Thread: 1920's Light Show Innovation...

Default 1920's Light Show Innovation...

I read an article in Make magazine the other day that I thought I'd share. Very interesting!
    Read the article on the right...
    http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol14/?pg=49

Enjoy!
    Adam

Very cool, right up there with Leon Theremin!

wow! thats my kind of girl!
    -Josh

I love the idea that this article (and presumably the people that it mentions) imply that there simply IS such a thing as visual music. This article even goes into the concept of a scale of sorts.

I believe this too! A laser projector is a transducer, much like a sophisticated audio reproduction system. Instead of translating a set of complex electrical signals into multi channel, full spectrum sound, it outputs a dazzling spectacle of light.

Whatever device is used to create the stream of control signals might be thought of as either a visual music composition environment or even a visual musical instrument. Instead of plugging an electric guitar into an amp, you're plugging a (new word needed) laser-dazzler into a (new word needed) laser projector.

Another rock solid connection of this idea is the fact that the multi channel signals that control a laser projector can be recorded ~ exactly the same way audio music is recorded!

For this reason, it is possible to edit and mix visual and audio music tracks together in the same editing environment!

Eventually there will be real visual music instruments that allow a person to fully understand and control the laser projector, in real time, for both beam and graphics effects. I do not mean a computer!

James.

In the words of Mr Colmondley-Warner , "Women, Know your Limits" !
    Pretending to know the workings of a rheostat indeed! Whatever next!!