Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin User Meeting Results (and more Free Laser Shows)

Default Pangolin User Meeting Results (and more Free Laser Shows)

Hi All,

The Pangolin User Meeting for 2008 was held September 11, 2008, within a conference room on board the Carnival Imagination cruise ship. This was held as part of the 2008 ILDA meeting.

This year, we had 19 entries for the Pangolin Prize competition. All entries were EXCELLENT and many were created with Lasershow Converter MAX.

Some of the folks from Photon Lexicon were present at the meeting, and saw the laser shows in the Pangolin Prize competition.

We would like to express our thanks to everyone who participated, and also congratulate the following winners:

1st Place: "Standing in motion" beam show, by Johannes Coppes, Laser Presentation, GERMANY

2nd Place: "Carol of the bells" beam show, by Doug Cenko, Strictly FX, USA

3rd Place: "Rhythm is a dancer" graphic show, by Harry de Boer, DTL Lasertechnology, THE NETHERLANDS

Honorable Mention: "We Are The Champions" graphic show, by Jay Heck, LFI International, USA

As a bonus for Pangolin users, three of the winning shows: Laser Presentations' "Standing In Motion", DTL's "Rhythm is a dancer", and LFI's "We are the champions" will be provided for free to all LD2000 users as part of a future update. Keep an eye on the What's new at Pangolin web page for more details.

To read a brief report about the 2008 Pangolin User Meeting, see this page: http://www.pangolin.com/industry/ild...ing_report.htm

In addition to these shows, more will be coming as well .

Best regards,

William Benner

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

Oh boy !!
    Free shows !!

I think it's been said before Bill but I'd like to reiterate, "You're a bloody nice chap!".

That's great news Bill, more shows is always good

I, as i'm sure everyone here does also, appreciate there is a huge amount of work involved in creating a show from scratch. It's something that I personally am just starting to get really in to. The depth of the LD2000/Showtime software is incredible, and it's not until you start to make shows that you truly appreciate what an incredible software package LD2000 is.

Would you please pass on our thanks to all the people who have donated these shows to the LD2000 user community. Thanks also to Pangolin for taking the time and effort to host them (and for supplying the means to write them in the first place ).

Can't wait for the downloads to become available (will there be music?)

I hope everyone who attended the ILDA conference had a great time !

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

WOW!! Sounds awsome!
    More shows...yeah!
    Looking forward to thoose shows...

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Would you please pass on our thanks to all the people who have donated these shows to the LD2000 user community.
    Just so you know, Jem, none of the shows mentioned were "donated". They will be distributed free to Pangolin LD2000 users, but they were not free to Pangolin. It has cost Pangolin around $12000 USD to distribute these shows!

Johannes Coppes is arguably one of the best, if not the best beam show artist of our time. Harry de Boer has worked in this industry as a laserist for more than 10 years, and has produced numerous ILDA and Pangolin Prize award winning shows over the years. And Jay Heck is the top laserist at LFI for more than 10 years -- LFI being one of the original laser companies in the U.S. None of these guys work for free!!

As you know, we include over 100 shows and demos with our system. But these are not just any shows, they are made by the top laser artist in the indusry. Very few of them have given us shows to distribute for free. I stopped to count how much it cost Pangolin to distribute the content we do with our systems, including the entire Lightspeed Laser Animation library. Last time I counted it was over $250,000 worth of licensing fees. Obviously now it's higher...

So you buy an LD2000 system (any version) and get over $250,000 worth of laser art along with it. Not a bad deal I would say... It's one of the (hopefully many) things that set us apart from our competitors.

By the way -- one thing should be obvious: If we did this for free, we wouldn't be able to afford to pay the best laserists in the world the kind of licensing fees required to distribute their shows. And we wouldn't be able to get the attention of some of the best computer graphics programmers in the world, including David Gould -- someone who worked for Disney, Pixar, and WED, programming CGI on movies like Lord Of The Rings and Hong Kong, just to name a few.

I sometimes here a few people who seem to bemoan companies that make a profit, but I would argue that it is those companies that are the ones driving their respective industries. If you take an honest view of the world, where would we be without Microsoft an Apple? But I digress...

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 09-20-2008 at 01:13.

Thanks for the content Bill. Although it doesn't affect me directly because I don't have an LD2000 system, I'm sure its appreciated by all. Not many companies would spend all that money just to give something to the their users for free.

As for people who bemoan companies making a profit, I can't say I know any personally although I'm sure there are some! Some of us here sometimes moan about the price of things, but I think thats more because of its a case of the price vs what we can afford than because we actually begrudge anyone making a profit.

Anyway, many thanks, you're a top bloke and have a great company. There aren't many other companies these days that really care about their customers, so its really nice to see one that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Just so you know, Jem, none of the shows mentioned were "donated". They will be distributed free to Pangolin LD2000 users, but they were not free to Pangolin. It has cost Pangolin around $12000 USD to distribute these shows!
    Well, what can I say? but I guess 'thanks' would be a rather humble way to start.

Johannes Coppes is arguably one of the best, if not the best beam show artist of our time. Harry de Boer has worked in this industry as a laserist for more than 10 years, and has produced numerous ILDA and Pangolin Prize award winning shows over the years. And Jay Heck is the top laserist at LFI for more than 10 years -- LFI being one of the original laser companies in the U.S. None of these guys work for free!!
    Can't wait to see the shows! The pre-made shows are great for inspiration when i'm completely devoid of ideas. I'm sure I speak for all LD2000 users when I say how much we appreciate the way you deal with and look after your customers

As you know, we include over 100 shows and demos with our system. But these are not just any shows, they are made by the top laser artist in the indusry. Very few of them have given us shows to distribute for free. I stopped to count how much it cost Pangolin to distribute the content we do with our systems, including the entire Lightspeed Laser Animation library. Last time I counted it was over $250,000 worth of licensing fees. Obviously now it's higher...

So you buy an LD2000 system (any version) and get over $250,000 worth of laser art along with it. Not a bad deal I would say... It's one of the (hopefully many) things that set us apart from our competitors.
    That's one of the primary reasons I initially decided to take the plunge and spend the money on an LD2000/QM2000.net system. It's hard to appreciate when making the decision to buy, but i've never looked back - it's the best thing I ever did and both I and my projector thank you for it - For anyone thinking of upgrading, the LD2000/QM2000 system really is worth every penny

By the way -- one thing should be obvious: If we did this for free, we wouldn't be able to afford to pay the best laserists in the world the kind of licensing fees required to distribute their shows. And we wouldn't be able to get the attention of some of the best computer graphics programmers in the world, including David Gould -- someone who worked for Disney, Pixar, and WED, programming CGI on movies like Lord Of The Rings and Hong Kong, just to name a few.

I sometimes here a few people who seem to bemoan companies that make a profit, but I would argue that it is those companies that are the ones driving their respective industries. If you take an honest view of the world, where would we be without Microsoft an Apple? But I digress...

Bill
    Whoa... Nothing at all wrong in making a profit. That's what keeps companies healthy. Every day of my working life i've been making a profit for our company. Needless to say that our company is still around whilst some of our competitors aren't

Just because you make a profit and are a healthy company doesn't make you mercenary. It's the little extras that make a company good, as Pangolin have proved time and time again.

Well done Bill and thanks again, I perhaps didn't put enough thought into my choice of words for my initial post.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

great news, its just a shame none work on the fb3
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    great news, its just a shame none work on the fb3
    There's an answer to that Andy, but I suspect you already know what that is

Jem

hahaha yes win the lottery!!!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat