Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Delay Relay Module

Looks like you're on the right track!

For a multi-laser projector (especially one where you need to mix various power supplies because of the different types of lasers used, which is probably pretty common):

On the output side of the timer board, instead of directly closing the laser power supply leads, trigger another multi-pole relay. Use the muti-pole relay to close the power leads for the individual laser power supplies.

Word of advice -

Use SOCKETS for the relays, and keep spare relays on hand!

Now the fun part-

Adding the interlock to control the timer board trigger!!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

For UK users, RS do a lot of different time-delay relays, like this :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0349787

and this :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=6098429

(if you search their website, there are hundreds to choose from!)

Here they are....I have a few of them as you can see.....I may have saved enough socket units to handle 12 or so units. Some are 30 - 600 second delay............... some ar 8 - 180 second delay. All have the cannon plug type pins and a pinout on the side.
    Supply voltage is 120VAC 2 watts
    Contact rating 5 amps 300 VAC max
    Most of the units have a relay contact closed LED.

They are 20 each as is......with a fiver going to Janitrial srvcs. I will ship them USPS mail.......and sockets as long as they hold out. If you get a non working unit...I will replace it for you....just ship the bogus unit back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PANA0005.JPG  

PANA0006.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Talk about resurrecting an old thread...

I'm going to order one of the ELK960's as a time delay board but, my question relates to the manual reset switch. Is it possible to place a normally open push button switch in-line with the trigger lead so that if power is lost, the timer does not start until you push the "reset" button to provide a signal to the trigger?

Perhaps there is another method for a manual reset switch that I am overlooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Synce View Post
    Talk about resurrecting an old thread...

I'm going to order one of the ELK960's as a time delay board but, my question relates to the manual reset switch. Is it possible to place a normally open push button switch in-line with the trigger lead so that if power is lost, the timer does not start until you push the "reset" button to provide a signal to the trigger?

Perhaps there is another method for a manual reset switch that I am overlooking?
    Yeah ya' did!!

Basically, if you're going to use a time delay board (with solid-state lasers, there's different views on whether it's really neeeded any more or not), think of the time delay board as the "end device" -

In other words, while your key switch controls acts as the master power switch for the entire projector, your interlock / reset circuits feed the INPUT to the time delay relay board. The OUTPUT (normally open terminals) from the time delay board then feeds your shutter circuit, and/or the laser power supplies.

If you plan on switching the laser power supplies, you'll need to use an additional multi-pole fairly heavy-duty relay to switch the laser loads. The coil of that relay would be powered via your time delay board outputs.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    ...with solid-state lasers, there's different views on whether it's really neeeded any more or not...
    I guess that's something I've got to decide. Grr... Is it still "required" as a safety feature?

And yes, I will be switching from the bohemoth OEM psu's. I'll be using XP Powers, one 5vdc/~20amp for all the laser drivers and gm-20 and two 24vdc psu's for the scanner amps.
    Last edited by Synce; 03-12-2010 at 11:37. Reason: Cause I wanted to!

I understand the "Grrr...." - been there, doing that, thinking about simplifying!!

Here's a thread concerning interlocks, time delays, etc.:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...477#post137477

I think I'll wind up including the shutter in an interlock circuit, but foregoing the time delay board for the lasers.

Concerning power supplies -

One 24-volt (bipolar) supply should be all you need;
    Did you get one with the scanners?

Relaying what someone in the 'biz told me about the laser power supplies
    (as it applies to RGB projectors) -

A single supply is nice, provided all the lasers can use a compatible supply.
    However, if that one supply goes down, you lose ALL the lasers.

If you run the separate OEM supplies that come with the lasers, you could lose a laser PS and still have 2 more lasers working for those "show must go on" moments.

Just a little something to think about - as if you really needed any other options to decide...
    Last edited by Stuka; 03-12-2010 at 11:48.
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I understand the "Grrr...." - been there, doing that, thinking about simplifying!!

Here's a thread concerning interlocks, time delays, etc.:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...477#post137477

I think I'll wind up including the shutter in an interlock circuit, but foregoing the time delay board for the lasers.

Concerning power supplies -

One 24-volt (bipolar) supply should be all you need;
    Did you get one with the scanners?

Relaying what someone in the 'biz told me about the laser power supplies
    (as it applies to RGB projectors) -

A single supply is nice, provided all the lasers can use a compatible supply.
    However, if that one supply goes down, you lose ALL the lasers.

If you run the separate OEM supplies that come with the lasers, you could lose a laser PS and still have 2 more lasers working for those "show must go on" moments.

Just a little something to think about - as if you really needed any other options to decide...
    Now you're just being difficult. Ha, just kidding. That is a good point regarding the multiple PSU's. I'll be using all LaserWaves so they should all be 5v. I guess I'll just take my chances on this one. I suppose my main goal for this one is to keep it reasonably sized.

I did receive a PSU with the scanners. It's just HUGE. I had an option to grab two smaller 24v psu's for a good deal so I took it. Two of them together are even smaller than the OEM. If I don't use them for this projector, I'll find something to zap with them.

I use a simple adjustable on-delay relay from grainger(small 2inx2in), they cost under $40 and is a single wire in and out. I wire from the line in> to the key> to the button>to the relay> to the on delay> to the laser power supply's.

Hey Randy take a look at the attached picture
    Its an ilda interface board powered from 24v off the scanner psu - or other, it has a fan output, laser emission LED output, a relay to switch you lasers PSU mains on and off (can use the contacts in a different way if you choose) shutter output (with its signal derived from a composite of the relay output and the ilda shutter output). It also has connections for X Y R G B DKB plus keyswitch header for ilda signal, & remote interlock. The remote interlock has an e-stop, and optional Bi-colour laser status LED plus optional laser start button. The circuit becomes active only when key, ilda interlock and e-stop are all good, this turns remote LED to green to show laser is ready but not on. When the start button is pressed the LED flashes between Red and Green and after a 8(ish) second delay powers the relay. The delay can be set on board with a jumper to 30 seconds.
    This board is out of my shoebox laser and shortly will be available in a 'general purpose' version which I will be selling on my webby.
    If anyone has any questions use the contact us button off the website as I may not be round here to see a PM.
    Hopefully in the next few weeks normal service for me will be resumed and I will be back on PL as an active member
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5074..JPG  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk