Thread: soundcard question

Question soundcard question

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask if i have a suitable soundcard for correction amp...it looks a bit different from what i've seen in most of your pics so i dont know which channel is what and have no clue how to find out...

Yep that should work, just solder your wires as shown below in the red circles

yeah, i soldered them in place already, but how do i know which channel is what?... i dont think its the same as in the card most of you guys are using, the layout of the card looks different...

I had a hard time finding out channels too, but basically you can just hook it up and see if it works. If not, you must have your X and Y on the wrong channels. But I think the 2 on the right side would be the X/Y channels

Talking

You can use LaserBoy to make a set of waves to figure out what it what.

If you make a wave of the single frame white circle, you will have a sine wave in the X a cosine in the Y and a pretty steady positive voltage in all of the other 4 channels (colors).

Now if you make a wave of the circle for each color, you can find which tracks are R, G, B, and I.

With the white circle in view, from the main menu, go to menu 'k'. Then tap the '\' key and the '|' key (backslash, shift backslash). Now you have selected every vertex in the circle. Notice that the palette now has a cursor and a selected color. It is most likely already set to index zero, red (255, 0, 0). Hit the 'c' key to color the selected vertices. [Esc] out of menu 'k' and save this as your red circle.

Go back into 'k' and the circle should still be completely selected. use the 'p' or 'P' key to change the selected palette color and find pure green (0, 255, 0). Tap 'c' to color the circle green. Save it as your green circle and come back and make a blue one (0, 0, 255).

Now when you play these waves, the colors red, green and blue will be the voltages that move. The last channel, the TTL will always be there, no matter what color the circle is.

You can be pretty sure that X and Y will be the default stereo pair leading to the light green jack.

James.

LaserBoy has no way to send anything to your sound card (yet). You have to do that by playing the wave in Media Player or something...

By the way, the sound card and correction amp combination will most likely give you an inverted signal.

You can fix this in LaserBoy in menu 'b', option '7'.

You can also set LaserBoy to save waves as inverted information in menu 'u' turn option 'd' on. Got to menu 'o' from the main menu and choose option 'i' to save your preferred LaserBoy settings.

James.

You can use the Laseroids program and the EzAudDac driver to send signals to your sound card, then adjust all the sliders down but one and see which channel it is, one at a time. That's the basic way of doing it.