Thread: It happend in Norway! Pilots blinded by lasers ..

Default It happend in Norway! Pilots blinded by lasers ..

You heard about it many times in US..
    But this is my first time in Norway I think..

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2008/10/12/550013.html

http://hangar.no/news/117/ARTICLE/2082/2008-10-12.html

The page is Norwegian (sorry I could not find any english news page that had the story) !

But what happend is that someone has used a laser to blind more than one pilot when they did arrive at Gardemoen Airport in Norway !
    It`s the biggest Airport in Norway (1hour from Oslo)

The pilots say the laser must have been powerful, becouse there must be some power to feel unpleasant like they did !

The funny part is what it says last on the page:

The police says if the laserman is found he will get a hard punnish!
    But they DONT know what (paragraf?) law he break, but they say they are sure there must be illeagal to shine a laser to a airplane... lol

As you se here from the statement of the police, I dont have to worry so much (so far) to use my lasers outdoor :P

And yes I have used my lasers outdoor many many times.. but i KNOW exatactly when and where the 4 planes is comming in to landing where I live each day

If this keeps happening us hobbyists are going to get fucked.

Maybe, in the US at least, you should have to obtain a license to own and operate anything over 5mW. Basically just a form and a reasonable fee, like $20.

I know, I know, I am totally against more government intervention myself however, the form will set guidelines like not disturbing the peace or aiming at airplanes. If you operate outside those guidelines you get the book thrown at you big time. Just like a concealed weapons permit.

Yeah it sucks, but I'd hate to see lasers made illegal except to maybe the top laser show artists or universities just because some idiots can buy on ebay.

Adam

They'll probably just restrict pointers as they're usually the culprits. There's no many people running around with huge projectors and portable generators!!

Pointers in the UK have been restricted for years now, with no real adverse effects.

As to the pilots syaing what they did, well you have to remember people sometimes exagerate. There was a bus driver in the UK targeted by a 5mw device before the more powerful stuff was banned from over 1/2 mile away and he had a week off work, was at 1st claiming permanent eye damage etc all from 5mw. Imagine the divergence on that. I'm not saying it wasn't dangerous simply because of the dazzle, just that sometimes people exagerate or have their own agenda. That may or may not be the case here.

Just have the local authorities around Gardemoen look for any missing village idiots. Chances are, he'll be one of them.
    Scaremongering or not, this is exactly the kind of bad press that damages this industry we all love

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    Wow, Google translation has really improved. It use dto be halaiuriouse to read translated sites but now it's actully very readable.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    ...It use dto be halaiuriouse to read translated sites ....
    Some posts by English speakers fall into that category too!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Some posts by English speakers fall into that category too!

hehe, sorry, I can't spell and I make no extra effort to do so.

Angry

Damn Kids big and small, old and young, You all need to stop pointing lasers at the F*$%ING airplane's.... Don't you know that your going to mess it up for EVERYONE!!!!!!!

STOP FU%#ING AROUND AND GROW UP!
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

Default Happends again

http://translate.google.com/translat...ce&sl=no&tl=en
    I used the google transfer...you understand...