Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin User Meeting Results (and more Free Laser Shows)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    But it didn’t win, it got Honorable Mention.

I know - I mean I'm surprised it got that. There were other shows that were better in my opinion. There were several beam shows that were *really* good.

Having said that, Standing in Motion *is* a great beam show. I would have been happier if it had been second place though, and Rythm is a Dancer had taken first place.
    The other things to point out in this show are: the eyes on the face that are Abstracts (I think)

Yes, they are abstracts. Also, the disco lights on the dance floor squares are also abstracts. Very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I thought the show had some cool stuff in it. But, not the dancers in it. They were boring for me.
    It's the technical challenge of roto-scoping all that animation that is impressive.

Adam

Hey Tocket

I post a response to you in the wrong thread so I thought I’d post here just in case you didn’t see it

I have posted the “Standing in Motion” show up on YouTube.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UcIEBZQt1FM

I also posted “La Luna”

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hrV0F0WW5TU

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Hey Tocket

I post a response to you in the wrong thread so I thought I’d post here just in case you didn’t see it

I also posted “La Luna”

Troy
    COOOOOOL
    more vids to look at when i get home!!

What hardware/software is used for that Standing in Motion show. I noticed that when the laser points near the camera that it is blanked to prevent blinding the person standing there. That is a nice feature that I have been planning on adding to my software for some time. I assume it is some Pangolin variation?

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    What hardware/software is used for that Standing in Motion show. I noticed that when the laser points near the camera that it is blanked to prevent blinding the person standing there. That is a nice feature that I have been planning on adding to my software for some time. I assume it is some Pangolin variation?
    its the beam atenuation map of the LD2K system...
    its a neat feature that saves your sensor wen filming and more important... it saves the vision of the crowd you are scanning or don't want to scan.

you can dim or blankout area's anywhere in the projection field from 0% to 100%....

Smile

Anthony is correct. And yeah, this is not something that is part of the Standing in Motion show itself. It's a feature of LD-2000 system, and it can be used on any show you want to display (including a live performance using LivePro.)

Basically you have a greyscale bitmapped image that represents the entire scan field. Areas that are white are displayed at full power (or whatever power level is specified by the frame data). Areas that are painted grey are attenuated. The attenuation is proportional to how dark the area is painted. Black areas are attenuated to zero output.

One very powerful way to use this feature is to make a gradient from white to dark grey and position the start of the gradient well above the audience. That way as the beams move down and get closer to the audience, the power in each beam goes down. But since the observation angle is also getting more shallow (as the beam moves lower, the beams are closer to being head-on), the beams will have a tendency to look brighter just from the change in angle. So the net effect of the two effets combined is that the beams appear to be roughtly the same intensity no matter what the viewing angle.

Adam

Interesting. I wonder what happens if you have a white mask with a black square and then overlay it while displaying a single line with only two points. One on either side of the square so that the black square has a line going through it. Will it be smart enough to split the line into two segments? If so, that is impressive.

Cool

Yes, it will split the line into two segments. Well, wait. Let me rephrase that. I know it will split an otherwise unbroken white line because I've seen it done. But I don't know if it will work in the specific example you mentioned where there are 2 and only 2 points in the entire frame. I'd have to test that specific case to be certain. But my gut tells me that it will still work.

We actually played around with this at FLEM a little bit (well, and on the ILDA cruise too). Best way to see what the beam attenuation map does is to load up the "grid" test pattern and then start drawing in black on the beam attenuation map. Anywhere you draw a line, you'll see the grid pattern dissappear. It's really cool!

I realize this is not of much use to you, Gary, as you don't have any Pangolin users local to you. But I promise if you come to FLEM or SELEM, I'll fire it up and let you tinker with it all you want. In the mean time, I'll try to make some time this weekend to test it at home.

Adam

It helps. I was just curious to what extent it works. It's real easy to do it for each point by checking it's location in the map. But that will only work if the image has a lot of points in it.

To do the example I mentioned would mean that the box edge would have to be detected, then an interpolated point would have to be created where the line hits the box edge. Basically two new lines would have to be created. (2 new points added at the bog edge).

And if the box was shaded with a gradiant that would be even more insane to do with only a two point line. It would be a good experiment.

Hey Tocket

I also posted “La Luna”

Troy
    Sweet! They are nice shows. Standing in motion is a very well varied and I never got the feeling that it's just the same thing again. I still think Rhythm is a dancer should have won though. Shame the old farts in the jury don't see the charm in 90s music.