Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another article about laser pointers and aircraft

Default Another article about laser pointers and aircraft

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7641453.stm

I'd be surprised if hand-held laser pointers aren't banned outright in the near future.

ohh great! effing idiots need to get a beam in their eye and realize this isnt a toy
    -Josh

Just put 300 mW on their skin for a few seconds. They would heal from that.

I think there should be a leagal association of size and weight to power.

Only <5mW should be light and small enough to put in your pocket!

James.

I wonder how expensive an automated laser radiation detector would cost per-plane. I can imagine a device that uses GPS navigation data and some sort of camera or other sensor to pinpoint the radiation and then relay coordinates to law-enforcement. I doubt it would be too terribly high-tech to implement.

Also, laser shows wouldn't have anything to worry about as long as they were coordinating with the FAA as they're supposed to.

-Jonathan

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    I wonder how expensive an automated laser radiation detector would cost per-plane. I can imagine a device that uses GPS navigation data and some sort of camera or other sensor to pinpoint the radiation and then relay coordinates to law-enforcement. I doubt it would be too terribly high-tech to implement.

Also, laser shows wouldn't have anything to worry about as long as they were coordinating with the FAA as they're supposed to.

-Jonathan

if you can get the FAA to return your calls.

cost for a fAA approved directional detector was quoted at 8000 US.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    if you can get the FAA to return your calls. . .
    There is that.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    . . .cost for a fAA approved directional detector was quoted at 8000 US.

That doesn't seem so bad considering the cost of the plane itself.. Any idea how much it costs to implement and use? On the other hand, I doubt any airlines really like the idea of *and* additional costs these days.

-Jonathan

As with all media bashing the problem is getting worse because they are reporting more of it. I am pretty sure it has always happened now and then but because its being reported more and more on the news because its something for the media to rant about it seams as though its getting worse.

I completely disagree with that video as well, being a laser and aviation fan I know it would be impossible to aim a laser at the cockpit which has windows almost the same size as a car windscreen when its traveling at at least 150mph. To add to that the only way you would actually be able to point a laser directly into the cockpit is if the aircraft was extremely low or the person pointing is extremely high considering the position of the cockpit.

Edit: Just thinking, large airports like Heathrow don't require a pilot to land the aircraft. The pilots could set up the controls as they are supposed to and jump out miles before the airport and it would still land and come to a stop on the runway.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I completely disagree with that video as well, being a laser and aviation fan I know it would be impossible to aim a laser at the cockpit which has windows almost the same size as a car windscreen when its traveling at at least 150mph. To add to that the only way you would actually be able to point a laser directly into the cockpit is if the aircraft was extremely low or the person pointing is extremely high considering the position of the cockpit.

end quote

Thats what we all used to think.

yeah, but they can flash over a window repeatedly, and think about standing near the threshold. Worse yet think using scanners and a co-linear .... Opps never mind.
    I wish G10 would release its reports to the public. There have been many valid laser illuminations on short final on heavies.

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-de..._suspects.html

http://swiftreport.blogs.com/news/20...ft_laser_.html

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/m...dia/200623.pdf

read up on googling "los Vegas and Laser illumination"

I live near the #2 laser illumination place in the US. They caught the last idiot.

As for the detector maker: They just joined ILDA:

www.optra.com

Steve

I reckon that the Optra unit wouldn't take much tweaking to be of use in the laser entertainment industry as an MPE meter. Perhaps they think that too and that's why they've joined the ILDA

Quote from their website states...

With a large field of view, the LER measures laser wavelength, radiant exposure level, pulse duration and repetition rate; it can also discriminate between natural and artificial light sources.

When the LER detects laser radiation, a visual indication of whether the exposure is eye safe or hazardous (as defined by ANSI Z136.1 2001) is provided
    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hey Kats -

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I reckon that the Optra unit wouldn't take much tweaking to be of use in the laser entertainment industry as an MPE meter. Perhaps they think that too and that's why they've joined the ILDA
    ...just-got a brochure on this little-thing today in the actual-mail.. Wow, very-interesting...

While I first thought, 'Oh boy...I can see more potential-State / CDRH inspections / 'Laser Cops' on the horizon, now...' really, I think we, as show-producers, could definitely-benefit from an 'MPE-version', having an (apparently) easier / quicker method of 'measuring / checking' MPE-levels, than the 'traditional' method (apertured-meter, etc, etc...)

I'm not suggesting this be some sort-of 'side-skirt' for clearly-best- (and only Variance-approvable) methods for safe audience-scanning, like 'PASS', etc. but, perhaps, at-least a 'better' quick-method of checking to see how 'safe' planned-levels might-be... certainly, using one of these has GOT to be a 'better' method of 'judging safe levels' than I see many, many 'laserists' using, that-of 'viewing the fx with their EYES, and if it makes them 'wince', they 'turn it down' ...relying-on Eyeballs as-a 'Power-Meter'?? - no, thanks!!!

Also, if, say you did a set-up, with some 'quick audience sweeps', etc, and you measured / recorded the levels with an 'MPE-version' of this thing, prior to your show, you'd have it 'on-record' that the 'levels WERE safe' (at-least according to the standards) so if someone claimed 'they got eye-damage at your show', you'd have something more 'concrete' than your 'testimony' that you WERE-at safe-levels... (sort-of like an 'accepted' type-of 'breathalyzer for lasers'...

But I DO wonder about the 'response-time' of this unit - COULD-it 'detect / activate' the 'capture-trigger'-circuit fast-enough, with scanned-fx', or only 'static-fx' / beams... Cause shows certainly DO have more to 'check-on / 'account-for' than just beams...

I also see this (if it ends-up getting implemented by the FAA, which seems-like this Co. is 'pitching-itself-to', with the 'OEM-integratable'
    -version...)
    putting a more 'accurate-accounting' to all the 'rediculous' types of reports: 'pilots blinded by laser-pointer from 20,000'.. With something like-this, a 'spade would be able to be called a spade' - if it WAS an 'over-MPE-levels' strike, well, there you go... But if not, well, there you go.... But, yes - really, any cockpit-illumination - 'over-levels' or-not, is still a bigtime ...

I'd certainly be most-interested to see one of these brought-to the 'giant dance-events' of 'Euro and Nether-fame', and allow it to-be scanned, right-along-with the audience, with all those 10W 532s, etc, and see what it 'says' about the 'MPE-levels' (again, vs the data-programed-within)... I dunno, but just-upon seeing MOST of those vid-clips, of the 'style' of shows over-there, the first word that comes to my mind (as-to how this thing would 'react') is 'TILT'...

'...We shall follow this one with great interest...'

ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...