Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Dear Leader, more like Fidel or Mao Tse Tung reincarnate !

I will have to somewhat respect him once he is sworn in.

That will be useful with my Bill and Monica Frames.
    My favorite Dear Leader imitation is on Mad TV.
    The Kim Jeong Il Show.

James Frame looks good in anarchy and zoofscope
    Antony's frame will look good too.

Steve

How's my greenie, weenie?

James.

While his election shows the American Republic has made great strides since the time of the Civil War, I fear that we are just one more step towards apathy and governmental dependance, which will lead back to bondage. But hey, maybe universal healthcare will work better now than it did in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post

Yeah, what he said....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

im just waiting for the rapture at this point..

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    im just waiting for the rapture at this point..
    What I'll never understand is why the repubs picked a uneducated (flunked/expensed out of 4 different colleges) soccer mom who couldn't speak well, never traveled the world, showed up at the places in jeans and flannel and needed a 150,000K makeover. She got torn apart by Tina and Katie's writers. I can understand after watching Northren Exposure how she got elected in Alaska, after all, nobody wants a boring day job up there in the land of 3 foot mosquito. Somebody forced her on McCain, did you see him nearly shove her away at his speech last night ? I think shes like a teenager who never grew up. So many other skilled women in the republican party and they picked her.

Problem is, the folks being suggested for Obama's staff are really old, old line democratic pols, many of whom have been flushed from office(ie Kerry, Datshule et al). iF HE DOESN'T PICK A SKILLED new staff, and not just Polosi approved hacks, we're screwed (and so is he) Since the dems don't have the magic "60" seats in the senate, the repubs can fillibuster, so some balance will be restored. Jeeze, they are talking about bring back a 80 year old former federal reserve chairman for secretary of the treasury and Kerry for sec-state. If they were smart they'd keep Condi or bring back proven Madeline.

Yes Lord, take me home, I want off this planet. The greatest nation in the world has been screwed by its leaders from both sides.

Congrats folks, you just elected a corporate lawyer as a president, you will reap what you sew. Remember, a corporate lawyer looks at "the art of the possible" for his client, not the constitution like a defense lawyer.

What amazes me is the folks partying in the other nations of the world, don't they realize we're broke and he can't help them?

Yes Lord, take me home, I want off this planet. The greatest nation in the world has been screwed by its leaders from both sides

James, your laser is on the test bench, and I'm not a weenie. It appears 100:1 polarized, not great, like 500:1, but it will work with losses of a half milliwatt or so to phase loss in the AO cell. The power transfer will thus be determined by the Bragg effect. Now I just need to see if the polarization rotates with temperature. Ie squirt it with Komponent kooler and see if the ratio of polarization and its orientation stays the same, With DPSS you have to check that, because unlike a gas laser, small differences in the crystal index of refraction will case a favored polarization in low cost YAG if it doesnt have a intracavity plate, if this laser is truely vandate and thus inherently polarized, no change in orientation will occur. . It takes a beamsplitter cube and two polarizers and two detectors to test so power drops from the equation. If the laser were more strongly polarized, just a piece of polarizer would do. I did the initial check visually, and trying to measure green by eyeball is a mistake.

for those who cant figure out what the *&^% I'm talking about, in unpolarized lasers, the polarization usually divides itself between two polarizations at right angles to each other, each new lasing longitudinal mode being in a opposite mode tp the last one. In a gas laser without brewster windows, , the power would be close to 50/50 or 60/40 between the two states, and depending on subtle temperature changes, the two polarizations would spin slowly with time along the axis of the laser cavity. So if you have a pure nd:yag with a poor quality crystal, it will favor one polarization quite a bit and act like a polarized vandate laser , till you change temperature. The professional term is inhomogeneity in the crystal or optics.

In a Nd:vandate laser, used in most low cost Chinese lasers,The vandate is birefringent and has a preferred axis of polarization, the quality of which is dependent on the quality of the crystal growth and structure, and the angle from which the vandate was cut from the mother crystal. But vandate will always be strongly polarized. Since I cant measure the slight difference in wavelength between vandate and yag, I have to test James's laser the hard way to rule out a poor quality yag crystal (hey its a 35$ module, so we're expecting great quality control, right??)

In most higher power vandate DPSS, you would just stick a polarizer in front of the laser and watch the power meter to be sure. But James laser is mode hopping like frying bacon, so I need to be really, really, sure.

Trying to get stuff done to make some money, so it will be a day or two for more results. James, remember to get a matching mounting block/heatsink

Steve.
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-05-2008 at 07:50.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    What I'll never understand is why the repubs picked a uneducated (flunked/expensed out of 4 different colleges) soccer mom who couldn't speak well, never traveled the world, showed up at the places in jeans and flannel and needed a 150,000K makeover. ....
    'Cause she looks REAL good in them jeans!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    'Cause she looks REAL good in them jeans!
    Ok,lets start a new Party: The Them Jeans Party:

Hum, Christina Applegate and Cathrine Heigle?, Paris can be press secretary and Amy Poehler for sec-def?

Applegate actually has brains,knows how to manage money , and looks damn fine after the reconstructive surgery. Besides she could sing and dance Putin to any treaty she wants.... And having seen her speaking on healthcare for a charity, she knows how the system is messed up by personal experience.

Just being sarcastic, there are many hard working qualified women in politics, but if we're voting on looks, we'll have to lower the minimum age for prez.

IMHO Palin was way too tall, and I feel guilty for talking like that about a married woman.

Steve

Steve, I know you're not a weenie. It just rhymed!

Could you keep all of us up-to-date on the green + AOM. I think there are several people who might get a lot of benefit out of this.

I'd be glad to buy the parts and stuff from you if mine was the first working example you take pictures of!

BTW, I have a whole directory full of pictures of guys. Some of them still have their jeans on.

Should I share?

James.