Thread: My BluRay module

Default My BluRay module

I hope this is in the right subforum, maybe it's not advanced enough!

Anyway,

I wanted to try a BluRay in my homebuilt projector so I ordered some XBOX 360 optical sleads for 25 USD, they are the "803T" variety.

I extracted the diodes but lacked a good enclosure, the popular "aixiz"-housing isn't good enough if I want to swap diodes and is not easy to mount in a way to get maximum cooling.

I machined a small heatsink from parts that I had lying around and tapped it for an "Aixiz" uncoated acrylic 9x0,5mm lens since that seems to be reasonably efficient at 405nm.

Here are som pictures:
    (it's an Aixiz 3 element glass lens in these pictures that I used it to test the threading (I changed it for an acrylic for the actual use and measurements) and a scrap red diode to check for good fit)

I use a Die4drive and get about 95mW at 120mA measured on a Coherent thermopile head.

Last edited by dar303; 10-02-2008 at 04:42. Reason: made it clearer what lens I use.

nice build but i think you will find the aixiz glass lens reduces the power. the normal plastic one will give you about 5-10 more mw
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Very nice!

You need to make me some of these.

It is surprisingly hard to find a good diode mount for building laser modules. If I had the skills and equipment I'd design my own, but that's hardly the case now.

Just realized, the case of the 803T diode isn't connected to the ground pin, right? That would enable you to mount several of these on the same metal baseplate without electrical insulation, which is very nice.

I predict you will get a nice white by mixing 250mW 405nm, 80mW 532nm and 400mW 660nm. Maybe 405nm isn't so bad after all. I'm seriously considering adding a pair of 405nm to my projector.

By the way, do you want me to mail you your gratings or will you swing by some day?

i like your little quick diode change idea! its very nice!

and like andy said the glass lense will actually rob a little of the power.

change that out

and keep up the work. im doing a similar build
    -Josh

Glad you liked it!

I didn't make it clear in the text, I used the glass lens just to test the threading, it's a acrylic in there now. I was loosing about 30% with the glass one!

thesk8midget: I actually borrowed the idea from the nice blue direct injection diode that someone on this forum built.

Tocket: When/if I get my CNC-machine ready I'll spit these out by the dozen...
    Yes, the case isn't connected to any pin, great! I'll try to combine two BR:s some day, think I'll need a bigger PBS than the one that is in the drive though.
    I can come by next week, are you at KTH? I work at Radiohuset some days...
    Do you have acess to a spectrometer, I want to test my glasses!
    Last edited by dar303; 10-01-2008 at 12:41.

You need to get that CNC running then.

I'm always at KTH these days, even some weekends. We have all sorts of spectrometers here; UV/Vis, IR, NMR... I guess you're mostly interested in the UV/Vis though. Just come by and we can run the spectrum.

Default Low loss glass aspheric lens?

I've checked here occasionally hoping to find some breakthrough, but nothing so far as I know..
    Anyone found a low loss glass aspheric lens for shortwave visible light?

Acrylic won't do, as I've seen it start good but >100 mW through one makes it spread the light from beam core to 'rings' round it. I'm fairly certain it is the lens because I tried another on the same laser, and it started good, then spread the beam like the first one did. Once the spread occurs it's irreparable. So it looks like either accept glass for good beam and terrible loss by attenuation, or acrylic for terrible loss by beam spreading. Either it really is the lens, or violet diodes have some very odd properties with long-term temperature changes or other weirdness.

If you know there IS an answer, please post. Needs focal length no greater than 5 mm, ideally less than 4 mm.

There is a special 405 in development, the optical elements are ready and we are waiting for the special lens nut to go with it.

Se this thread at LPF:
    http://www.laserpointerforums.com/fo...m=1212842385/0

It's 37 pages so itīs a lot to read.
    Short version:
    Itīs a glass lens optimized for 405nm with 9x0,5 threading (fits aixiz-style hosts) and is expected to cost between 25 and 30 USD.

Nice. Looks like the way to get it. I'll read more than the first post next time I look, but it's clear this is being dealt with well. So long as I can improvise a fitting to a tubular bore of my own devising without damaging the lens or obstructing it with any glue I have to fix it with, I'm ok with it. The price sounds ok, and if it's about 7 mm wide and the outer cylinder surface is at least 2 mm along axis, then it should be easy to use.