Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Roland Synthesiser

Spoilsport
    Yup, that's me! Thing is, I've been playing with synths for a long time now and have bought and sold quite a few over the years. While there's a 'nostalgia' factor with old analogue instruments, and there was some revival of interest in them when house music and acid techno came along - and let's face it, they're great fun to play with - modern digital technology just works much better, and with 'virtual' instruments now widely available, the modern synth studio is more likely to be based around a powerful computer, DAW software like Pro-Tools or Ableton Live, and a slew of virtual instruments. Any 'real' instruments would need to have Midi capabilities as a minimum, just to make them usable.
    I wasn't deliberately trying to underprice your instrument - the Vintage Synth Explorer website - http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh2000.shtml
    quotes a similar figure - just trying to be realistic. I hope I'm wrong and that you get a lot more, but don't be disappointed if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    Yup, that's me! Thing is, I've been playing with synths for a long time now and have bought and sold quite a few over the years. While there's a 'nostalgia' factor with old analogue instruments, and there was some revival of interest in them when house music and acid techno came along - and let's face it, they're great fun to play with - modern digital technology just works much better, and with 'virtual' instruments now widely available, the modern synth studio is more likely to be based around a powerful computer, DAW software like Pro-Tools or Ableton Live, and a slew of virtual instruments. Any 'real' instruments would need to have Midi capabilities as a minimum, just to make them usable.
    I wasn't deliberately trying to underprice your instrument - the Vintage Synth Explorer website - http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh2000.shtml
    quotes a similar figure - just trying to be realistic. I hope I'm wrong and that you get a lot more, but don't be disappointed if you don't.
    Hey no worries, I was just having a bit of fun

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I had no idea what it was worth, so your input is appreciated (even if it is a little disappointing ). I decided to put it on Ebay as a 'best offer' then if the offers are crap I don't have to let it go. If this is the case it will just sit where it's always been and it will get taken out occasionally when I feel like making some silly sounds

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

No problem, they say everything has its price - I guess the only way to get an accurate value of something is to put it on the market and find out. It might pay you to post your Ebay sale details on some of the vintage synth forums / newsgroups as well as on PL! It will be interesting to find out what you're offered - perhaps you could post the results on here?

I have also been heavily into analog synths for the last 15 years and I can't agree with you!
    The general prices for second hand analog synthesizers are at an all time high and quite common machines are selling for stupid amounts of money! It's not just a Swedish thing (where I live) but ebay and internet forums has made this thing global.
    Your statement that most modern synth studios is only digital seems strange to me, I see the developemnt like this:
    First everybody was analog, then came digital hardware, then came digital software and now it has matured so the technologies can live together in the studio.
    Many people I know of are actually starting to incorporate analog stuff into their Cubase/Ableton/ProTools setup, many of them building their own analog/hybrid stuff.
    There are lots of companies selling cheap, good and easily installed midi to CV converters, I installed one into a JP4 a few days ago, took me 15 minutes!

Regarding the SH1000/SH2000's the ideal "customer" to buy such an instrument in my view is not a hardcore analog sythesizer-nerd but some post/psychedelia-rock band that wants a cool sounding and looking synth for live and studio use.
    I serviced a SH2000 yesterday for such a band!
    Today I saw a SH1000 without case and manuals and som broken tabs for 3500SEK (291GBP) at www.vendolin.se

Interesting discussion by the way!

/Daniel

dar 303 - I agree about analogue synths being incorporated into digital setups, but this is only possible if the synth has CV/Gate connections so that a Midi to CV/Gate converter can be attached - one of the reasons why the SH-101, for example, is still sought after. However, the SH-2000 doesn't have any such connectivity, and it would cost serious money to incorporate it, if it were indeed possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the SH-2000 has no value, but I'd expect it to be worth less than an SH-101 purely because of this lack of upgradability - the best fun with, and most popular use of this sort of instrument seems to be had by letting a sequencer take care of the melody, (especially a good thumping bass line!) while the filter knobs are twiddled in 'real time'. Nevertheless, Jem's example looks to be in great condition, so he's likely to get the maximum achievable price for the model - all he has to do is find someone who wants it - and if a band were to have a big hit with a track that uses that instrument, its value could go through the roof.

Item didn't sell the first time around so i've stuck it back on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110303199874

A guy contacted me after the auction had finished and was really enthusiastic about it, had me providing allsorts of details, and then I never heard from him - weird... and a timewaster, so it's taken me a while to get it relisted.

Funny thing is there's loads more people watching it this time, perhaps it was just bad timing before.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I stuck it on Ebay

Never tried the 'Best Offer' before, so I thought i'd give it a go.

Item number: 110296417292

Cheers

Jem
    I am a half a million in sales a year ebayerist , in MHHO , best offer shows desperation unless your starting price 150-200% of what realistic value is then maybe sometimes a really good listing for ten days started low at .99 is way to go you can always cancel all bids and relist as long as yoy DO NOT WAIT till last 24 hours. If you can get a fish feeding frenzy going by starting real low people can frequently do REALLY stupid bidding going Mine it's got to be mine. BTW ending on payday 1st 14th sunday mid afternoon to 7 pm cst or 10am-2pm on mon can bring out insecure stupid bids on desirable items.
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    I am a half a million in sales a year ebayerist , in MHHO , best offer shows desperation unless your starting price 150-200% of what realistic value is then maybe sometimes a really good listing for ten days started low at .99 is way to go you can always cancel all bids and relist as long as yoy DO NOT WAIT till last 24 hours. If you can get a fish feeding frenzy going by starting real low people can frequently do REALLY stupid bidding going Mine it's got to be mine. BTW ending on payday 1st 14th sunday mid afternoon to 7 pm cst or 10am-2pm on mon can bring out insecure stupid bids on desirable items.
    Thanks for that, it's really good and sound information, quite obvious really regarding the finishing times relating to pay day, although I hadn't thought of it.

Jem

O.K., so the auction just finished.

There were 28 people watching it and the winning bid was £205. It's going to a new home in Bonnie Scotland

So, I guess that's what it was worth

Cheers

Jem

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

.... it's not vastly valuable - £100 would be reasonable, £150 if you're very lucky..
    I guess that places you in the category of "Jammy B*&~#$" then.