Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S-KY 150mW 473nm Blue DPSS laser

Default S-KY 150mW 473nm Blue DPSS laser

A lot of people have been waiting for this, here is a review of a 150mW rated S-KY blue dpss laser.

Review in PDF form here

This laser was good in some areas, weaker in others but in the right conditions performed very well. The thing is, those 'right conditions' may not exist inside your common laser projector! Read on for more detail and to see some totally different test methodologies. This is more than your typical 'I got it and wowsa it was bright and keeps working' review.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Bridge, if you see this, I'd love to run the laser that you loaned to Marconi for testing through a few of these tests to see how it compares! Post here if interested!

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

A comprehensive review, mate.

It would be good to see a standard series of tests so that comparing "like for like" would be a lot easier (and your tests look like a good place to start).

hehe, we are interesting, maybe I need asking Marconi, it is very difficult to contact with Marconi as you know.
    would you like asking the guy from S-ky send lasers to a crossbencher for test, just like "Buffo", the most professional and kindly man.
    "Buffo" any interesting? thanks.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Talking

Bridge, if you see this, I'd love to run the laser that you loaned to Marconi for testing through a few of these tests to see how it compares! Post here if interested!
    before compare, please run about 5000hours continue first as the one we send to Marconi, thanks!
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Cool

I'd be willing to do a review - sure. However, I think that Andrew's review is far superior to anthing I could put together. He's got the fast photodiode needed to accurately test the blanking response. (I don't)

In fact, now that the topic is on the table, I'd like to re-visit the whole idea of a "PhotonLexicon approved list of laser specs" like Pitts was talking about a while back. (Scroll down to about post # 60 or so) That thread sort of died out, but I thought the idea was a good one. Dr Lava has the equipment needed to test this...

By the way, Andrew... One small correction: the first two power graphs are labeled as milliwatts, but if you look at the scale, clearly you meant to label it as watts. Might want to change that.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 09-22-2008 at 05:21.

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    hehe, we are interesting, maybe I need asking Marconi, it is very difficult to contact with Marconi as you know.
    would you like asking the guy from S-ky send lasers to a crossbencher for test, just like "Buffo", the most professional and kindly man.
    "Buffo" any interesting? thanks.

before compare, please run about 5000hours continue first as the one we send to Marconi, thanks!
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Hi, yes I know it is very difficult to get in contact with him, but it would be worth it. I am primarily interested to see how the modulation linearity and blanking response is. For the power output, I won't compare due to the different ages of the lasers as you note.

Buffo, thanks, mW->W correction done

Good to see such a quality review; the detailed modulation response is very useful. Thanks DrLava!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    the detailed modulation response is very useful.
    I agree. In fact, I'm thinking that Dr Lava needs to bring his fast photodiode and oscilloscope to the next SELEM so we can test a bunch of lasers!

Seriously though, that's one of the most thorough reviews I've read in a long time. Wish I had the equipment to do that here. (Wonder how much that detector cost him.?. Might be a worthwhile investment, especially since I've already got a 'scope...)

Adam

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
    The high speed detector used in this review was not a photodiode, those are even faster than is necessary. It was a common miniature polysilicon photocell, like what can be found in calculators. I built it into a detector by placing it into a light-tight black ABS box and cutting a small hole in the opposite side of the box and mounting a diffuser there. A 100 ohm resistor across its leads was used as a current metering shunt. Its power measurements were calibrated per wavelength against the thermal meter, and response linearity error was within 5%.

So, anyone could easily build one themselves for under $10.

Damn.... So simple!

Hmmm. I have a calibrated lasercheck... And I'm sure I could get a cheap silicon solar cell... I smell another project in the works!

Thanks for the info Doc! I might get in touch with you later when I attempt this.

Adam