Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA Man jailed for Laser!!!

Default USA Man jailed for Laser!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

people will NEVER EVER learn!!!

From Pat Murphy, Exec. Director, ILDA-

"I just returned from the SAE G10-T Laser Safety Subcommittee meeting. Apparently, earlier this week a California man was sentenced to two years in jail for shining a 3.3 milliwatt (that's MILLIwatt, not watt) laser at an aircraft. I have not seen news reports on this, but I did get the information from one of the SAE G10-T members who testified at the sentencing hearing.

I hope all ILDA Members will help get the word out that aiming lasers anywhere near aircraft (or cars, etc.) may lead to arrest and even jail, and may lead to bans on laser pointers in Canada, the U.S. and elsewhere (like New South Wales, which already banned laser pointers).

-- Patrick Murphy, ILDA Executive Director"

Can you believe it?? what are people thinking?? seriously?? i know WE, as in LASERISTS, know the dangers, but what is going through these idiots minds when they decide to do this?? i mean is it REALLY thjat cool to try and hit something 20,000 feet away with a red or grene dot?? was i sick that day or something?? i think people need to have more sex!!

what is the "fun" and "WOW" effect of trying to shine a dot on something??

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

People will never learn ...

One good way to help would be to stop it being shown on the media. since people will watch it and go "Oh I never knew green lasers were that cheap, I might go out and buy one"

Not really much you can do to stop individual people

Not really much you can do to stop individual people
    WELLLLL...............WHY THE HELL NOT????????
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

OK then, go fly around in a helicopter for a few nights and scan the area ...

It Interesting that he makes reference to New South Wales (for those that don't know it's in Australia with Sydney as its capital City)

I looked up the laws a while back when they got passed and they're pretty tight (but reasonable), basically anything greater than 1mW and you'll need a prohibitive weapons permit for it or face either a $5500 fine or upto two years imprisonment.

Taken from the New South Wales Police web site:

Laser Pointers

Laser pointers are hand held, battery operated devices designed or adapted to emit a laser beam that may be used for the purposes of aiming, targeting or pointing. In recent times, some members of the public have acted irresponsibly by directing the laser beam into the cabins of motor vehicles and the cockpits of aircraft. This reckless practice can blind drivers and pilots and has the potential to cause significant loss of life.

To put a stop to such behaviour, the Government has made it an offence for anyone to have a laser pointer in their custody in a public place or to use a laser pointer in a public place without a reasonable excuse. If a police officer has reasonable grounds for suspecting that you are in possession of a laser pointer in a public place, they may search you, confiscate the laser and commence legal action.

The NSW Police Force understands that people use laser pointers for legitimate purposes and that some people need to carry their laser pointers around with them. For example, some teachers and builders use laser pointers in their jobs and need to carry them to and from their workplaces. Low powered laser pointers will continue to be available for such uses. Other people carry lasers to pursue hobbies such as astronomy. Rest assured that if you have a reasonable excuse for carrying your laser, then there will not be a problem.

New legislation also restricts who can possess and/or use laser pointers with a power level of greater than one milliwatt. From 18 July 2008 you will require a permit to possess or use such a laser pointer, unless an exemption applies to you. To apply for a permit, you will need to contact the Firearms Registry on 1300 362 562 or visit www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues/firearms/prohibited_weapon_permits. Permits will only be issued to applicants who have a genuine reason for having such a device. For example, that the laser pointer is required for the type of business/employment in which you are engaged.

Note that you will not need to obtain a permit to possess/use a laser pointer with a power level greater than one milliwatt if you are a member of an approved astronomical organisation.

Also be aware that if you obtained the laser pointer before 18 July 2008, you will not need to obtain a permit until 1 December 2008. Thereafter, if you wish to retain your laser pointer, you will need to obtain a permit through the Firearms Registry.

Laser Pointers - Questions and Answers

The following relates to the changes which are now law. These laws apply to all laser pointers, regardless of their power level.

Q: Am I allowed to own a battery operated, hand held, laser pointer?
    A: You are allowed to own such a laser pointer. However recent amendments to the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 require a permit be issued (or the person be eligible for an exemption) where the laser pointer exceeds one milliwatt. Regardless of the milliwatts, no laser pointer can be carried or used in a public place without a reasonable excuse.

Q: What is a reasonable excuse?
    A: A reasonable excuse will be determined on a case by case basis but examples of a person with a reasonable excuse could be an amateur astronomer, a teacher or a lecturer who uses the pointer for astronomy or teaching and has it in his or her possession at the relevant time for that purpose.

