Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: benelux laser meet

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Anthony;

Francesco (UncleWorm) is from the Netherlands, and yet he attended SELEM 2008 here in the US.

Likewise, Ray (Pitts) traveled all the way from New Zealand to attend FLEM Mark II in March of this year.

Bottom line: just because the event is in another country doesn't mean that people won't travel far and wide to attend the event. You should encourage people to come from afar.

As for the language issue - if you don't want anyone from an English-speaking nation to be able to attend your meet, then feel free to post in Dutch. However, I believe you are doing the community, and yourselves, a disservice by doing that. You may miss out on valuable tips from others that have already hosted several Laser Enthusiast's Meetings. (Particularly our UK members, who have managed to host some of the largest meets to date...)

Also, no one mentioned terrorism; why did you bring it up? (The lesson here is: Don't judge all Americans by our foreign policy.)

The "fragmenting" argument is based on the experience of numerous other forums that have split apart once certain groups started talking only to themselves. It's a low risk with our group, I think, but it *is* a risk nonetheless.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Adam
    Adam,

The terrorist thing was just a joke to exaggerate... just to ridicule the situation. No offending intended.
    Maybe i beginning to feel more FREE to kid around in a less formal way.

I know francesco attended the selem meet... i tried following his LIVEpro seminar via the live stream (as you know, because i was chatting with you at te time)

I think it was more an easy option to talk dutch... a quick way to say what you mean in a clear and quick way.
    NOT a "no foreign people" thing....

Splitting is not an issue ... not on this forum.
    It's a way to small community for small groups.
    (there are some exeptions on this forum...)

Now that i'm thinking of it.... I'm hijacking the thread with CHAT that has not alot to do with a BELEM meet.....

English it is.....

It's OK Anthony - I'm not upset. And I see your point about it being easier to talk in your native toungue. I just don't want us to grow apart.

(Can I get a group hug?)

Adam

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Regarding the language issue, I think it's better to continue in English. If for instance Bill wants to fly over and participate or samething (maybe when he's there for the ilda conference) then he can follow this thread.

Regarding when and where:
    I think that we should have a location somewhere on the border between holland and belgium as there are people from both countries.
    For some people it would imply a 3-4 hour drive otherwise.
    So somewhere between Breda and Antwerp would be ideal.

As for the time of the event, we should not rush things. For me, personally, it would be nicer to wait until late winter, early spring 2009.
    This also gives the time to prepare things properly (as finding a location).

As for international guests, pleople from the uk, france and germany would be appriciated.
    Maybe Dirk Bauer could come over to give some inside info about mamba...

Quote Originally Posted by jeejeedr View Post
    Regarding when and where:
    I think that we should have a location somewhere on the border between holland and belgium as there are people from both countries.
    For some people it would imply a 3-4 hour drive otherwise.
    So somewhere between Breda and Antwerp would be ideal.

As for the time of the event, we should not rush things. For me, personally, it would be nicer to wait until late winter, early spring 2009.
    This also gives the time to prepare things properly (as finding a location).

As for international guests, pleople from the uk, france and germany would be appriciated.
    Maybe Dirk Bauer could come over to give some inside info about mamba...
    Ok lets try to find out which city would be the best, If it will not be Amsterdam I will step out arranging the location.

Maybe we can do a poll

1 Vote for Amsterdam (Purmerend)

I'm quite busy so I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate, but with some good planning.. count me in!

Living in Haarlem, I also vote for Amsterdam!

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Ok lets try to find out which city would be the best, If it will not be Amsterdam I will step out arranging the location.

Maybe we can do a poll

1 Vote for Amsterdam (Purmerend)
    To vote, you need a list of posibilities
    So let's see:
    Amsterdam
    RotterDam
    Breda
    Antwerp
    Ghent

One of the last three have my vote.

Or we could see who wants to come and then see what the geographical centre is....

if you guys are planning this for next year ... im sure i will be able to attend ... plus i have a few hundred thousand KLM airmiles to use

i think Amsterdam would be a great place... but i have also worked in Breda ( spent months at the Mentos factory which supisingly is nowhere near the Pepsi factory ) and it is one of the most beautifull towns in the world that i have ever visited

but i would like to visit the meet wherever it is held

and also i will more than likely be going to the ilda meet ... so if it can be held around the same time that would be fantastic

all the best ... Karl

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I have the solution for that language issue: just post in two languages. Everybody happy. (in fact, the Benelux contains three languages... sorry - four: West-Flemish, wondering if there will be somebody from Wallonia)
    Back on topic I vote for Ghent, it is closest to me.
    And does somebody knows if there will be some guest speakers? I am thinking of building a RGB in the future, and some live explication would be handy.

--------------
    Ik heb de oplossing voor dat taalprobleem: post gewoon in twee talen. Iedereen gelukkig. (in feite zijn er drie talen in de Benelux... sorry - vier: West-Vlaams! Ik vraag me af of er iemand komt uit Wallonië)
    Terug naar het onderwerp zou ik stemmen voor Gent, omdat dit het dichtst ligt bij mij.
    En weet iemand of er gastsprekers komen? Ik denk eraan om in de toekomst een RGB te bouwen, en live uitleg zou handig zijn.

Florian

Hmm, the perfect location I had in mind costs about 700 euro.
    this includes a barkeeper for drinks and a security guy.

So I think this is al little bit expensive, so I will go over to plan B unless we can find sponsors

Plan B is a smaller location, also ok, but little bit harder to reach and don't know if we can blind the windows.

I'll keep you updated, but if someone else got a good loaction dont hesitate to post it here!