Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Delay Relay Module

Default Time Delay Relay Module

For those of you who might be considering adding a time delay feature for the laser power supplies in your projectors, and may not have the time / parts / interest in constructing a circuit from scratch (not THAT hard, just inconvenient if you have to chase after parts), I found a pre-made, reasonably-priced module that will probably work for you. I picked up one of these at the local electronics parts supplier for $20 US:

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-960.htm

The web page lists all the specs and photos, so I wont go into great detail here. Suffice it to say this thing is perfect fo setting up an adjustable power-on delay for just about anything you would need in the typical RGB projector, with 7 to 10 AMP contact ratings on the built-in SPDT relay. Lots of programming options, with user-adjustable delays times of anywhere from 1 second to 1 hour. The delay can be initiated either from the application of power to the board, or from an external trigger signal. Very compact (3" x 2.2" x 1"), and at just $20, probably doesn't cost a whole lot more than the components needed to build a similar board from scratch.

For those that are interested, if you can't find the Elk board in your area, there are similar products available online through a company called "Hometech Solutions":

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/automation/timers/standalone/index.html

I believe the Altronix 6030 module is basically the same as the Elk-960 module I purchased.

Note that these are both essentially designed as components for home security systems, so if there's a company in your area that deals with home security products, that might be a source for you.

That is all....
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-26-2008 at 07:22. Reason: Additional info...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi Stuka,

Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I was speaking about in my previous posts. I have never seen one packaged like this. I have seen ones that look exactly like a normal relay (basically, square plastic box) and having a dial on the top to adjust the delay time.

Anyway, glad you found one and glad to see that there is a pointer to other people so they can find it.

Bill

thanks randy!

this is going to come in handy. gonna order some myself.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

How much are these?

Would any of you guys in the states consider buying one of these and shipping it over to the UK for me? I'll cover all the costs of course

Possibly Adam (Buffo), any chance of packing one of these with the custom dichro?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem;

I'll see if I can find a supplier in my area. Barring that, I'll order one and have it shipped to me, then I'll include it in your dicrho package. We can square up via Paypal if you like.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Stuka,

Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I was speaking about in my previous posts. I have never seen one packaged like this. I have seen ones that look exactly like a normal relay (basically, square plastic box) and having a dial on the top to adjust the delay time.

Anyway, glad you found one and glad to see that there is a pointer to other people so they can find it.

Bill
    Yes, this was a GREAT find! These boards cost a fraction of the price of the "conventional" time-delay relays I've been able to find (the ones like you described), and with the small size and design, they could even be retrofitted to existing projectors without a whole lot of additional work.

And a BIG plus with me - I don't mind soldering together some circuits when needed, but I'm all for using a proven design, especially when there's not much cost difference from scratch building!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Default Not to pull a thread from the dead but...

Good find, I have been searching all over PL and reviewing Bill's wiring article http://www.laserist.org/laserist2008...onnections.htm. Just what the doctor ordered, now if I could find a good shutter driver reference (yes I know it is simple but, I am slow this week and will keep on searching).

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    now if I could find a good shutter driver reference
    Are you using a GM-20 as a shutter? If so, then have a look at this thread. There are several driver circuits posted that will run the GM-20. (You can't connect it directly to the shutter pins on your controller, because the controller can't source enough current to operate the GM-20, so you need to use a transistor to boost the current..)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Are you using a GM-20 as a shutter? If so, then have a look at this thread. There are several driver circuits posted that will run the GM-20. (You can't connect it directly to the shutter pins on your controller, because the controller can't source enough current to operate the GM-20, so you need to use a transistor to boost the current..)
    I think I got straightened out... http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadge...ys/relays.html and http://www.pangolin.com/ubb/showflat...2283&Main=2205 helped. I am using a one similar to the ledex rotary solenoid (http://w2s.ledex.com/ledx/ds/lx000/l...sso?pcode=L229).

I have been taking in so much information I swear I am forgetting basics! I think the delay board should be groovy, I just forgot I was driving a solenoid (never done it, so better to use extra caution). Thank you for the Help Adam! I keep forgetting I have a nice 8 solenoid TTL driven driver board from the surplus yard, but that is for a beam table in the future.

After all that to get back on subject after looking at the schematics, $20 is a steal for the delay circuit.

-Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shutter1.jpg  

shutter2.jpg  

Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    How much are these?

Would any of you guys in the states consider buying one of these and shipping it over to the UK for me? I'll cover all the costs of course

Possibly Adam (Buffo), any chance of packing one of these with the custom dichro?

Cheers

Jem

Maplin has these

Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.