Q: What is the penalty?
    A: The penalty for possession or use of a laser pointer in a public place without a reasonable excuse may be up to two years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5,500.

Q: Can the police search me if they are looking for a laser pointer?
    A: Laser pointers are now classed as dangerous implements under the Law Enforcement (Powers and Responsibilities) Act. This gives police the power to request a person in a public place (but not a school) to submit to a frisk search if the police officer suspects on reasonable grounds that the person has a laser pointer on them.
    A police officer also has the power to confiscate the item if the laser pointer is unlawfully in the person’s possession.

Q: Are medical lasers, laser-based tools and other such devices covered by these laws?
    A: The law relates to battery operated, hand held laser pointers.
    ‘Laser pointer’ means what it is commonly understood to mean - a device for pointing out an object.
    Laser devices that are used for medical purposes are unlikely to fall within this definition. In any case, a surgeon would be able to point to their occupation as a reasonable excuse for possessing a laser pointer in a public place,
    Similarly, if the device is powered by mains electric power, it is not battery operated and so is not covered by these laws.
    Similarly, various laser measuring or levelling devices used in the building industry should not be affected as they are not ‘pointers’. In addition, they are not held in the hand while being used and so are not ‘hand held pointers’.

Q: Are any laser pointers prohibited?
    A: Laser pointers with a power output of more than one milliwatt are now prohibited weapons. You must obtain a permit to possess or use a laser pointer that is in this category, unless you use the pointer for activities associated with astronomy and are a member of an approved astronomical association.

Q: How do I get a permit to use a laser pointer whose power is over one milliwatt?
    A: You must make application to the NSW Police Firearms Registry (telephone: 1300 362 562), website www.police.nsw.gov.au/firearms. Permits are not granted automatically. You must have a genuine reason for the use of such a laser pointer.

Q: What is a genuine reason?
    A: It is not possible to provide an exhaustive list of genuine reasons. Each application for a permit will be assessed on its merits. An example of a genuine reason would be if an applicant could demonstrate that a laser pointer greater than one milliwatt was required for business/employment purposes. Other reasons listed under Section 11 of the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 include, recreational, sporting, film/television, theatrical and scientific purposes.

Q: Are there any exemptions to the need for a permit?
    A: If you are using the pointer for activities associated with astronomy and are a member of an approved astronomical association you are not required to obtain a permit.

Q: What must I do if I currently have a laser pointer with a power level of more than one milliwatt?
    A: If you want to keep the laser pointer and you are not a member of an approved astronomical organisation, you must obtain a permit from the Firearms Registry by 1 December 2008.

If you do not obtain a permit, then you should safely dispose of the laser pointer. Unauthorised possession/use of such a laser pointer is a criminal offence.

So one has gotta ask, how do you "safely dispose of the laser pointer."
    give it to a five year old to play with

Looks like I'll need to get a permit for my 10mW LP

Cheers
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Things

There's another good reason the media should be stopped from reporting on events like this.

That is, for complete tossers like this guy that does aerial traffic reports around Sydney that sensationalise the media to gain exposure.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/art-attacks-reporter-not-lasers/2008/04/23/1208743030294.html
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

"Similarly, if the device is powered by mains electric power, it is not battery operated and so is not covered by these laws."

Well i'm safe then. Then again, do these laws apply to NSW only, or is it the whole of AU?

I currently only own a 100mw Cni module and a 10mw green module somewhere, so I am totally legal (If I keep them away from planes people etc, of course).

If its just NSW, then I guess im fine in all aspects. What about import?

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    "Similarly, if the device is powered by mains electric power, it is not battery operated and so is not covered by these laws."

Well i'm safe then. Then again, do these laws apply to NSW only, or is it the whole of AU?

I currently only own a 100mw Cni module and a 10mw green module somewhere, so I am totally legal (If I keep them away from planes people etc, of course).

If its just NSW, then I guess im fine in all aspects. What about import?
    The details I posted only cover NSW, Melbourne has similar rules that have actually been in place longer and I think are much stricter.

I think WA has something in place as well but I haven’t seen anything for the other states.

Apparently Customs do now have rights to examine suspected goods and confiscate illegal items.

You should be fine as long as you don’t run you projector of a car battery

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    OK then, go fly around in a helicopter for a few nights and scan the area ...
    I LIKE that idea!!!

Who wants chip in on gas?
    I can do the flying!!

Will work for beer...to come AFTER the flying, of course!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Deserved what he got if deliberate but one thing I do hate is the way eye damage or temporary effects are often exagerated in these cases.