Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: No See Um Netting

I guess if there's other folks in the UK that wants some of this stuff we could all get together and place a combined order. That should keep the shipping down to a reasonable level, we may even get a price break.

How about we ask the seller to put a posting up here on PL with some 'standard' sizes and postage costs. This would save him getting loads of individual enquiries and perhaps get him more business.

Any thoughts?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem,

I found this stuff in the UK but how it compares, I'm not sure. Its available off the roll in fibreglass mesh also (scroll down to the bottom):

http://www.flyscreenqueen.co.uk/windows.htm

They do a fibreglass based mesh as well as a poyester mesh, the main difference appearing to be increased rigidity with fibreglass.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Jem,

I found this stuff in the UK but how it compares, I'm not sure. Its available off the roll in fibreglass mesh also (scroll down to the bottom):

http://www.flyscreenqueen.co.uk/windows.htm

They do a fibreglass based mesh as well as a poyester mesh, the main difference appearing to be increased rigidity with fibreglass.
    does look good - liking the rigidity with the fibreglass - guessing it would highly fire safe too
    http://inselaffe.org

http://www.myspace.com/majorleeblunt

An Eye for a Eye only makes the World Blind - Ghandi

Laserworld 750mW Proline RGB
    Laserworld Quad 400mW RG
    Lanta 180mW RGY

looks great make sure you bring it to the 3.5 meet
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Coincidence?
    I have projected my laser on something similar to this - some sort of net against mosquito's next to my bed this afternoon, and it looked... well... my laser has only... er... 2K scan speed .

So I discovered my laser is not good for graphic shows .

[edit:] Finally! 30 messages! I'm a Member now!
    Moohaa!
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 09-20-2008 at 09:58. Reason: If you really want to know, you can always ask

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    looks great make sure you bring it to the 3.5 meet
    I'm planning to.
    Just hope that the hall that Jim's arranged is high enough.

Hey Sofo -

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Cheers for the fogger tip dsli_Jon.
    Sure thing! - and just fyi, we use the same method for our smaller, indoor scrims, that we use for the giant ones - just use a smaller-diameter cable across the top (just make sure it's vinyl-clad, so no chafing, etc) and even 1/2" PVC thru the bottom pockey will suffice for weight - here's another good 'pass-thru' example, indoors...

...killer avatar, btw ‹(OżO)›
    cheers..

Hey Jem -

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    How about we ask the seller to put a posting up here on PL with some 'standard' sizes and postage costs. This would save him getting loads of individual enquiries and perhaps get him more business.
    We have a couple scrims on order with David right now - I'll talk to him about this, and see his thoughts - good idea to have a single or limited-point of requests, so he does not get inundated, and tell everybody to just go bugger-off, ya know?...

What sizes would be of interest over on that side of the pond? Here, seems like 2 x 3-ratio sizes are pretty common, and 'widescreen' sizes, too (2 x 4) - ie: we use 10' x 10', 12' x 15', 20' x 20', 20' x 30' and 40' x 60' (!!) - 20' x 30' is the biggest we've tested / use outdoors - too scared to try the granddaddy on a show, but maybe sometime... ...lemme know...

cheers..
    j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSLS_VLB_19.jpg  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    I'm planning to.
    Just hope that the hall that Jim's arranged is high enough.
    excellent, look forward to it
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Sofo -

Sure thing! - and just fyi, we use the same method for our smaller, indoor scrims, that we use for the giant ones - just use a smaller-diameter cable across the top (just make sure it's vinyl-clad, so no chafing, etc) and even 1/2" PVC thru the bottom pockey will suffice for weight - here's another good 'pass-thru' example, indoors...
    Sounds like some good tips there Jon. I can see something wrong with that video though John as there's a lot of laser light actually passing through the scrim as beams. Maybe its the laser power your using or maybe the scrims a bit too open weave, but I personally find the beams distract and obscure the graphics behind that are on the scrim.

Compare your scrim to Soforenes, and you'll see what I mean, his beams seem to stop dead at the scrim (apologies for the picture size I can't control the size as its linked to Soferen's gallery):

Most other scrim based shows are like this so you obviously have a problem somewhere with either laser power or weave size as you're getting too much beam penetration.

Lightbulb

Hey RGB -

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Sounds like some good tips there Jon. I can see something wrong with that video though John as there's a lot of laser light actually passing through the scrim as beams. Maybe its the laser power your using or maybe the scrims a bit too open weave, but I personally find the beams distract and obscure the graphics behind that are on the scrim.

Most other scrim based shows are like this so you obviously have a problem somewhere with either laser power or weave size as you're getting too much beam penetration.
    lol - that is the whole POINT, my friend! - pass-thru - what you are not realizing is that the 'obscurity' of the graphics in the video are only because #1, the video-quality of this clip was crap to begin-with (VHS-C >> digital, scaled 2x >> YT) then YuckTube codecs degrade it even further - worsened by the fact that #2, this particular camera's CCD can't 'take' the extreme-high contrast of 16 Watts of Laser-light blasting-out from darkness, (and made 3x worse by a lot of fog/haze being in the air) while it is in 'slow-shutter' mode, which is used to cut-down on the typical 'flicker' and 'missing segments' you see on most videos of laser shows (due to interference between the scan-rate of the camera and the scan-rate of the galvos) - so, perfectly-accurate, 'how-it-looks-in-real-life' clarity is not possible via this method, because this camera always 'blows-out' the contrast... the graphcis + atmospherics are beautiful in real-life..

So the point is, you're making a judgment on something not looking good, when your method of evaluating how it really looks in real-life is 'handicapped' (video) - still-shots give a better idea of the true clarity and crispness of the graphics - ie: this...

...gives a much better idea of how crisp, yet engaging it looks in real-life, even with a high-power system. Even so, nothing can match the real-life experience of being there, so next time you are in the US, why not come to one of our shows, where we're using one of these scrims with a high-power WL, and then post a review?!

The only purpose of YouTube is simply to give people an 'accessible-from-anywhere' idea of how the lasers are synced with music (because a lot of potential-clients who've never seen a laser-show, don't 'get' what is happening, even seeing the clear still-shots) and
    a general idea of how they look in-space - if they really need to see clarity, then we send them a DVD with hi-res video.

Dig?

peace...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 09-21-2008 at 06:47. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...