Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd musician Richard Wright dead at 65

Unhappy Pink Floyd musician Richard Wright dead at 65

NEW YORK, Sept. 15 (UPI) -- Pink Floyd founding member and keyboardist Rick Wright has died of cancer at the age of 65, his family said Monday. "The family of Richard Wright, founder member of Pink Floyd, announce with great sadness that Richard died today after a short struggle with cancer," Wright's spokesman told Rolling Stone magazine. "The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this difficult time."
    Wright was one of the rock band's original members, along with Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Nick Mason.
    The London-born musician played with the group until a falling out with Waters after "The Wall" in 1979. Wright later rejoined the band when David Gilmour took over after Waters departed in the early 1980s.
    Wright also played with the band when it reunited in 2005 for the Live 8 concert in London and had recently performed with David Gilmour on his solo tour, Rolling Stone said.
    NME.com noted he worked on all but one of the band's 14 studio releases, including "The Dark Side Of The Moon" in 1973.
    "He was such a lovely, gentle, genuine man and will be missed terribly by so many who loved him," the BBC said Gilmour wrote on his Web site. "And that's a lot of people. Did he not get the loudest, longest round of applause at the end of every show in 2006?"
    Wright is survived by his wife Millie and three children, NME.com said.

Unhappy

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! As if today wasn't going in a bad direction... I will have to go home now listen to all the albums I have... Not sure I can get to them all in one night.

Guess he and Syd are sitting on the Dark Side enjoying a good view.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

very sad news...I love Pink Floyd. They are definitely my favourite band. They are real artists and the only ones who somehow managed to give music a light like taste and vice versa. They were always great in every performance and their genius will last forever in the history of music and art. I am really sad to hear that Richard is dead. He was a wonderful keyboardist and person. We'll surely miss him. Now the dream of seeing Pink Floyd together again in a last tour, will never come true. I'll take a minute of silence in memory of Richard Wright and then listen to their albums...

Lame! It's really starting to look like everybody dies at some point in their lives, no matter what.

I was just listening to Wish You Were Here on the radio. I'm going to go ahead and assume they were playing that song on purpose now.

Rest in peace, Mr. Wright.

-Jonathan

Wish you were here...it's the first song I chose to listen to when I read about his death...

The man that just left us,
    left his fingerprints in the history.
    To Richard Wright
    that after so many psichedelic trips
    has just departed for the most extreme journey
    toward the infinite

Damn, very sad news... Gonna have to fire up the projector and run a PF show in tribute. Oh, wait, doh!

Favorite track: Shine on you Crazy Diamond, followed by Dogs of War.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Damn, very sad news... Gonna have to fire up the projector and run a PF show in tribute. Oh, wait, doh!

Favorite track: Shine on you Crazy Diamond, followed by Dogs of War.
    Oh man... Sorry David! And I won't have time to set it up until the weekend at the earliest. (Wouldn't believe how busy it's been since I got back.)

Adam

Lightbulb

I am throwing up a tribute ustream. I have split my RGB and have two scopes and the Laser FX going. I will play a couple of albums before bed; Obscured by Clouds with Meddle on deck...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/allthats-cam

I was really hoping the band would do a reunion tour at some point.
    God bless him and his family at this time of great sorrow.

M