Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A different way to make shows: Improvements in 3D rendering

Rofl!

I already have your face tatooed on my ass.... there is no place left for a PL tatoo..

It's a really funny tatoo because somethime's it looks like you have eaten chocolatecake and made a mess.

bye bye james.

Hey you kids, This used to be the A different way to make shows: Improvements in 3D rendering thread. remember? If you like PL as much as you say you do, quit spoiling an otherwise interesting and readable forum.

Jij ook anthony, enig idee hoe irritant het het is dat je van die vreselijk grappige plaatjes post? Ga lekker naar het fok! forum of een ander hol waar ze dat wel waarderen.

The irony is that I've worked with drlava.

He came up with this fabulous idea. He's into 3D CAD animation.

He's also way into LaserBoy.

James.

Personally, I don't believe in encrypting shows, limiting people on how to use certain software, and vendor lock in. But I can understand why some people want to have it though... People work hard on their shows, and they want to protect it to make some money.
    You are however fighting a losing battle in the long term. (look at mp3, divx, ebooks, etc..) Encryption means nothing once people want something. The fact that the encrypted showformat is not cracked yet, is because the lasercommunity is not yet big enough.

I fully support people like James, and I certainly hope that at some point, he can be the "Linus Torvalds" of lasershow hardware/software.

PS: I'm an hobby laserist and bought an FB3 because the hardware+software was worth the money in my opinion. Also because Bill is very open and supportive to his customers which earned him the respect from the community here. Without that, I would have never bought an FB3. (And still waiting for an SDK!!!!!!)

Regards,
    Wim (a guy that is switching to ubuntu)

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    There you go launching derogatory remarks toward me again...

I don't care about you at all. I do care about the fact that you think you need to control every aspect of the art of laser display.

There is no use in me trying to convince you of anything you already know.

I need to continue my efforts to help new laserists all over the world discover that there is a way to do this that won't break your bank or turn you into a total Pango-Suck-Up. There is a lot of room for other people to be innovative.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by highvolt View Post
    I fully support people like James, and I certainly hope that at some point, he can be the "Linus Torvalds" of lasershow hardware/software...

Regards,
    Wim (a guy that is switching to ubuntu)
    Thank you very much!

I'm going to go for my walk now. I think I'll be floating a bit higher now!

BTW LaserBoy runs GREAT in any version of Linux!

James.

Yes bart you are completely right.

@ bart "private" (sorry i have to do this in dutch to properly express myself)
    Bart je hebt gelijk... en ik ben mij er zeker van bewust dat het een irritante bezigheid is.
    Het is ook niet bedoeld als LOLLIG...
    James maakt er een gewoonte van om mensen stelselmatig te beledigen en is continu uit op de confrontatie met gebruikers van andere software en hardware dan de zijne.
    Ik schijt daar een beetje op en behandel hem in div topic op een soortgelijke manier zoals hij andere behandeld.

Het is zelfs zo erg dat er mensen zijn geweest die mij persoonlijk berichten hebben gestuurd omdat ze zich "schaamden" voor zijn gedrag en een verklaring hebben gegeven over de hele situatie..... Het feit dat mensen zich schamen voor zijn acties tov gebruikers en enkele grote uit de industrie is voor mij een teken dat het gewoon te gek is.

Vandaar mij vervelende actie's....
    Je bent tot nu toe de enige die negatief gereageerd heeft hierop.
    De rest heeft er weinig moeite mee, en enkele geven mij gelijk via de PM.

Mijn oprechte excuses naar jou toe, het is niet de bedoeling om jou persoonlijk het leven zuur te maken..

anthony

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by highvolt View Post
    But I can understand why some people want to have it though... People work hard on their shows, and they want to protect it to make some money.
    Exactly. The shows that hobbyists produce are nothing like the quality of the commercial shows that AVI produces. (Or the one's that Mike Dunn sells, for that matter.) I'm glad that they have a way to earn money making their shows, because otherwise I'd never get to see those awesome creations.

I'm also happy that a few people in the hobbyist community have devoted their time to create some shows for free. (I wish more people would do this!) While they're not as good as those commercial shows, they're still fun to watch. (This is also why I try to have a new show ready for every Laser Enthusiast's Meeting to share with the group. So far I'm 5 for 5, with one spare!)
    You are however fighting a losing battle in the long term. (look at mp3, divx, ebooks, etc..) Encryption means nothing once people want something. The fact that the encrypted show format is not cracked yet, is because the laser community is not yet big enough.
    Are you advocating the cracking of the Pangolin encryption? You sound like you're arguing for that (which is contrary to what you said above).

Just because you wouldn't encrypt your own work doesn't mean that the software shoudn't have the ability. You can always save a show with no protection so that any LD-2000 user can play the show. (That's what I've done with all the shows I've made.)

And I'm not too cool with a call to break that encryption standard. While I agree with you in principle that *nothing* is truly unbreakable if you throw enough resources at it, if the encryption *was* ever broken we'd loose the ability to see these truly awesome shows that the pro's produce. (I don't care how dedicated you are, as a hobbyist you're just not going to be able to match the output of a company like AVI - which at one point had dozens of people on the payroll creating shows.)
    I fully support people like James, and I certainly hope that at some point, he can be the "Linus Torvalds" of lasershow hardware/software.
    HA! That will be the day. James is not half the man Linus is. (And no, that's not a slam against James' sexuality.) Linus doesn't crave the spotlight like James does, and Linus understands that sometimes your own desires are less important than the good of the group.

