Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on my 1.5w rgb projector

Joking aside I still like fat beams. I think fat beams look better when they are comming at you than thin beams.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    ...As for the power, I am begining to think it may be a language barrier...
    The more I see of LaserWorld products the more I'm convinced of this.
    They need to clearly state in their adverts "Wir werden Sie abreißen."
    And translate it into English so that potential buyers are fully aware.
    Last edited by soforene; 09-25-2008 at 01:22. Reason: Yow ain't seen nuffin, roight !

My 2cent worth
    I would expect that if you buy a projector stated as a 1.5W device that it would actually put out more than 1.5W initially then over time as the laser age (and power diminishes) that the average long term power output would average around 1.5W
    " We black out the manufacturers stickers, because they state the minimum power for that product line of lasers. For example lasers from 250 to 1000 mW may be in the same housing, then the manufacturer simply puts a ">250 mW" on it even if we meassure it as 550 mW. Because we had a lot of complaints from people who didn't understand that the stated power was the minimum power for that series and had nothing to do with the actual power we decided to make that minimum power specification unreadable.
    The projectors are meassured here before shipping to ensure that the power specifications are met."
    This sounds like they maybe matching the peak powers to the labelling of the projectors. This way there using cheaper lasers.
    Specifically from the last line as they state they measure to ensure the power specification is met, does that mean that as long as the measure power at the scanners reach 1.5W that’s acceptable? I would be hoping that the output power when new should be 10-15% higher as it is normal for DPSS lasers to drop in power.

Also, as allthatwhichis stated it could be a law thing but why wouldn’t you state that rated total output power is on measured output
    BTW, I don’t think they are Laserwave modules, Blue for that output power would have a fan on top as well and the front is also different (see photo 2) compared to mine. The power supply may give a better idea of the brand.

For the ILDA test pattern ,I'd say you need to adjust the HF and LD on the X scanner

Troy
    Last edited by loopee; 09-25-2008 at 01:12.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    The more I see of Laserwave products the more I'm convinced of this.
    They need to clearly state in their adverts "Wir werden Sie abreißen."
    And translate it into English so that potential buyers are fully aware.
    Did you mean to say Laserwave or LaserWorld?

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

errrrrr.. that's what I said.....

Lordy Lordy they're a pedantic bunch today......

Laserworlds explination to EXPO86
    Laserworld's explanation of why they obliterate the labels is and this is a direct quote in a recent email
    " We black out the manufacturers stickers, because they state the minimum power for that product line of lasers. For example lasers from 250 to 1000 mW may be in the same housing, then the manufacturer simply puts a ">250 mW" on it even if we meassure it as 550 mW. Because we had a lot of complaints from people who didn't understand that the stated power was the minimum power for that series and had nothing to do with the actual power we decided to make that minimum power specification unreadable.
    The projectors are meassured here before shipping to ensure that the power specifications are met."

And here is the explanation of the red diodes;

"Yes, the 635nm red lasers have a wider beam than the green and blue ones. This is usually not a problem with beam/atmospheric shows, but can be visible when doing graphics. We are now changing to 650 nm red diodes that have a smaller beam, but are unfortunatelly darker (to the human eye), than the ones we currently use. So these need more power (and money for that) to give the same visibility. For example our new 3000 mW RGB projectors have the same brightness (and the same blue and green diodes) as your 1500 mW, the difference is in red wich has to be more powerfull to be as bright and give a reasonable white balance.
    Now .... of all the Lasers i have seen in my lifetime ..... i have seen very few ( maybe less than 1% ) that are putting out more than the Manufacturers rateing sticker ..... the manufacturers normaly show Maximum output ... not minimum output .... for instance i have a 100Mw green ( sold new to me as 100mw green ) with a output sticker of <250mW .... and i have another head doing 400mW sold as a 300mw with a <500mw sticker ....

personaly ... i could be wrong with this ... and i certainly hope i am ... but until you reomove the head put a 5v onto the blanking and measure the output .... i have my doubts .... it smells of coherent BS

and the red explination ... Cover your faces everyone the Bullshitometer is about to explode .....

They said that thier new 3000mw RGB will have the same power blue and green as the 1500mw but the red will be more powerfull

so the green and blue are currently rated by LWorld as 700mW total
    so that means they will be fitting a 2.3 Watt red in there.... WW

cant wait to see that ...

so far my experiences with laserworld have been really good and what i have seen in build quality has been ok to good ..... but i dont like the fact that they are being way overrated in power .... i guess that they know that most people dont have a way of measuring and it seems LWorld already have a list of excuses they can use

they seem a decent company .... so no need for the bullshit

all the best ... Karl

Cover your faces everyone the Bullshitometer is about to explode .....
    HAHAHAh I love that

Smile Thank you for the advice and comments.

You guys have given me some great advice and things to ponder over the next few days. I knew that if you wanted to run high pps it cuts down on the scan angle, but i did not know about scan angles and how they relate to using the ILDA test pattern. I only had the projector 19 feet away from the wall and i think i was projecting about a 4 foot square image, so i am sure the test images may not be as bad as they seem.

I should be aquiring a laser power meter in the next few days so i will be holding my breath for a while yet. At least i still have almost a full years warranty on it so you can bet it will be going back to Germany if its under specs. Any suggestions on how to measure the power? Should i use the software to turn each laser on to max and measure at the output before the optics? or do i do as Karl (Banthai) suggests "personaly ... i could be wrong with this ... and i certainly hope i am ... but until you reomove the head put a 5v onto the blanking and measure the output .... i have my doubts .... it smells of coherent BS " Where do i get a 5 volt power from.........on the diode driver?

I thought i did my research on suppliers and i waited over 20 years to get my first projector. Laserworld has a 2 year warranty and those other guys were just 6 months, but what good is a warranty when it will probably cost $350 to ship it back each way? I looked at a few software options and the Pangolin stuff just seemed way out there and the "Laserworld Showeditor and dac" seemed like a good middle of the road solution. In hindsight i would have saved a few years off my life if i had gone with the pangolin product.

Most likely going to take the Pangolin leap in the very near future!

Thank you again guys/girls,
    Peter