Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Roland Synthesiser

Default Vintage Roland Synthesiser

Hi all

I've decided it's time to part company with my vintage early 1970's Roland SH2000 Synth. Trouble is i've absolutely no idea what it's likely to be worth. I'll probably end up putting it on Ebay but i'd like to put a reserve on it as I would rather keep it than it fetch nothing.

It's an early model with the Moog style filters (they apparently changed the filter in later models because of copyright infringement), it's generally considered that the earlier models were the best.

These synths have enjoyed something of a revival lately, being used by such artists as Norman Cook (AKA Fatboy Slim, Mighty Dub Katz, Housemartins, Beats International etc.), Jimmy Destri of Blondie, Fillmore, Human League, Nick Magnus with Steve Hackett, Mike Oldfield, David Palmer of Jethro Tull, Eddie Spence with the Gordon Giltrap Band, Supergrass etc.

It's in virtually mint condition apart from a small bit of damage to the wooden end fascia panel (see photo). That was my fault as I caught it on a door frame . It comes complete with all schematics and operation manual. It's in a genuine Roland flight case that is also in superb condition.

If anyone here is interested, make me an offer. Otherwise an idea of it's worth would be good and i'll pop it on Ebay.

Cheers

Jem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04551.JPG  

DSC04552.JPG  

DSC04550.JPG  

DSC04554.JPG  

DSC04555.JPG  

Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

The main drawback of this model is the lack of CV/Gate connectivity, so you can't run it from a sequencer or add a Midi interface. It's not one of the old synths regarded as a 'classic' and it's around 30 years old - so unfortunately, it's not vastly valuable - £100 would be reasonable, £150 if you're very lucky; much less if any of the 'Tabs' are broken. Could be worth sampling as many of the sounds off it as you can, just in case you need them in future!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    The main drawback of this model is the lack of CV/Gate connectivity, so you can't run it from a sequencer or add a Midi interface. It's not one of the old synths regarded as a 'classic' and it's around 30 years old - so unfortunately, it's not vastly valuable - £100 would be reasonable, £150 if you're very lucky; much less if any of the 'Tabs' are broken. Could be worth sampling as many of the sounds off it as you can, just in case you need them in future!
    Thanks

That's a bit disappointing really, I think I was hoping for more like £250 ish (don't know why, it just seemed like a nice round figure )

Maybe i'll rethink and just keep it as it really does make some 'lovely' sounds

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Smart Synth !!!

Brings Back memories of the keyboards i had...and repaired
    The Jupitor 8 , 7 , juno 101 e.t.c

Jen SX1000 Moog Rogue Korg E.t.c

The white Casio keyboard similar to the one that was used in the Da De Da Da Song

Cheerz
    2 WATT DPSS RGB

I stuck it on Ebay

Never tried the 'Best Offer' before, so I thought i'd give it a go.

Item number: 110296417292

Cheers

Jem

What are you talking about!!!!??

CV Gate via a kenton socket kit - easy.

I think all the early roland synths are classic. Maybe not like a profit5 or minimoog, but still very correctable.

I think you will do a lot better than 100 pounds....

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

It looks like it is in excellent condition and has a very nice case, manuals etc. so you might get 200-300£ or more if you find the right buyer.

CV Gate via a kenton socket kit - easy.
    Well, it would be easy if Kenton made a kit for this synth - unfortunately, they dont - and even those that they do make are £250 each or more...

I think all the early roland synths are classic.
    Unfortunately, the marketplace doesn't agree - there's only a thriving market for some models such as the SH-101, Juno 6, Juno 60, Jupiter 4, Jupiter 8 - and of course, the TB-303 and the TR-606 & TR-808.
    Let's look at the SH-101 as an example, it being about the cheapest classic Roland synth on the market. You can pick up an SH-101 for around £200 - £300 but the SH-101 is a much more desirable and sought-after piece of kit than the SH2000, hence my guestimated valuation for the SH2000.

Of course, there's always the one collector or studio that's looking for a particular instrument or sound, so you may get lucky...

Bottom line is that £300 will buy you a used Novation Supernova, recognised as the best 'analogue' synth on the market, which is an order of magnitude more versatile and capable than any old monosynth, so it rather puts the cap on the market for lesser instruments.

Well, it would be easy if Kenton made a kit for this synth - unfortunately, they dont - and even those that they do make are £250 each or more...

Unfortunately, the marketplace doesn't agree - there's only a thriving market for some models such as the SH-101, Juno 6, Juno 60, Jupiter 4, Jupiter 8 - and of course, the TB-303 and the TR-606 & TR-808.
    Let's look at the SH-101 as an example, it being about the cheapest classic Roland synth on the market. You can pick up an SH-101 for around £200 - £300 but the SH-101 is a much more desirable and sought-after piece of kit than the SH2000, hence my guestimated valuation for the SH2000.

Of course, there's always the one collector or studio that's looking for a particular instrument or sound, so you may get lucky...

Bottom line is that £300 will buy you a used Novation Supernova, recognised as the best 'analogue' synth on the market, which is an order of magnitude more versatile and capable than any old monosynth, so it rather puts the cap on the market for lesser instruments.

Spoilsport

Jem