I, too, used to support James. And I *really* tried to give him the benefit of the doubt - long after others had given up. But as others have already realized, James is just not rational about some things. For example, he's been told dozens of times that his "technicolor barf" interface (with no mouse support) is a serious barrier to entry, yet he refuses to acknowledge this (much less fix it).

Then, he completely destroyed any remaining credibility he had with ILDA by basically accusing the entire board of corruption and conspiracy. This was after the executive director graciously volunteered to join the discussion to clarify a few events that James appeared confused about. Not only did James refuse to listen to *everyone* in that thread, but he posted with such vitriol that most of the community has written him off as a lunatic. (And, incidentally, his childish reaction reflects negatively on everyone here at PL.)

I had high hopes that James' software (along with Carmangary's Spaghetti, a sound card DAC, and Dr. Lava's correction amp) would be a slam-dunk solution to bootstrap new hobbyists that could not otherwise afford to get into lasers.

But at this point, I believe James is doing more harm than good. Put yourself in the shoes of a new hobbyist: You meet James, and he help get you started with Laserboy. But he also starts telling you all these wide-eyed stories. Is that a good thing? No.

By recklessly promoting a dead standard (ILDA file format 3), he is encouraging exactly the wrong behavior. By insisting that ILDA is conspiring against him, he tarnishes the image of ILDA and all it's members (including me). And by spouting utter nonsense (or worse, excessive drama) in numerous threads here on PL, he is lowering the signal-to-noise ratio for everyone else.
    I'm an hobby laserist and bought an FB3 because the hardware+software was worth the money in my opinion.
    I agree completely. I believe that the FB3 offers the greatest value for the money today. (Though, admittedly, if you have no money - or almost no money - to spend, then a sound card DAC is better than nothing at all!)
    Bill is very open and supportive to his customers which earned him the respect from the community here.
    James can't accept this. And his vitriol poisons the goodwill that Bill has worked to create between the corporate laser show world and the hobbyist community. Greg Makov, Aaron Bacs, Patrick Murphy... You think these guys would want to show up at a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting only to be accused of conspiracy by James or someone like him? It's this nutcase attitude of his that has to change.

James may be perfectly happy to toil in solitude on his software. As for me, I'd like the assistance of as many people as possible. And when someone like Greg offers to come to a meeting to talk about color theory, or Bill offers to teach me how to tune scanners, or Patrick agrees to give a safety lecture, you better believe that I appreciate it!

Plus, I think it's just good manners to be polite to someone - especially when they're offering to help out. That's why I vehemently refused the calls to "un-invite" James from SELEM this summer. (Yeah, there was a pretty significant call to do just that...) I had hoped that once James got a chance to meet everyone, he'd loose the drama and start working *with* the group instead of against it.

God knows I was more than polite with James, even though I completely disagreed with him on a lot of things. I kept trying to calm him down. (Even after SELEM.) But he never realized that he was throwing away a lot of assistance just because he kept acting like a jerk. And he couldn't see that his continued ranting was starting to reflect baddly on the entire community.

Bah! I've had enough. James may have something creative to offer (something *very* creative, even), but it's not worth all the bullshit. There are lots of other people worth listening to.
    Without that, I would have never bought an FB3. (And still waiting for an SDK!!!!!!)
    You know, that SDK might just be the final thing that cracks the hobbyist community wide open. There are already several folks working on their own software. An SDK for the FB3 would give them access to an affordable DAC that also has tremendous possibilities. (And a fairly large user base.) But Bill's got a lot of other things going on right now... Maybe someday though!
    (a guy that is switching to ubuntu)
    I need to look into that. I played around with Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) a while back, but never really got into it much. I've heard that they've done wonders with ubuntu though. Eh - it's on my to-do list! (But the list stretches out the front door, down the porch steps, across the front yard, down the street, and bumps into the neighbors garage door!)

Adam

Talking

Anthony.

You shit on me more than a little.

You have taken it up to be your task on this blog.

You came into this conversation very late. You have not read the years of exchange I have had with some of these people.

If you read everything I've ever written here on the PL, you will see that I have not insulted any one person directly. I have insulted extremely stupid ideas that have been forced into practice and now effect us all.

And when someone comes back at me with a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with what I had written about, I don't throw any direct insults back at them.

YES! I am a sarcastic, know-it-all bitch.

And I'm right too!

How many other people can you think of that might be able to take my place?

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    Anthony.

You shit on me more than a little.

You have taken it up to be your task on this blog.

You came into this conversation very late. You have not read the years of exchange I have had with some of these people.

If you read everything I've ever written here on the PL, you will see that I have not insulted any one person directly. I have insulted extremely stupid ideas that have been forced into practice and now effect us all.

And when someone comes back at me with a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with what I had written about, I don't throw any direct insults back at them.

YES! I am a sarcastic, know-it-all bitch.

And I'm right too!

How many other people can you think of that might be able to take my place?

James.
    James,

You believe wath you want... no problem...you don't want to see the realworld.
    I may have read more from/about you than you give me credit for.
    All i can say is that i found you a more of a nice creative guy when i did less reading "into" you.
    You keep doing what you do best... (trying to get attention) and i will do what i do until the sain/good people of this forum ask me to stop.
    Maybe is will make it my task on this forum...
    I'm not going into this anymore for now because its just what you are in for....
    Yet another topic where JAMES is the centre of ettention and plays the victim of his own stupidty.

And for the topic starter....
    I am verry sorry for the jamesofftopic in this thread.
    My sincere apology.