Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti - Spaghetti - Spaghetti

Cool

Gary;

I'm installing Spaghetti right now. (Had to re-download all the .net framework stuff again - ARGH!) When I get it running though, I'd be happy to test it with my QM-2000 if you decide to support it.

Pangolin has a Software Development Kit for the QM-2000 that allows you to write all sorts of cool things that will run on the controller. That's how Mamba Black was able to write a driver for it. That's also where the Winamp Laser Visualizer Plug-in came from, and also where the Pangolin version of Asteroids came from.

Pangolin doesn't mind if you write software that runs on their hardware. They do draw the line on making their software run on other people's hardware, however. Bill has explained this as a simple customer support problem: If you have an issue and you're running someone else's DAC, is it the Pangolin software or the 3rd party hardware that is causing the problem? You can see where this would lead...

Whereas if you have the QM-2000, they have tools that enable them to discern if it's a hardware or software problem right away...

Adam

This is odd because I emailed Pangolin awhile back and asked about SDKs for their software and Bill wrote back with a very discouraging response. I don't remember exactly what he said but he lead me to believe that there was nothing publicly available that would be of any use to me.

Hi Gary,

The response would have been something like this:

>>The LD2000 SDK is available free for all registered LD2000 users. But if you aren't an LD2000 user, I doubt that the SDK will do you much good because it has functions and methods that are specific to our QM2000 board.<<

... Something like that.

Anyway, sure you are welcome to add support for QM2000. No problem. Heck, everyone else has! (But wait, I guess that's because they also have a QM2000 board...) Anyway, it's one of the reasons why the QM2000 is so popular. And our SDK works on all versions, whether networked or not. From the SDK standpoint, there is no difference.

My only question is whether or not you would be able to make much use of it without having a QM2000 in your hands. It would be like me having an SDK for a plotter that I don't own, and can't access. It might be possible for me to eventually control the plotter, but only after many iterations and sending files back and forth to friends... But if you've got the time and patience, have at it!

Pangolin was the very first company to offer an SDK (since 1989) and I think you'll find that our SDK offers the most complete (and dare I say, most open?) array of laser functions available in this industry. Companies that do laser shows as well as those who don't (Boeing, DreamWorks, Lawrence Livermore Labs) have found tremendous utility in our SDK.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 09-21-2008 at 19:14.

For a few reasons I will pass on adding support for Pangolin hardware. There really is no reason to support it, anyway. If you want to see a Spaghetti show on Pangolin hardware just export it to ILDA and then load it in the Pangolin software. As a general rule, I think I will limit hardware support to DACs that don't already come with a software package.

And a modified sound card.

James.

as i have said before a pause button and a live time stamp would be great.

also if there was a way to change the default frame that is shown when you open up the scanner settings that would be awesome... i would rather nothing be shown unless you clicked on one of them or maybe a small circle.

it kinda makes me tingle when i have the ilda test pattern being displayed at close to full size and 30000 kpps. and there is no way to not have it do that
    -Josh

is not mamba black compatible for use with qm2000?

Cool

Yes, the Mamba Black software comes with a driver that will allow you to play Mamba Black shows on the QM-2000 controller.

Adam

SPaghetti in my opinion, is a awesome piece of software! Easy to use, and works great. The onl problem I have, is it "crashes" quite frequently. Maybe its just my computer, but its still kinda weird. Would it be possile to add your own "test" patterns, to the Scanner Settings window?

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    SPaghetti in my opinion, is a awesome piece of software! Easy to use, and works great. The onl problem I have, is it "crashes" quite frequently. Maybe its just my computer, but its still kinda weird. Would it be possile to add your own "test" patterns, to the Scanner Settings window?
    agreed mine likes to randomly crash as well. it only happens when i press the stop button.
    -Josh