Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on my 1.5w rgb projector

Default Need advice on my 1.5w rgb projector

I hope this is the correct area to ask questions as i'm new to posting.

I purchased a "Laserworld" Pro 1500mw RGB projector just over a year ago together with their "Showeditor" software and usb dac. I had numerous problems getting the software to function with windows vista initially and the fact that there was no English user manual has led to a very frustrating time. Now the software seems very stable to the point where i have been able to actually test the projector and to the realization that there "may" be some problems with it.
    1) Are the beams aligned perfectly?
    2) Are the scanners adjusted correctly?
    2) Why does it seem like a lot of my red 635nm beam is being directed upwards? And if so is this not wasting a lot of the power?

I have included some pictures any any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red beam too wide for scanner mirrors 2.jpg  

Red beam too large for scanner mirrors.jpg  

Red beam too wide blue green not lined up.jpg  

This is supposed to be a white beam.jpg  

laser pics 2 023.jpg  

"1) Are the beams aligned perfectly?"

Looks pretty good to me considering the differences in beam diameter.

"2) Are the scanners adjusted correctly?"

Can't tell unless you post a test pattern.

"2) Why does it seem like a lot of my red 635nm beam is being directed upwards? And if so is this not wasting a lot of the power?"

The output beam diameter of your red is huge thus, some of the beam is too large for the galvo mirrors. Nothing you can do about it except changing your red out for a better laser module. Yes, you are loosing some power.

Hi.

Unforunatelly I am not expert in building lasers so my answers come
    from what I have seen so far and how my projector (KVANT) works,but..

..oh man, there is a whole lot of red coming upwards and it seems to me as it is lot more than necessary.
    ..beam aligment definitelly needs little tweak as well, but that is quite simple to do and necessary to do from time to time, sometimes after a transport or so.

Yeah, you are loosing red, since the beam diameter of that thing is HUGE! Nothing you can do about it, except swap out the red laser, or buy some galvos with bigger mirrors.

Hi Expo86

Great photos

Judging by the last photo I would say the Blue and Green are slightly out of alignment, although the green does appear fatter then the blue. If both beams are aligned and are of the same diameter the colour produced will be cyan with no green or blue “over hang”
    You may be able to centre the blue and green beams better to make it appear to have less green over hang (but it’s still there)

BTW, the Blue seems very fine in comparison to the green, I’d say 2mm blue to 2.5/3mm green , this could be a camera thing.

Unfortunately for the Red there’s nothing you can do apart from replacing it with a module with better beam specs (if you can find one at reasonable prices) or replace the mirrors like other have already stated.

Out of interest, what make are the laser modules? Just so we all know not to buy that brand.

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Whats Fat, Red and hit's the ceiling......?

Expo86's laserWorld 635

That is UUUUge.

You should put another set of scanners above there or a defraction grating :-)

Hey Expo,

I've also got some laser modules from laserworld. And it looks like your red module is about the same as mine. The beam diameter is 6mm, while a lot of laser modules use 1,5 - 3 mm beams.

And now the why.... because your red module is a DIODE laser and not a DPSS. It also produces a square beam instead of a round beam. Red lasers on a higher power are easier (and cheaper) to produce with just a diode. (correct me if i'm wrong) So I think that's why it's in your laser.

2 Years back I asked this to laserworld and they explained that about 90% of the power is concentrated in the middle of the square.

ewwwwwwwwwwww that's ugly red fat beam... No good get your self a new red laser....

Default A little more info

Hi Expo86

Great photos

Judging by the last photo I would say the Blue and Green are slightly out of alignment, although the green does appear fatter then the blue. If both beams are aligned and are of the same diameter the colour produced will be cyan with no green or blue “over hang”
    You may be able to centre the blue and green beams better to make it appear to have less green over hang (but it’s still there)

BTW, the Blue seems very fine in comparison to the green, I’d say 2mm blue to 2.5/3mm green , this could be a camera thing.

Unfortunately for the Red there’s nothing you can do apart from replacing it with a module with better beam specs (if you can find one at reasonable prices) or replace the mirrors like other have already stated.

