Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A different way to make shows: Improvements in 3D rendering

Default A different way to make shows: Improvements in 3D rendering

Currently, there are several widely used methods for creating laser shows. Sequences can be made by manipulating primitive shapes by size, color, rotation, scale, and by manipulating and layering hand-drawn frames. Complex and beautiful patterns can be generated mathematically. Frames can also be created from raster source material with some effort and degradation. Finally, as we have recently seen shows can be created from 3D environments.

One of the limitations of the latter show creation method is in the color space. Limitations in the way the scene is rendered result in objects of solid color, even with multi-thousand dollar software. (images from pango).

While solid outline color conveys the dimensions of the scene adequately, an unfortunate side effect is that the basis of the beauty of projected laser graphics is removed: color transitions and color gradients!

I have been coding a new 3D rendering solution for 3D Studio Max that seeks to overcome this limitation in a dramatic way. By adding for the first time the capability to completely colorize and shade 3D scenes, the versatility of 3D rendering is expanded beyond recognizable shapes and motion which would typically be needed to capture interest. Full scene color gradients and shading capabilities allow the designer to create abstract and morphing scenes from 3D software that hold interest due in part to these color manipulations.

This is still a work in progress but I have made a few quick demonstrations (all in the new 24 bit ILDA 5, if your software has trouble with them, try laserboy or spaghetti, both free) to show a tiny fraction of what is achievable. There are two ilda files linked from each thumbnail, the 'unopt' version is plain 'vector oriented' ilda and the 'opt' version is the result of running it through LaserBoy blanking and scanning optimization.

Torus Demo:
    This demo is the most basic abstract, demonstrating color morphing through animation.

Color Demo:
    This demo animates the movement of 3 colored lights above a surface, creating color mixing and shading below.

Shadow Demo:
    This demo animates the movement of a light along a path that throws shadows on 'buildings' from a pyramid.

To my knowledge this is the first demonstration of lighting effects calculated from a 3D scene for laser display.
    Hopefully this gives you some idea of what this new solution is capable of and sparks some creative ideas of what you can do with it!
    Last edited by drlava; 10-14-2008 at 15:09.

wow that is some impressive stuff!

good work
    -Josh

This is an absolutely ground breaking effort!

I wonder how many other PL members will recognize the value of this.

Excellent work, drlava!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 10-14-2008 at 21:45.

count me as 1!

its beautiful!

i wish my projector was up and running so i could run these through it!
    -Josh

VERY nice, Andrew! Keep us posted how the project progresses!

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    This is an absolutely ground breaking effort!

I wonder how many PL member will recognize the value of this.

James.
    Nice comment

I believe you'll find a LOT of us measely little non-programming PL members will appreciate his efforts!! His one, straight-forward paragraph with just a few graphic examples will probably gain more positive attention for his efforts than 12 pages of ranting & raving ever will!!

My apologies from diverting from the original post....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Nice comment
    Yep.

If you only knew......

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 10-14-2008 at 21:45.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

Top Man drlava.

Just had a look at those samples! Really amazing!

Btw... how can I optimize/reduce blanking lines with LaserBoy? Don't quite get it yet...
    Here's a sample of what I want to improve.

All professionals know that this renderer will be nothing but a toy program. Who will ever use it. No mater how you do this will never be a match for MAX Conv or Protize. NEVER!!!
    LOL ...I just had to say that.
    Great job Dr Lava. Can't wait to get my hands on a prototype to do testing Color shading....man I was looking for that for a long time. Finally someone've done it. Keep up a great work.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by decix View Post
    Btw... how can I optimize/reduce blanking lines with LaserBoy? Don't quite get it yet...
    Here's a sample of what I want to improve.
    the default setting in laserboy will optimize everything it saves.

so al you have to do is open the file you want to optimize and then save the file using laserboy and it is then optimized.

but to make sure this is enabled or if for some reason you wanted to disable it you can go into user interface (press u) then look at option e(optimize) there should be an arrow pointing at it indicating that it is enabled.

to disable simply press e and the go back t what you were doing
    -Josh