Thread: Something strange that I never got a answer to?

Default Something strange that I never got a answer to?

I posted this on LPF a LONG time ago, and never really got a definitive answer. Basically, back when I had my RGY stepper scanner, I removed the front cover panel, and noticed a VERY weak orange output coming from the other side of the dichro. I thought "Hmm this green must have a high, minimum blanking level or something" So I completely unplugged the green module, and it was STILL there! It was a very weak output, like >.1mw. I tried to take a pic, and it is deffiantely not red. The red is passing through the dichro, which DOES have a slight orange tint, but as far as I know, you cant colour light like that, and still have it somewhat collimated. Any idea's what it could possibly be? I have a pic, but its total crap, as I said its VERY dull. I heard a suggestion that it could be the reflection from the laser can, but by now i'd think that would be washed out.

Cheers

swamp gas.. diffenitly swamp gas...
    move along sir there is nothing to see here,
    just your normal run of the mill swamp gas.

LOL!!!!

The gas seems to have travelled quite a distance though :

You're talking about red coming from the green module right? If that's the case, the 808nm diode does produce a tiny bit of visible light in the form of red. My guess is that the laser diode is still on at idle but is way below the lasing threshold of the KTP crystal.
    Adam

Nope, it orange coming from the red DIODE module once it has passed through the dichro (The little bit of loss you get from reflecting red)