Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firing Something Other Than Lasers...

Default Firing Something Other Than Lasers...

My brother and I went to the range today and brought back some pics to share. We brought the 10mm 1911, The .22 Anshutz, a .22 P98 and a S&W .357 Mag.

This is the first time my little bro went shooting. He's really a good aim and safety conscious as well. Guess those video games really do help! We went through almost 500 rounds of .22.... Can't beat the price! Also got a chance to check out some of my neighbors toys like the .223 HK. Wish I still had my Styer.

Anyway, No pics of the 10mm. Ammo is hard to find and we only had a handfull of rounds. My dad custom built that one and it's awesome too. A freakin hand cannon with a 2LB trigger pull.

Altogether, It was a great day!

Enjoy!
    Adam

Last edited by 300EVIL; 10-19-2008 at 20:39.

Ok so you can buy guns and cannot buy lasers (above 5mW) in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by Mille View Post
    Ok so you can buy guns and cannot buy lasers (above 5mW) in the states?
    Um,,, No, I can still buy whatever laser I want. I own many Class IV lasers. However, that may change soon if idiots keep doing stupid things with them....
    The US is still a (somewhat) free country.

Whoa, this is my sort of thread

I used to be into match target pistol shooting big time. I had a S&W .357 magnum and a FAS 604 .22 RF. I also have some air weapons, a Steyr LP10, an Air Arms S410k and up until recently a Steyr LG100 Field Target rifle and a Steyr LP5.

The law changed in the UK and we had to hand over our firearms for destruction. It broke my heart seeing the S&W go. It was a blueprint model and handled like silk.

So now all that's left for us is air pistols. Having said that though, I think the target sport enthusiasts have pulled together and the sport has grown stronger. Getting rid of all the 'big' stuff also got rid of all the people who just liked owning the biggest baddest guns money could buy. What's left now are people who love the sport.

I've shot up to County level, sadly, I was never good enough for the national squad

Those are great pictures and bring back some great memories, thanks for posting them.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Whast the point though?
    Don't mean to offend but it's just making use of somthing with kills many poeple daily.

Ok I take the question back.

I dont expect people to undestand why I enjoy lasers.
    Last edited by laserLips; 10-20-2008 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    Whast the point though?
    Don't mean to offend but it's just making use of somthing with kills many poeple daily.
    Well Graham, the point for me is that it was something I was extremely good at

I was never much good at physical sport due to some strange plumbing in my heart. I therefore looked for less demanding sports. One day when I was around 15 a friend took me to a farm to do some 'ratting'. I never actually shot a rat, but I did enjoy shooting at nearby tin cans and I felt it was something that I could quite enjoy.

I looked for a local club and encouraged by my parents I went and joined. I wanted to learn the discipline of shooting at paper targets and how to handle guns safely. From that point I was hooked, it was just me, the gun and a piece of paper with some rings on it. Encouraged by the older members of the club I practiced until I was good enough to join a club team doing postal shoots (cards shot in the club and sent away to be compared/scored against other clubs).

I eventually started to go to shoots around the area (mainly held in sports centres for air pistols/rifles). It was great to meet other people with a similar interest and I developed discipline and committment. Gradually I got better and was asked to join the club team so I could now shoot with some meaning.

I won medals and cups and got higher and higher scores. Eventually I was approached and asked if I would consider shooting for Yorkshire County. This I did for a number of years before suffering from ill health 1999 to 2002 ish. Sadly, i've never really got back into shooting since then, although I still love the sport.

I've never been one for shooting anything living. It's paper targets for me, if you've never tried it you perhaps ought to give it a go. It's much more difficult trying to get all those shots in the ten ring than you may think

I suppose if you think about *any* sport or hobby you could ask what's the point. What's the point of kicking a ball around a piece of grass and trying to kick it inbetween some posts - I don't get that at all, to me that's totally mind numbing But hey, lots of people do enjoy it so that's great.

I suppose you could also ask whats the point of playing with lasers... I get it, most of the folks on this forum get it. But ask your average man/woman on the street and they simply won't get it at all

Oh, and one final thing... Guns don't kill people by themselves, i've been shooting over 30 years and never had the desire to point a gun at anyone. You get numpties in any walk of life. Just look at these idiots who shine thier pointers at aeroplanes. They're likely to get lasers restricted just as guns were in the UK... think about it.

I am proud of what i've acheived in the shooting fraternity, but nowdays I tend not to speak openly about my shooting as it's not seen as politically correct and people frown whenever guns are mentioned. Sadly, your comments are typical of someone who doesn't understand the sport

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Sorry, just see it as bad because of what the overview of guns is all about. You may be using them for sport but it's a derivative of its original intention.

I should give it a go. I’d probably love it.

Thinking about it it's probably a good thing as people become responsible with gun.
    I live in London and hate the fact that I could be walking past complete plonkers with guns and knifes ready to use them at a drop of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    Sorry, just see it as bad because of what the overview of guns is all about. You may be using them for sport but it's a derivative of its original intention.
    This is the problem though. People don't differentiate between those who use them for sport and those who use them to kill.

To draw some sort of analogy... This may happen to lasers eventually, as higher powers become easily accessible in smaller and smaller modules. There will be those of us who are responsible and those who aren't. Sadly in the public's eyes all lasers will be seen as bad as they are unable to differentiate .

I should give it a go. I’d probably love it.
    Maybe you ought to try, it's not as easy as you think. Oh, and you're only allowed to hold the pistol with one hand

Cheers

Jem

As someone who also shoots in the Uk, I have to agree with Jem.

All these shootings you hear about are frequently blamed on gun onwership by left wing elements who have their own agenda to get all guns out of public ownership, but the reality is, most gun crime is carried out by criminals using illegal obtained weapons bought on the black market.

The very fact that nearly all UK gun crime is handgun crime, 10 years after hand guns were banned is a good indication, although blame and calls for more gun restrictions still fall on the legal owners of other non banned weapons.

Its also interesting to note that the amount of hand gun crime has also increased since the ban!

The fact is, the UK had very little problems with legal hand gun ownership due to its strict safe keeping laws that required all guns to be kept unloaded in a safe when not in use. This prevented all of the crimes we see so often in America where teenagers take guns to school to attack classmates. In the UK, they simply could not get a hold of them as the UK actually requires the key to be on the person holding the certificate at all times and the spare to be kept by another licence holder or in a safe at the bank. