Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World's First 642nm 150mW Laser Diode

Ah, but then 140€ would be cheaper than 135 pounds

Does that price include tax FourDee?

I believe it does

I emailed Photonic to see if there was any change in price and they are now offering them for £117 each including VAT for a minimum order of 25pcs and they have them in stock.

Unless FourDee's price is including taxes and is willing to run a GB on these, this seems to be a pretty good deal.

So then, if these these HL6385DG's are £117.50 each + shipping, who's interested in how many? FourDee's price may even be cheaper, but it doesn't hurt to see who's seriously interested. I don't mean who would "really-really-really" like some, but who actually has the money ready now, and will put their name in to buy one or more in the very, very near future? If Photonic supply, in my experience with them, if we miss getting them from current stock then the price may change... they obviously get bulk discount from Opnext depending on the qty they order at the time.

Spec sheet here -
    http://www.photonic-products.co.uk/p...t/hl6385dg.pdf

Same pinout as the HL6545MG's (if that's what you're running) only visually a hellava lot brighter than one of them spitting out 200mW. Same great tight beam spec as well.

Adam is arranging a GB to mix this wavelength with 660nm's too - if you want to go red bonkers-crackers-crazy

Will I obtain a significant brightness increase if I replace my actual 2x 660nm diodes (doing 500mW) by 2x 642nm but only 300mW?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Will I obtain a significant brightness increase if I replace my actual 2x 660nm diodes (doing 500mW) by 2x 642nm but only 300mW?
    search "CIE curve" for the range of colors you can create,

then look at this:

http://www.physics.uc.edu/~sitko/Lig...easurement.htm

during a show or display, you are dominated by the photopic curve, the first figure in the link above.

deeper reds give a larger color range and scatter off fog better, but the 640 wins in shear apparent power.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-17-2008 at 07:42.

I would say 2 of these would be much brighter..
    640nm is visually twice as bright as 650nm and you're running 660's.
    I have only run one of these up for a few minutes and not seen the beam through fog in the dark, but would say that the spot of a 150mW/642nm is over 3 times brighter than a 200mW Opnext HL6545MG.

Anyone got an eyeball sensitivity chart handy to give the scientific version of the 640/660 comparison?

FourDee - have you confirmed the price/availability and minimum qty with your supplier, and are you willing to run a GB on these little fellas if there's enough interest?

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    I emailed Photonic to see if there was any change in price and they are now offering them for £117 each including VAT for a minimum order of 25pcs and they have them in stock.

Unless FourDee's price is including taxes and is willing to run a GB on these, this seems to be a pretty good deal.

So then, if these these HL6385DG's are £117.50 each + shipping, who's interested in how many? FourDee's price may even be cheaper, but it doesn't hurt to see who's seriously interested. I don't mean who would "really-really-really" like some, but who actually has the money ready now, and will put their name in to buy one or more in the very, very near future? If Photonic supply, in my experience with them, if we miss getting them from current stock then the price may change... they obviously get bulk discount from Opnext depending on the qty they order at the time.

Spec sheet here -
    http://www.photonic-products.co.uk/p...t/hl6385dg.pdf

Same pinout as the HL6545MG's (if that's what you're running) only visually a hellava lot brighter than one of them spitting out 200mW. Same great tight beam spec as well.

Adam is arranging a GB to mix this wavelength with 660nm's too - if you want to go red bonkers-crackers-crazy
    The price difference isn't big so if you like you can lead the GB (i don't have that much time )

Default optics

any special optics required for these diodes or will they work in my aixiz housings with three element glass lens? will they work with bridges pbs and dichros?

They'll be fine in the Aixiz or any other housing designed for a standard 5.6mm can.
    Should also work with the same collimating lenses, losses will depend on the AR coating on them.
    PBS will also work ok in polaris(Z)ation terms, losses will again depend on the AR coating. If using the cubes acquired from Bridge in the GB some time ago, they are coated for red with a 650nm centre wavelength so I can't see the losses being too bad at 640nm.
    Dichro efficiency will once again depend on the design wavelength of the coating. If you have a 635nm laser you can check it with that as it'll be much closer to the 640nm than a hard pushed DVD diode - which could well be up into the mid/high 660nm's if not chilled to fcuk.