Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: No See Um Netting

Hi Jon

It would be great if you could talk to David and get him to pop his head in here sometime. I reckon that 2 x 3 aspect ratio would be pretty good for most folks here. Just need to work out a few standard sizes

Look forward to developments.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thumbs up

These scrims are a great find... Compared to official laser screens they are a fraction of the price...
    I would be interested in getting possibly two of them. 3Mtr x 3Mtr and 1Mtr x 1Mtr for home use...
    I'm not so sure about the fibreglass stuff though. It have been looking for some king of scrim and tried of all things 'Hatmakers Weave' I is a fine mesh and is pretty stiff.. The graphics look great on the screen, but the fibres making the mesh are thicker, so the beams coming out the front are visibly split.. Sorry, don't have a photo I have a feeling the fibreglass stuff might give the same effect.

Jon - You seem to have an amazing photo for every occasion... Keep em coming

Cheers
    Mark

Hey Jem -

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi Jon

It would be great if you could talk to David and get him to pop his head in here sometime. I reckon that 2 x 3 aspect ratio would be pretty good for most folks here. Just need to work out a few standard sizes

Look forward to developments.
    Actually spoke to David last night about it (he's repairing a tear in one of ours, right now...) and he said to the extent that we can make them in sections of 3' wide (ie: 9' rather than 10') that will be less-expensive than one with a little 1' piece sewn-on... but I told him that may not always be possible, cause sometimes, we need to have a square (ie: 10' x 10') or one that fits a standard video-screen, for example, and that may-not always fall-into multiples of 3'...

So, here's an idea - here is a 'starter' of some common sizes - why don't you all add to this as you see fit / desire, and I'll send to David, and post his reply, with pricing... And rest-assured, you will NOT see 'mark-up' from me / us - these will be his direct-prices - we neither have time nor desire to be a 'distributor' for them - we're on the road too much to be attentive to that - best you all go to Skeeta, direct for your goodies...

OK, here's a starter-list:
    (Sizes are H x W)

2' x 3' (for shop programming / small demos / laser-signs, etc)
    4' x 5' ( " )
    10' x 10'
    12' x 16'
    15' x 20'
    20' x 20',
    20' x 30'
    ????

I also asked him to give us pricing for various options; ie: single-stich (for pockets), double-stich (for stronger, outdoor / larger scrims), all-4-side pockets, with cut-off corners (in-place of gromments, which won't work with this material - too delicate...) and corner-reinforcing patches (again, for the larger, outdoor scrims)...

lemme know.. PS I'll be offline till tomorrow, so please be patient...

RE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Jon - You seem to have an amazing photo for every occasion... Keep em coming
    Hahaha...Thanks! - yeah, after 15 years of doing shows, they tend to pile-up on ya!

Cheers...
    J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

John it wasn't intended to be review and I didn't mean to offend you. It was just an observation on the video you posted. If nobody ever critiques anything, then nobody ever gets better or understands why things are the way they are be it poor video or actual effect problem.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ..16 Watts of Laser-light blasting-out from darkness...
    Blimey.
    All I had at my command was 250 mw so it's no wonder there was little penetration.
    Added to that was the fact that I was pumping out smoke behind the scrim which (based on what I know now) is bound to degrade the viewing experience.

I quite like the fact that beams come through the scrim and can be viewed by the audience creating a pattern/graphic before carrying on over their heads.
    That's part of the extra dimension that I was talking about.

If you just want to back project, buy a telly.

I'd be interested in a 3 x 4 and a 12 x 16, but would like to know prices

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Cool

Hey RGB -

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    John it wasn't intended to be review and I didn't mean to offend you. It was just an observation on the video you posted. If nobody ever critiques anything, then nobody ever gets better or understands why things are the way they are be it poor video or actual effect problem.
    No offense taken, m8! But my point to you was that you were saying that 'something is wrong' in the way we're doing this / wrong material, etc, and I am just saying that from where I sit, the only thing 'wrong' is the crappy video... - you really need to see it in real-life with this much power - graphics are quite crisp and not 'obscured' at all, and the atmospherics are amazingly breathtaking, not distracting...

And you're right - we need crits to learn, so thanks for reminding me how very bad YuckTube makes things look! - now that they support 'high-quality' we'll have to re-rip and re-post - but no time for now... gotta saddle up for another sho...

cheers...

Hey Jem -

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I'd be interested in a 3 x 4 and a 12 x 16, but would like to know prices
    I'll send all our requests to him as a list at once - what I need is input from any interested 'scrimmers' on other sizes than those I listed - what would be most in-demand over in Europe / Aussieland / Northern Eurolands?? etc, etc...

Lemme know - otherwise, I will be sending him just the above list - and of course, each will have to get shipping to their own country quoted separate - I don't think there is an 'all-encompassing' way to quote pricing for that (???)

cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by cruch View Post
    Yes, but that does not take into account custom-cut sizes / sewing / pockets / reinforcements etc... But what I can tell you is they are VERY reasonable - ie: our 20' x 30'-ers are like $400. - that, compared to the $1250. we paid for an equal-size fiberglass-mesh a few years back - and that was USED!!

So, Skeeta is way - not the end-all / be-all material, but great prices and great results, IMHO...

ciao for now..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Gee I would have thought that with 250mm you would get good penetration..

oops sorry just re read it its 250 milliwatts not 250 millimeters
    that would have been 9.84 inches.... penetration ... pretty good I think

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

Oooohhh you are awful !!
    But I like you.