Thread: Superconductivity - Now that's Cool !!

Default Superconductivity - Now that's Cool !!

Recently found an interesting site with some great video. Take a look at this one about MagLev trains...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a0c_1222057090

Awsome

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Maglev is a neat technology, but pretty damn expensive. What would be even better is a vacuum tunnel with maglev rail across the atlantic ocean. Now there's an engineering challenge.

I have actually made my own high temperature superconductor (YBCO) over which I managed to levitate a magnet. It looks really cool, but it's pretty hard getting the magnet into a stable levitation.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post

I have actually made my own high temperature superconductor (YBCO) over which I managed to levitate a magnet. It looks really cool, but it's pretty hard getting the magnet into a stable levitation.
    What temperature was it operating at if you don't mind me asking?

Have you watched the video on the site? No power required, well, apart from the initial thrust, oh, and some liquid nitrogen... But apart from that - No power required

O.K., here,s another interesting one...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e54_1222089675

And one specially for Tocket to explain as only he knows how

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=327_1222010828

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 09-23-2008 at 04:42.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

You know about huge light sales where spacships are pushed through space using a laser beam. It will take ages to accomplish full speed. But with no friction in space, would'nt magnets be good to get the ships moving.

Has anyone been on that ride at Thorpe park which is powered by magnets. Now imaging that but with no friction.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    What temperature was it operating at if you don't mind me asking?
    It was operated at 77K (bp of nitrogen). The transition temperature was never measured, but the magnet levitated for some time after the nitrogen had evaporated so it was probably close to 90K.

Have you watched the video on the site? No power required, well, apart from the initial thrust, oh, and some liquid nitrogen... But apart from that - No power required
    Yeah, that's a nice toy. It can keep going for quite some time because drag isn't that big at such low velocities. When you scale it up however... That's where the vacuum tunnel comes into play.

With no friction or drag whatsoever, how fast can you go? Faster than a passenger jet? Certainly. Faster than a spy plane? No problem. Rocket? Possibly!

O.K., here,s another interesting one...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e54_1222089675

And one specially for Tocket to explain as only he knows how

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=327_1222010828
    Looks like you've found a lot of interesting videos there.

I actually didn't know that decomposing mercuric thiocyanate would have that effect. Pretty nasty stuff though considering how much mercury vapor must be in the smoke from that. I have made something that has a similar effect myself. That probably wasn't too healthy either as the smoke smelled rather strongly of hydrogen cyanide.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post

I actually didn't know that decomposing mercuric thiocyanate would have that effect.
    Really, and there I thought you were our chemistry guru

Just kidding , that reaction reminds me of those indoor fireworks I used to have when I was a kid. They're probably all banned now due to combinations of nasty chemicals

I for one really appreciate your vast knowledge and find your answers really interesting. I can't wait for the day when they get superconductivity at reasonably normal temperatures.

Cheers

Jem