Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Are DEVO!

Default We Are DEVO!

My partner and I just got tickets to see DEVO, in Akron, at the historic Civic Theater!

It is a fund raiser for Obama!

How cool is that?

I can't wait!

James.

PLEASE do not mention politics(even in passing by mentioning a candidate)
    its just bad form for ANY non political forum

PLEASE do not mention politics(even in passing by mentioning a candidate)
    its just bad form for ANY non political forum
    I agree.............

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    My partner and I just got tickets to see DEVO, in Akron, at the historic Civic Theater!

It is a fund raiser for Obama!

How cool is that?

I can't wait!

James.

That *IS* cool !!!!!!!!!!

I love Jocko Homo

Hope you have a great time, let us know how it goes.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

These guys are from Akron, Ohio.

I have all of their records!

I saw them in 1982, in Cleveland.

I was too young to see them in Akron, before they went pro.

These guys have always been anti-establishment.

This should be a treat.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 10-17-2008 at 21:30.

These guys are from Akron, Ohio.

I have all of their records!

I saw them in 1982, (I think) in Cleveland.

I was too young to see them in Akron, before they went pro.

These guys have always been anti-establishment.

This should be a treat.

James.
    It certainly will be a treat , Their music was so refreshing in its day, maybe they've mellowed like a good wine over the last 26 years

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    It certainly will be a treat , Their music was so refreshing in its day, maybe they've mellowed like a good wine over the last 26 years

Jem
    I don't think they will ever get all the credit they deserve for the positive influence they had on music, art and culture.

They were a HUGE influence on me!

I remember how visual their videos and their live shows were! They always injected a lot of symbolism into their stuff.

I expect to see some good eye-candy!

This might sound weird, but I went from total Beatles freak to DEVO. I still love both!

BTW My partner Terry was at the very same DEVO show in Cleveland, when I was like 17... We actually met like 11 years later. Hmmmmm.

James.

PS

Slackware was one of the first Linux distributions. It was a product of the Church of the SubGenius.

With an obviouse connection to Devo.

PSS I was (almost) interviewed by Jim Mothersbaugh for a nice IT job in Akron.

Dahm!

PSSS I have only been to one SubGenius Devival. It was fun!
    Last edited by James Lehman; 10-07-2008 at 22:09.

I expect to see some good eye-candy!
    As a raging heterosexual am I getting into something here that I should be worried about

Cheers

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    As a raging heterosexual am I getting into something here that I should be worried about

Cheers

Jem
    No. Nothing like that. Maybe my use of the phrase "eye-candy" is not the most appropriate.

They inject a lot of visual messages into their performances. They had a huge video screen behind them when I saw them years ago. It's usually not that shocking, it's just stuff to make you think. If anything, they want you to think... for yourself.

BTW They're not gay. But they are very open to diversity. The crowds they draw are very interesting.

James.

No. Nothing like that. Maybe my use of the phrase "eye-candy" is not the most appropriate.

They inject a lot of visual messages into their performances. They had a huge video screen behind them when I saw them years ago. It's usually not that shocking, it's just stuff to make you think. If anything, they want you to think... for yourself.

BTW They're not gay. But they are very open to diversity. The crowds they draw are very interesting.

James.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that one up James

All the best

Jem