Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opnext HL6385DG - 642nm 150mw 5.6mm diodes

Stuck on 21 diodes Come on guys -- try just one !!!

Mike

Default I wanna 642...Ya Hoo...but !!!!

Hello ALL,

Hmmmmm ???? Me and Terra Watt want to go to 642nm...BUT !!!! Well ...we allready have the Maxyz duals....sure would be nice IF you could remove the existing 658nm-9mm cans ...use an adaptor to fit the HL6385DG-5.6mm can package into the Maxyz optical set-up ( Which is VERY nice !!!! )

Then drive the diodes with (2) two seperate-2die4 drivers. Mech3Engineer
    (Mike) sez that you would likely want to TE cool...no problem...slap a peltier unit on the underside of the Maxyz mount plate...maybe control the TE with an Aubers Controller....and...WALAA...1200MW apparent optical power in a blaze of Orange/Red !!!!!

Any other " Rocket Scientist " have a comment ??? Please ??? I would need to really research this....OR ELSE...end up with one or more VERY expensive LED's !!! Very SAD !!! Anyother owners of Maxyz Duals out there thinkin these same thoughts ?? !!!Lets see Diode @ 203.00 USD, Driver @ 25.00 USD,... That comes to 228 x 2 = $456.00 + TE at 20.00 + Aubers Controller 4 TE @ 30.00 USD....$$$ 506.00...oh...and 10 bucks 4 beer to shore up the nerve to face the ESD Monsters...there ya go...

WHO's FIRST !!!! Terra sez..."woof, woof...someone else...whereza Milk Bone " ????

BoB / CDBEAM
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 10-08-2008 at 09:27. Reason: Stupid math error !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    ...we allready have the Maxyz duals....sure would be nice IF you could remove the existing 658nm-9mm cans ...
    Why take the Maxyz apart though Bob? They are nice and it would be a shame to rape them for the housings, you'll still end up with the same (quite large) footprint as well..

Just get a small "L" shaped mount machined up to clamp some (electrically isolated) Aixiz housings and poke a pair of 642nm beams into a PBS and add that tight 300mW of 642nm (probably less nm's once cooled) in with the Maxyz.

I may even do a small run of dual diode mounts - if there's enough interest

I have been machining mine from 3/8" "L" channel 6061-t6 aluminum. I need to finish them up with a slitting saw and a pinch bolt instead of interference fitting...
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default The Path Of Evolution !!!!

Simon ( P1t8ull ),

Ok then, yes, you are correct...It would be a shame to mess the Maxyz set up !!!!
    I guess I am still traveling down the path of " evolution "....and am not evolved ( Read educated ! ) enough to design a optics and electronics package to use the HL6385DG diodes !!! I'm not being a " wise guy "...I just really do not have the knowledge to put it all together.
    Puting a projector together is difficult enough !!! Designing the Laser system that goes into the projector...that is the next stage of evolution !!! Within the PL group...I am sure there is GREAT knowledge of how this can be done...I am am sure it will be...likely shortly !!! Because...there is a need !!!!!
    Bottom line...I will wait for this to play out !!! And then I will go for the 642's !!!
    I am very interested in a " kit " which uses (2) two HL6385DG units....lika a " Paint by Number " deal !!! Terra Watt (The Laser Dog ) sez the same thing !!! I would think there are many in this same boat !!!! I'll be watchin !!!!!!! THANX !!!!!

BoB / CDBEAM

Note: And when it is done....the unit WILL ride atop the MAXYZ....I envision....Diode modules in a vertical position...pointing DOWN....
    ...like taking the MAXYZ set up...and putting it " On edge "...then the combined 642 beams "join" the beam path...from above...into the custom
    Dichro here on PL....for existing projectors...with very limited space on the optics elevation....this MAY be a way...to " Have it ALL " !!! i am also sure it will be a real " Wet Dream " to align " hahahaha !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I have been machining mine from 3/8" "L" channel 6061-t6 aluminum. I need to finish them up with a slitting saw and a pinch bolt instead of interference fitting...
    "L" channel, good idea.
    I like common anode MM diodes now, much easier... My answer to the common cathode problem is to pot the housings into a mounting block with thermal epoxy. Very rigid (Oooeer missus..) -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05765.JPG  

Thumbs up

This is happening chaps

I'll send out some PM's this evening to those who have committed so far and so long as I can collect the £'s will be placing the order next Wednesday the 15th, should have the diodes in hand a few days later and will ship them out ASAP.

So, if anyone wants in on these you only have a few more days to pull your finger out...

P1t8ull 2
    Dave 5
    Non PL 6
    Dr Lava 2
    FourDee 2
    Xytrell 2
    Mike Hemlock 1
    MechEng3 1

Simon -- If I PP you $207.40 USD, Will that cover it all??

Mike

Default Getting my finger (and credit card) out

OK, I need a couple of these bad boys. Even if it means no beer for a month.

So put me down for two and let me know how to pay you. I hope it's not too late.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    "L" channel, good idea.
    I like common anode MM diodes now, much easier... My answer to the common cathode problem is to pot the housings into a mounting block with thermal epoxy. Very rigid (Oooeer missus..) -
    How did you make sure that the epoxy layer was thick enough so that there wasn't any metal on metal?