Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dvd-r or dvd+r

Ouch... I used DVD+R for all the SELEM DVD's I sent out. Did anyone have a problem playing them on their DVD players? I checked the master on many players to make sure I wasn't going to have a problem. Guess I'll have to switch to DVD-R from now on.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Ouch... I used DVD+R for all the SELEM DVD's I sent out. Did anyone have a problem playing them on their DVD players? I checked the master on many players to make sure I wasn't going to have a problem. Guess I'll have to switch to DVD-R from now on.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    It's funny you ask this. I had no luck getting it to play on my computer, but it worked just fine on my other computer I have here.

I figured it's because my computer has too many fans and there's a bunch of dust in the drive, but now I'm starting to wonder with all of this pro-DVD-R rhetoric I'm seeing here.

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Mine played fine on my desktop and home theater DVD player, but stuttered on my laptop - but then again, my laptop has been on 2 overseas deployments, and it is starting to show some wear and tear (like the owner )!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

I didn't have any problems playing the disc on my DVD player or my computer.

Having said that, I've always had better luck with DVD-r blanks. In the early days there were a lot of DVD players that would not read DVD+r discs. I think these days most any DVD player will read both formats, but nevertheless I continue to purchase the DVD-r media just in case.

Adam

Thanks Guys,
    Glad to hear it works in most drives. I just tried the DVD in an older laptop I have here and it didn't work either. Seems that some of the older DVD drives do not like the DVD+R disks.
    Thanks!
    Adam

whats with this crap?? DVD-R or DVD+R. why cant there just be BLANK DVD's??

i have asked around a little more and from the census i am getting it has soemthing to do with the dyes that are used with the DVD-R's. i guess they are supposedly a better type of dye??

also found some of this interesting:

"The DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and -RW media formats are officially approved by the standards group DVD Forum. The DVD Forum was founded by Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi, and Time Warner, so it has tremendous industry support for its technical standards." -Quoted from HERE.

"DVD+R ("DVD plus” R) and +RW formats are not approved by the DVD Forum standards group, but are instead supported by the DVD+RW Alliance. " -same quoted reference.

"They are competing formats...the main difference is how the info is written to the disc (sector use).

The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer in the autumn of 1997. It is supported by most DVD players, and is approved by the DVD Forum.

A DVD+R is a writable optical disc with 4.7 GB (4.38 GiB) of storage capacity (more precisely, 2295104 sectors of 2048 bytes each). The format was developed by a coalition of corporations, known as the DVD+RW Alliance, in mid 2002. Since the DVD+R format is a competing format to the DVD-R format, which is developed by the DVD Forum, it has not been approved by the DVD Forum, which claims that the DVD+R format is not an official DVD form.

Take alook here:
    http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm
    and you will see that there are a different number of sectors used in each format which means you need a machine capable of adjust to each."
    -REFERENCE
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

It’s not only the choice between DVD-R and DVD+R but also the manufacturer of the discs. There are many brands of recordable media but only a few factories actually producing them. Some shops do show the mediacode of the discs and this can give some more information but then there’s still difference between each location of the producing company, different batches & also counterfeit.

The mediacode is used by your burner to select the writing strategy from a table inside it’s firmware. So even when you buy the same brand & type, it can be produced in a different factory and might need a different writing strategy. This is why getting the latest firmware (with an updated table) might improve the quality of your burn.

There’s a large difference between quality of the different factories. Lower quality discs can result it more errors on the recorded surface. A normal user won’t really notice this because the error correction of your reader will correct this. But the older your disc is getting the more errors it will contain. I have many old CD-R’s, the quality media is still readable but this is not the case with the cheaper ones that I had to throw away a few years ago so remember this if you want to store data for a long time (photo’s etc.). Lowering the write speed can also improve the quality of your burn. If you want to know more about this then I would definitely recommend to visit the cdfreaks forum, they have a section about blank media.

It is true that some (standalone) readers are picky about the media used. If you use +R media it can help to set the booktype to “DVD-ROM”, how to do this depends on your software & burner (not all do support this feature).

Personally I only use DVD+R media created by “Taiyo Yuden” in Japan, their code usually starts with “YUDEN” or “TYG” and never had problems. Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC) is also a good choice but their media is created in different county’s and quality may vary.

To sum it all up:
    -Use quality media only
    -Get latest firmware for your burner
    -Set booktype to “DVD-ROM” if you use +R