Out of interest, what make are the laser modules? Just so we all know not to buy that brand.

Troy

I have included a few extra pics and a close up of the laser modules. Not sure if those are "Laserworld" model numbers or the manufacturers. My manual states all are class 3b.

11. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Power supply:
    AC 220V-240V, 50/60 Hz
    DMX 512:

16 channels
    Condition temperature:

-10°C ~ +35°C
    Input signal bandwidth:

0~1000Hz
    X/Y axes beam scanning optical angle:

0 ~ ±30°
    Signal input power:

-5V~+5V
    Power consumption:

120W
    Working mode:

ILDA, DMX512
    Optical power:

guaranteed: 1250mW; typical: 1500mW RGB (white)
    350mW/473nm blue; 350mW/532nm green; 650mW/635nm red
    Laser classification:

Weight:

20 kg
    Dimensions: 670 x 380 x 270 mm (L x W x H)

I don't know what you guys think about this but would be happy to hear your comments. If a projector is listed as a 1500mw rgb should it not put out 1500mw at the scanners? They guarantee 1250mw but as i have no way of testing it i have to take their word for now(am working on finding a power meter before my warranty expires).

Laserworld's explanation of why they obliterate the labels is and this is a direct quote in a recent email
    " We black out the manufacturers stickers, because they state the minimum power for that product line of lasers. For example lasers from 250 to 1000 mW may be in the same housing, then the manufacturer simply puts a ">250 mW" on it even if we meassure it as 550 mW. Because we had a lot of complaints from people who didn't understand that the stated power was the minimum power for that series and had nothing to do with the actual power we decided to make that minimum power specification unreadable.
    The projectors are meassured here before shipping to ensure that the power specifications are met."

And here is the explanation of the red diodes;

"Yes, the 635nm red lasers have a wider beam than the green and blue ones. This is usually not a problem with beam/atmospheric shows, but can be visible when doing graphics. We are now changing to 650 nm red diodes that have a smaller beam, but are unfortunatelly darker (to the human eye), than the ones we currently use. So these need more power (and money for that) to give the same visibility. For example our new 3000 mW RGB projectors have the same brightness (and the same blue and green diodes) as your 1500 mW, the difference is in red wich has to be more powerfull to be as bright and give a reasonable white balance.

A lens or colimator would not change the basic problem of the different beam characteristic compared to gren and blue."

I have included a few extra pics but i'm not too concerned about the scanner tuning at this point.I asked "Laserworld" what the cost would be, if any, to swap out the 635nm diode for a 650nm as i only have about 4 to 5 hours on the projector but they have ignored my comment so far. If i have been misled as to power and quality then you can guarantee feathers will fly.

Thank's for your ears,

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails various 073.JPG  

laser pics 2 020.JPG  

Test2 22,000pps blue circle not round.jpg  

Test4 letters not formed.jpg  

Test 5 top of triangle not joined.jpg  

Lightbulb

Your red looks about normal for 635nm, also most other high power reds except Maxyzmodules. I have a 250mW 635 and it is wider than my mirrors and shots off the same way. I have my scanners set up in the opposite dirrection so all my over shoot goes down. I can appriceate this more now because of your picture. Mine goes 1/2 inch into the scanner block, not however far it is to the ceiling or top of the projector. I would say you could try to tighten up the blue and green alignment a little.

Need to tuen the scanners some What are they rated at? Also, what is the scan speed and "scan angle"?

As for the power, I am begining to think it may be a language barrier, or small slight on their part, or maybe even what they think of as a rule to say 1.5W RGB, 1.25W typical. They ar selling a complete projector and there maybe a law that say they have to say the absolute max power and sell it that way and they are saying the typical power also. It is not an OEM part that probably does have as strict rules. The CNI you are buying from CNI is rated at 200mW but to be safe and so they can warranty 200mW, it will probably be making 250... I am being devil's advocate here, but I am pretty sure there is a difference like that between selling OEM parts and full projectors.

That blue looks like a Laser Wave...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin