Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New diode laser driver available: FlexMod 1!

Default New diode laser driver available: FlexMod 1!

Pre-built units are now available. PM me for details

Hello, announcing availablility of a new DIY laser driver: the FlexMod1. This driver was designed to fill in the voids that other drivers have created. It has a few options not available elsewhere:

0-bias point setting: You can set a DC current level that is just below lasing threshold, this driver will use that as the 0 modulation level, giving a linear output brightness response range from 0-5V input.

Response speed setting: This driver was designed with speed and versatility in mind. It has a top end modulation capability in the MHz, but the response speed can be slowed down to as low as 20kHz to match the other lasers in your system.

High current drive capability: The driver can modulate diodes up to 5A when a good heatsink is attached.

Here are the specs:
    Power input: 5-12VDC
    Analog Input: 0-12V max, usually you set to 5V full range
    TTL input: 0-5V Off-On
    Gain setting: 11 turn pot with 2 ranges 0-500mA, 0-5A output.
    Bias setting: 11 turn pot range 0-1A output
    Dimensions: 31x21.5mm

It is currently available in kit form, you need a fine tipped soldering iron. $20 kit (unassembled) + $2 shipping to the USA.

Here is a photo of an assembled unit:

2 demontrative scope traces (the bottom trace is the important reading.. current.)
    200kHz, 500mA:

200kHz, 1A:
    Last edited by drlava; 07-17-2008 at 10:44. Reason: update for pics

Thumbs up

Hi Dr. Lava,

I'd like 2 of your FlexMod1 drivers. Do you accept Paypal? If so, please post (or PM) your Paypal name and I'll send you $44 USD.

Thanks!

Tim

(1) Do you have a picture and dimensions of a finished board?

(2) Will the laser diode cathode be at ground or will it be at some voltage level?

Cool

Put me down for two of them also. PM me with an addy to send the funds to. Thanks for the hard work that I know you put into these projects.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Question

When will you be selling complete boards for us, solder challanged? if at all...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

This looks interesting. Very nice specs. A picture of the assembled board would indeed be nice too.

How much would shipping to Sweden be for, say 3 kits?

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    (1) Do you have a picture and dimensions of a finished board?

(2) Will the laser diode cathode be at ground or will it be at some voltage level?
    Hi,
    1) The dimensions are in the first post. I added a pic of it also.
    2) The anode (of a red laser) will be at PSU + potential and the cathode will be at driving potential, so care must be taken with the diode casing. There are a few possible electrical isolation solutions. For 808nm laser diodes, it's the other way around.

Great work!!

Do you think it's a good idea to use this driver to replace the one of my Lasever 200mW 532nm (just the diode driver, I'll keep the original driver for the TEC part)? Its analog modulation isn't linear at all, there's a big hole at 3V...

International shipping via the 'slow boat' 1st class mail will be $5, otherwise contact me with the shipping type you want (priority, express) and I can tell you how much. Completed units will be available once there are a few built and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Great work!!

Do you think it's a good idea to use this driver to replace the one of my Lasever 200mW 532nm (just the diode driver, I'll keep the original driver for the TEC part)? Its analog modulation isn't linear at all, there's a big hole at 3V...
    If the hole at 3V is caused by a nonlinearity in your crystal response, the driver won't help at all. If it's caused by nonlinearity in the OEM driver output, it would help. Changing it out, though, is a somewhat advanced procedure I'd definitely recommend having an oscilloscope on hand for tewaking.

Please PM me with an addy to send funds to. I will assemble and test a board for allthat...I owe him a favor or two. You guys can work out the funding or I will just take 3 and mail it to him after assembly and testing. Thanks and let me know......
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich