Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another color balance question...

I always go by 1(green)x1.2(blue)x2(red) ratio for 635nm 1x1.2x4 for 650nm
    1x1.2x6 for 660nm and by 8 for 671nm. If you combining for example 300red @ 635 with 800mw @ 650 the result will be 500mw @ 635nm. to balance this out you will need 250 green and 300 blue. And the total power of this projector will be 1W of visible RGB.......No it will not make 1.6W.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ah we are approaching convergence in the numbersand starting to get a correlation. This is good.

And Pitts, the die size or energy density in the low cost 645 diodes is not down to where it is in the 658s, so when you collimate it, things are fat. You are seeing the "donut effect"
    And you are correct.

Yoda say, Paduwon Learner Stuka, you have in questioning well done.

3 hard working research types and one professional geek(me) got headaches and did math for free, thus it was a good question!

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-24-2008 at 17:59.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

"And the total power of this projector will be 1W of visible RGB.......No it will not make 1.6W.[/QUOTE]

Least we have any confusion, lets phrase that correctly shall we?, radiometric power (Ptot) will be 1.6 watts, Total Visual Effective power, (PVeff)=1 watt, the energy does not cancel, the eye just doesnt use the long wavelengths well.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Yoda say, Paduwon Learner Stuka, you have in questioning well done.

3 hard working research types and one professional geek(me) got headaches and did math for free, thus it was a good question!

Steve
    Glad I could be the source for the mental challenge taken on by such a learned audience, oh Master ObiYodaMixedGas.....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    400mW 532nm
    400mW 660nm
    550mW 635nm
    500mW 473nm
    So, now I want, err... No, i'll rephrase that... Now I *NEED* to add some 445nm deep blue to the above. How much do I need and will it throw the colour balance out by a lot?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    another matlab user! I guess we know who the PhD candidate is. seems like our numbers agree relatively well.
    Matlab rocks! It's been almost a year since I last used it, so my skills are pretty rusty I noticed.

I need to figure out how to account for scattering effects though. Is scattering simply I ∝ 1/λ^4?

Quote Originally Posted by Jem
    So, now I want, err... No, i'll rephrase that... Now I *NEED* to add some 445nm deep blue to the above. How much do I need and will it throw the colour balance out by a lot?
    Ok, this is going to sound weird, but I actually get a good color balance using less 445nm than is required with 473nm. Here are the numbers:
    400mW 532nm
    400mW 660nm
    400mW 635nm
    250mW 445nm

Makes you wonder if you're doing something wrong, but according to CIE 1931 this gives a white point of about 5500K. I do believe you get a good white out of this, but the problem is that the blue is going to be much weaker than the other colors. I guess adding a little red and green to the blue will make it more powerful while still keeping it blue.