Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: controlling FB3 with a Mac

I use it with Bootcamp or parallels and it works good

The latest version of VMware Fusion fixes the problems with the FB3 driver; works well now. (Parallels performance is not as good as VMware's, and for some reason on my elderly Core Duo MBP it doesn't want to run at all, so that's why I don't use it.)

So, yes- you can run Pangolin software on VMware now. It works kinda OK. Boot Camp, of course, works perfectly because it's just a PC.

Hi Heroic,

Glad to hear from you again, and glad to hear that the FB3 will work with VMWare.

We did look into the driver code pretty extensively, and had several testers with MACs etc. and we just can't find any problems. My assumption is that the problem was with VMWare all along...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Heroic,

Glad to hear from you again, and glad to hear that the FB3 will work with VMWare.

We did look into the driver code pretty extensively, and had several testers with MACs etc. and we just can't find any problems. My assumption is that the problem was with VMWare all along...

Bill
    Hi Bill,

I actually have friends at VMware and it turns out that the problem was the driver using a USB device handle after it was freed- this is not a problem on a real Windows machine since nothing else will use the USB and so the handle will not be reused. However on a Mac running VMware, the host OS is still using the USB host controller and this causes VMware to trap the access and terminate the virtual machine.

VMware 2.0 reworked this logic slightly and added padding to the handle allocation code so that the (quite a few) drivers that do this won't fall over any more.

Hope this helps,

-J.

Yes, I will pass your hint onto the driver writer and see if we can find anything like this in the source.

Bill