Thread: Which glue, and what about polorizeing

Default Which glue, and what about polorizeing

Ok got two questions
    The cube that combines the maxyz's, it's glue to the mount.
    What type of glue would that be?

second

If I wanted to combine two blues using the PBS cube we all got from Bridge a while back, does one have to be at an angle because of polorization?

Thanks

Cool

If Chuck mounted the cube for you, then he probably used "JB Quick" 2-part epoxy. That's what he's been using for some time. If you can't find that brand, don't worry. Just about any quick-drying 2-part epoxy will work.

You *don't* want to use any type of cyanoacrilate glue though. (So-called "super glue".) The vapors from those types of glues will leave deposits on your optics.

As for the polarization issue - if you already have both lasers, then yeah, you're going to have to tip one laser on it's side and mount it that way. You need one beam to be horrizontally polarized, and the other to be vertically polarized. I don't know what the standard polarization angle is for Laser Wave lasers... You can check it though, if you have the faces of your cube labeled (H&V).

On the other hand, if you haven't already bought your lasers, ask Bridge to supply them as a matched set with one laser having a horizontally polarized beam and the other having a vertically polarized beam. It's fairly easy for them to do this at the factory - they just rotate the optical train inside the head before they seal it.

If you already have the lasers, I suppose you could crack the case on the heads and do that yourself, but you'd void the warranty.

Adam

Graham

I dont know about the glue used on Maxys myself - do you want to know so you can mount another cube or do you want to know cos you want to remove this one?
    If you are mounting a new one then the only recommendations are something that will hold it firm but be easy to remove should you need to free it off and a type of glue that does not outgas. Superglue for example liberates a gas as it cures which puts a bloom on nearby objects. If this goes on your optics its bad news so either dont use superglue or only use it if you can protect your optics during curing. Once its gone off it will be ok and will not outgas further. I would use 2 part epoxy (araldite) but use in moderation and be careful as its stringy when you are applying it and you dont want that on your optics either!
    For a 15mm cube I would place a small blob (half the size of a 5p) on the mount and then place the cube onto this pushing it gently down until the epoxy squeezes out the sides.

As for blues - you can get Laser-Wave lasers with oposing polarisation but you would need to know how the first one was polarised which may be easier said than done. One test to do is put the cube in front of your existing blue laser and note if the beam goes through or comes out of the side of the cube. Whichever it is you will need your second blue to do the opposite - if it does the same you will need to mount it at 90 degrees to the baseplate. With many lasers this proves a problem due to heat transfer but the Laser-wave heads have a built in fan to remove heat from the head so dont need to be mounted on a heatsink as such.

Hope this helps

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks for those replies.

I want to rebuild my god awful attempt and gain more power in the proceeds. Just exploring all the avenues.

sweet these were two questions i was actually about to ask.

and the opposite polarization refers to all lasers correct? including normal diode lasers?

ie a home made red or 405nm?
    -Josh

Cool

Josh;

Yes - a PBS cube works the same way no matter what sort of laser you're using. You still need a horizontally polarized beam and a vertically polarized beam. So long as you have a laser that emits a polarized beam, you can rotate the laser to get the polarization angle correct.

Adam