Thread: basic laser diagram

Cool basic laser diagram

hi
    im in the process of building a 1 watt rgb laser projector and have drawn the way i think this should be done. this is a very simple drawing and is just for me to ask everone if i have all of the features that i need and that the wiring order is right. its just to get my head around it as this is the first projector i have built

cheers
    oli

shutter right before beam enters scanners.

other than that, excellent job! i started one for ya too after we talked.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Default cheers

i was just making that up quickly before i went to sleep and realised i didnt have any room for the shutter but im confident thats pretty simple. i think ill use the solenoid idea cause its less to go wrong i feel. its better as a safety feature as it wont open until there is power there.

cheers mate.
    waiting on the glorious parts to arrive now and then ill never look back. ill probably have something stupid like a 10 watt system soon cause i wont be able to stop getting bigger and bigger diodes.
    i was pricing it up actually and realised it would cost about $75000, its about £40000 and thats without scanners

looks good to me.

i think the boxes on the top right are for modulation of the lasers right?

sizes will vary and once you get everything im sure you wll play around with a lot of different layouts.
    -Josh

What is the 240V DC good for?
    You usually feed the powersupplys for the laser 240v AC and they transform it to whatever low voltage the drivers need, no rectifying of the incoming AC is done to my knowledge.

Default ac dc

i messed up with that. i ment the 240 dc to have a 240v - dc. i think it becomes dc in the second box on my diagram which is as far as i know for the modulation of the laser i just didnt make what i ment very clear. +5v dc modulating. thats the way i understood it but i may well be wrong. as i have said im relatively new to this and have never built a projector before. i also understand it that the laser is still fed with the main incoming supply aswell to power the diode. i thought the diagram would get confusing if i put all this on it. if i am wrong with any of this could someone please fill me in on the errors

cheers oli
    Last edited by oliverst14@hotmail.com; 10-07-2008 at 14:35.

Unless Im missing something,

Swapping the Red and the Blue over so that the Blue is optically closest to the scanners?

Toby

That's how my lasers were laid out. But I just found that the dichros work a lot better if the angle is a little less than 45 degrees. So, I am going to rework my scanner so that the lasers are angled a bit. Probably around 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees as show in the picture. I recommend that anyone building a new scanner consider doing this. This is not a new discovery but I didn't realize how much of a difference it makes until I measured the difference with a power meter.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    i messed up with that. i ment the 240 dc to have a 240v - dc. i think it becomes dc in the second box on my diagram which is as far as i know for the modulation of the laser i just didnt make what i ment very clear. +5v dc modulating. thats the way i understood it but i may well be wrong. as i have said im relatively new to this and have never built a projector before. i also understand it that the laser is still fed with the main incoming supply aswell to power the diode. i thought the diagram would get confusing if i put all this on it. if i am wrong with any of this could someone please fill me in on the errors

cheers oli
    Oli
    Depending on which laser sources you have the mains should be converted in the first box from 240VAC to something in the order of 5V. This is fed to the second box which is the diode and tec driver (some have a single feed in others have multiple feeds like 12V and 5V). The output of this to the laser head cannot be defined by simply saying x number of volts. (for the diode its actually about 2v) better just to mark it 'feed to head' though calling it chocolate sauce wont stop it doing what it does - but its a good idea to get a good handle on all the cables and thier purpose. Especially the hot ones!
    as for the dichro comment - it depends on which dichros you are using as to the best layout.
    Rob

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Default cheers

thanks

i do know most of whats been said. it was more that this is the order that it needs wiring i was looking at. i understand all the voltages as im a service engineer. i work with low to high voltage equipment on a daily basis. it was more of a order thing i wanted to get in my head.

cheers for the advice though
    oli