Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FlexMod Driver

Default FlexMod Driver

I picked up one of the FlexMod drivers from drlava a few weeks ago and finally put it through what I thought would be its best test, Raster. The video I uploaded is only in 1 color, for now, as you can see, it does a very good job. I apologize for my camera going in and out of focus. Nice work drlava! I think I'll be back for more soon.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81874943&hl=en

The drivers can be purchased here: http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/FlexMod01.php

Hey, DZ -

What diode did you use, and what power supply voltage, current setting adjustments, etc. did you use for the driver?

Thanks!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Hey, DZ -

What diode did you use, and what power supply voltage, current setting adjustments, etc. did you use for the driver?

Thanks!

Randy
    Hey Randy, it is a DT-0811 diode, I haven't tried the PHR-803t diode which seems to be a little more abundant. I'm using a 6VDC wallwart, diode is biased at about 25mA and the top end is only set for about 70mA.

The DT-0811 diode lases at a higher wavelength than the PHR-803t diode, in my very crude measurements, the DT-0811 diodes comes in at 412.5nm and the PHR-803t diodes comes in at 404nm. The 412.5nm estimate seems to be more of an exception than the rule though. I had a guy from LPF send me 4 other DT-0811 diodes and they came in at 404, 407, 408.5 and 407 again.

Cool -

What's your estimate of beam power with your configuration, and have you tried mixing that with your blue laser?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

If I had to guess, its probably only doing about 40mW. The guy I bought it from had it running at 100mA and it was doing about 70mW. Even at only 70mW it looked brighter than a PHR-803t doing nearly 150mW! Anyway, I haven't mixed it with dpss blue and probably wont be, I just have this setup on a small plate for testing scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    If I had to guess, its probably only doing about 40mW. The guy I bought it from had it running at 100mA and it was doing about 70mW. Even at only 70mW it looked brighter than a PHR-803t doing nearly 150mW! Anyway, I haven't mixed it with dpss blue and probably wont be, I just have this setup on a small plate for testing scanners.
    you absolutely scored with the 412nm!

i dont think either of the two sleds can really be guaranteed a higher or lower wavelength since there are some people that have has 410+ 803t diodes and some even lower than the visable spectrum.

same goes for the 0811 some are high some are low.
    the bad part about these diodes are they vary so much, so you never know exactly what you are getting and what its capable of until you put it through some tests.
    -Josh

Hi, thanks for the post. I knew the driver was good through simulations and oscilloscope/laser tests, but it's cool to see the tests others are able to come up with using their advanced scanner hardware and control software. 412.5nm! that is excellent. I have seen the difference 408 makes verses 405nm, would you estimate 2 or 3x increase in apparent beam brightness of the 412.5nm over 405nm at the same power?

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    I have seen the difference 408 makes verses 405nm, would you estimate 2 or 3x increase in apparent beam brightness of the 412.5nm over 405nm at the same power?
    Hmm, I don't really recall exactly how much brighter it was over the PHR-803t diode, I just remember it being brighter. I bought the two from a guy on LPF, sadly the PHR-803t didn't last long, as I was trying to determine its wavelenght, it failed. I replaced the diode and backed the current down to something a little more reasonable so I wouldn't have to worry about a duty cycle. The guy was nice enough to offer a free repair, however I declined and repaired it myself since I figured it would be a nice learning experience.

What scanners were those?

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

dt40 pros i believe since thats what he sells
    -Josh