Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGB Project

Default RGB Project

I'm building my RGB Projo. My alum plate appears to be getting croweded with stuff.
    The plate is 16 x 12" and I'm thinking of moving the Blue power supplw and other boards to a lower level. Anyone else made a split-foyer project?

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RGB-1.jpg  

Lightbulb

From what I have seen, most people use a split level plan. I have my power supplies attached to the top of my projector and all the components on teh bottome. I might be able to slide another board in the middle and call it split level...

Your's is looking good so far.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I'm planning on leaving the stuff needing adjustment and allignment on the top. Easy access to all the screws Then a rear panel for switches and connectors.

Mike

Mike, that design you have looks good! TBH multi level is good if you cant fit everything on the 1 level, and want it to be smaller, but if you can fit it all on one level nicely it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    From what I have seen, most people use a split level plan. I have my power supplies attached to the top of my projector and all the components on teh bottome. I might be able to slide another board in the middle and call it split level...

Your's is looking good so far.
    Someone else who thinks like me.

I've been wondering for a while why everyone seems to put PSU's on the bottom and components on the top.

After all the hottest thing in the case should be the psu's and hot air rises which means to my way of thinking, you're just adding more heat to the lasers etc on top if the PSU's are on the bottom. Which is why I've always though it makes sense to put PSU's on the top and the lasers on the bottom.

If you have enough fans, that shouldnt be much of a problem

Looking good, Mike!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

What the pictures don't always show is all the cables. A true rat's nest of wire. The power supplies don't get too hot and I want access to the adjustments. I plan to make the upper level hinged so it opens up easily.

Mike

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    What the pictures don't always show is all the cables. A true rat's nest of wire.
    Haha! You don't know rat's nests! (No, Aaron, I'm not picking on you this time!)

I've had some truely awful wiring in the various incarnations of my projector over the past few years. And due to a recent crisis that involved multiple laser swaps just hours before SELEM 2008 was due to start, my projector right now is in its worst state ever. Sigh...

Once I get caught up around the house, I'm going to spend an entire weekend re-wiring the whole damn thing. But that's going to have to wait a while I think...

Bottom line: rat's nest wiring just means you were too rushed to do it neatly. (But, admittedly, it causes problems later on...)

Adam

hey mike-

laser is lookin GREAT!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems