Thread: Earth Quakes in NZ Islands

Default Earth Quakes in NZ Islands

Hey Pitts,

Are you ok? I heard something about large earth quakes around NZ islands.

Mark

HI,

Thanks for asking..

Yep we're all fine down here. The earthquake was a 7.3 near the Kermadec islands so was quite a distance off shore.

We are well used to the rock and roll of earthquakes down here, we live on a fault line (Pacific plate) although a 7.3 would have been big if it had hit the mainland.

Many years ago I was in a 7.3 that killed a number of people I beleive one of those per lifetime is enough, I think my heart beat was hitting 7.3 as an aftershock... never let anyone tell you a big shake is an easy thing.

Anyway once again appreciate the thought..

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Thumbs up

Good to hear all is well in your area Ray! I have never felt the earth move; not sure how I would react.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Believe it or not, there is a fault line that runs through Charleston, SC. And about 16 years ago, we had a relatively small quake (something like 4.5 on the Richter scale). I was upstairs in my apartment at the time, laying on the waterbed. The whole building shook just once - like a quick left-right shudder and then nothing. My first thought was that someone had driven their car into the side of the apartment building.

I ran downstairs and out the front door to see what happened, and found... nothing. Everything was perfectly intact, and there was no sign of an errant driver or a large vehicle that could have struck the building.

Then I saw other people come rushing out of their apartments - one by one. They all had the same weird look on their faces, and were no doubt looking around for the same non-existent car that they assumed had just hit their building.

That's when it dawned on me that it must have been an earthquake. Sure enough, later that day they talked about it on the news. No damage, but a little shake that unnerved a lot of people that day.

Still, a 4.5 magnitude quake is nothing. A 7.3 magnitude quake on the other hand... Well, that's *really* something to fear! (Fortunately I've never had to experience one like that!)

Glad to hear you're safe, Ray...

Adam

Pleasure to hear your place is ok, my friends.
    earthquake is really terrible, I don't want to mention it, only wish no earthquake allover the world.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    HI,

Thanks for asking..

Yep we're all fine down here. The earthquake was a 7.3 near the Kermadec islands so was quite a distance off shore.

We are well used to the rock and roll of earthquakes down here, we live on a fault line (Pacific plate) although a 7.3 would have been big if it had hit the mainland.

Many years ago I was in a 7.3 that killed a number of people I beleive one of those per lifetime is enough, I think my heart beat was hitting 7.3 as an aftershock... never let anyone tell you a big shake is an easy thing.

Anyway once again appreciate the thought..

Cheers

Ray
    NZ
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Ray..... good to hear you and everyone in NZ are ok

best wishes buddy

Karl

Whoa... Scary stuff

Hope everyone's o.k. down there and there's no damage or anyone hurt.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

i was in the big quake in san Francisco when i was young and dont really remember it but i wouldnt want to experience it again! glad you are alright!

its crazy what power the earth has!
    -Josh