Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: No See Um Netting

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    now that they support 'high-quality' we'll have to re-rip and re-post - but no time for now... gotta saddle up for another sho...
    Try SD MPEG 4 at 4,000kbs. Thats what I use and it produces some very nice results. That said, if anyone knows a better setting still, I'm all ears.

Here's a test file I've put up from my camcorder for you at those settings (my other vids were in low light so not a true representation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKUwLcV_GE&fmt=18

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Loosing the revolutionary war to the bloody Yanks...
    Apparently we let you win because you cried:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotYryA3uss&fmt=18

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Apparently we let you win because you cried:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotYryA3uss&fmt=18
    Touche`

Adam

PS: Glad we can joke about it. Was more than a little concerned that I shouldn't post that above - but decided to go for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Touche`

Adam

PS: Glad we can joke about it. Was more than a little concerned that I shouldn't post that above - but decided to go for it anyway.
    I'm not easily offended, love a bit of banter.

is this stuff flame retardant ?
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Lightbulb

Why not drop an email to David at Skeeta.
    He's best placed to know about the tech specs of his product.

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    is this stuff flame retardant ?
    I asked the same question and here is the reply from DLSIJon, who seems to use it a lot...

Well, not sure we can say if it is 'certified' or not - worth a call to Skeeta - but I can testify, we've had fire marshals on gigs insist on doing an actual 'flame-test' (fortunately, we had a small scrap to test with...) and it did not stay lit - it just shrank-back and smoked a bit - that is what they look for, if it will STAY lit, or just go-out by itself. So, it passed. But, 'certified '- ???? ..ask David, I guess...

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Mark

Based on the info received on supporting the netting (isn't this just the dandiest forum!) I tracked down some 3 metre piping from a builders mechant.
    As it was 21mm by 3 metres it easily fitted into the 3" sleeve sewn into the netting.
    Once it was in place, it highlighted an discrepancy with my ordered netting though as I had ordered a 3M x 3M piece of netting but had only been supplied with a 2.7M x 3M piece (I hadn't bothered to measure it on arrival).
    No biggie for me but if anyone orders a specific size for a specific job, it might be worth stressing that you want the size as ordered.

It was the mention of stress points that prompted me to go for the pipe solution and it has to be said that the pipe does indeed spread the load evenly across the scrim (as you'd expect).

It's still very susceptible to the slightest breeze though (as you'd expect from what is in effect a big sail) so secure tethering is highly recommended.

You can also use net curtain material - available from any high-street fabric shop. You can enhance the effect by washing the net in any washing detergent that has fluorescent whitening agent in - the stuff that makes clubbers 'T' shirts glow blue-white under UV - or by using 'invisible' UV paint - the sort that glows blue under UV light. The effect works well if you have several layers a few feet apart, you get a '3D' look; it also helps to keep the smoke where you want it to stay.
    It would be interesting to make a fabric or polythene cube - or other polygonal geometric shape!!) fed by a fogger and project the laser into that - not tried it myself but may do one day!

On a similar subject, white vinyl shower curtains (under a fiver from B&Q) make good cheap projection screens! Hem the edges with nylon cord inside the hem, then use 'punch-through' eyelets every 6" - the nylon cord stops tearing under tension. Use plastic pipe for the frame and lace the screen to it with a slight tension to keep the screen flat.

Bring your curtain net and shower curtain to UKLEM 3 1/2 and we can do a comparison.