Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremal cutting

Default Dremal cutting

Hi All. I'm a little confused as to what I need.
    I'm looking for a disc shaped blade for my dremal.
    I'm making a metal enclosure for my FB3 and I want to cut some slits into the side of the alu enclosure.
    I saw someons post before and they used a dremal.
    I've got a dremal but the discs that came with mine appear to be made from a flimsy material. Surely I cant cut with them.

Anyway I found these...
    http://www.tool-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Cutting.html
    Are these what I need to make some slits in the side of a aluminium box?

Thanks.

Actually, those flimsy discs cut QUITE well - they're even good for cutting off bolts, etc.!! They wear out pretty quick, but they're cheap!!

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHILE CUTTING WITH THEM !!!

Just go slow, and make every effort not to flex the disc side-to-side while cutting. If the disc chips or cracks, toss it, since they WILL fly apart at high RPM if there's any damage!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Oh Great...Ill give it a go then. I thought they were no good....
    I will wear glasses....I have some luuuuverly see through plastic ones I used when sawing and drilling.

Thanks Stuka

The normal cutting disks (lightgrey) are flimsy.
    The reinforced (dark brown thin) shatter easy but cut quite well.
    Keep a steady hand.. if you wobble , the disk shatters.

There is alse a heavyduty reinforced disk (3mm) that doesn't shatter but is a little to expensive....and you can't cut small turns because of the thickness and disk size.

Use some good glasses... you will shatter disks at these high rpm's

What are they made from then?

and you can't cut small turns
    Hmm, I'll have to try this one out to see what you mean.

Anyway as soon as Maplins stops f***ing about and send me what I actually oredered I will give this a go.

yeah and sometimes to do corners i drill a hole to kind of mark and have a good spot to meet
    -Josh

If for some reason you decide to put a CD/DVD disc on the rotary sander kind of tool for the dremel and spin it up I advise you to wear full plate mail. I have a hole in my ceiling from the last time I tried that. Gives you a pretty good idea of how much energy can be stored in a spinning disc.

I use the small flimsy discs for all my cutting and so far I've managed to break more of them while storing the tool than when using it for cutting. I think they're pretty durable, but of course, if you bend them they'll break.

Cool

If you find that you're breaking lots of the ceramic cut-off wheels when using your Dremel tool, then the next time you're in the hardware store, pick up some of these instead. They're reinforced with fiberglass, and they are a *lot* more durable. Not only will they resist shattering, but they last longer as well. I use them for just about everything these days.

Adam

What do you need a dremal for, making a FB3 enclosure? Just mark up the holes to be cut, drill a series of holes inside the edge of the area to be cut out and remove the section, then clean up with needle files... Works for me
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    What do you need a dremal for, making a FB3 enclosure? Just mark up the holes to be cut, drill a series of holes inside the edge of the area to be cut out and remove the section, then clean up with needle files... Works for me
    That's one way but it is easier and faster with a Dremel tool.