Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Stuka - "Jolly Green"

Cool Project Stuka - "Jolly Green"

It turns out several really cool things happen when you go to a meet like SELEM, not the least of which is being "inspired" to pursue aspects of this particular hobby / obsession that were previously just passing thoughts.

Case in point - I have been interested in acquiring a high-power laser since seeing DreamBeamz gear in action in Charlotte last fall. Well, as luck would have it, one of the attendees at SELEM was Gottaluvlasers, a.k.a Marc of CT Lasers, who just happens to be a US distributor for LaserWave. Well, after several e-mails, a couple of phone calls, reading some other reviews on the forums, and a momentary lapse of financial reason on my part (and a nice deal on the laser and dichros from Marc ), I am now the proud owner of a LaserWave 532nm 1-watt BEAST !!

Thank-you, Marc and Bridge !!

SERIOUS SIDEBAR - these high power lasers are NOT to be treated lightly! It took about 3 seconds for this laser to burn a nice little hole in my white plasterboard wall in my office! These puppies HAVE to be treated carefully!!

Product review notes - this laser is VERY well made, and everything is extremely heavy-duty! Both the laser and the driver board are equipped with massive heatsinks, with twin cooling fans on each device. The matched power supply is rated at 14 amps, which appears to be just right for the kit. The laser can be operated continuous, TTL, or analog modulated, easily selected by a couple of DIP switches on the driver board:

The fun part - I don't have a projector to put this bad-boy in (not yet! ), so I took this photos in the garage using a bounce mirror with some grating film I purchased from One Stop Laser Shop (Some of the shots used haze generated by my Antari Z3000 Fazer). My Lasercheck meter "pegs" at 1 watt, but Marc tells me he was able to measure 1.2 watts (+) - and I believe it!! This puppy is BRIGHT !!

Beams only:

Beams with bounce mirror & grating:

More in the gallery if anyone is interested:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/users/Stuka/

That's it for now - gotta' get back to working on "Project Stuka-RGB" before I burn a hole in something else with "Jolly Green"
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-14-2008 at 17:51.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

That a nice John Deere green laser!

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    That a nice John Deere green laser!
    Thanks!
    That's why I went with green for my first high-power laser - I needed to color-match the existing home accessories !
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-14-2008 at 17:45.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

believe it or not i was focused on that road bike as i looked at these pics.
    looks nice.

carbon fork?

I was concentrating on the laser, unlike everyone else!

Very nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    believe it or not i was focused on that road bike as i looked at these pics.
    looks nice.

carbon fork?
    That one is the wife's - she's into marathons and triathlons because she apparently enjoys them. Go figure! I run 2 miles several times a year because Uncle Sam says I have to, and that's enough for me!
    RR

Sweet.....

randy-

looks GREAT! now all you need is....

2W red. 2W blue. 50K scanners and youre all set! so, what was that amex gold card # again???

lol...

seriously, looks great! glad youre happy with your purchase. im looking forward to seeing this in a projector! keep us posted and keep posting the pics!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    randy-

looks GREAT! now all you need is....

2W red. 2W blue. 50K scanners and youre all set! so, what was that amex gold card # again???

lol...

seriously, looks great! glad youre happy with your purchase. im looking forward to seeing this in a projector! keep us posted and keep posting the pics!

-Marc

...I'm completely ignoring any ideas concerning further "upgrades" for the foreseeable future....my credit card melted.........

....so, what wavelengths are we talking about, anyway?
    RR

Sweet.....

That would be, 2W of 635, and 2W of 457nm. That should do it nicely!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have one of those bikes, do I need to bring it to the next SELEM?

Steve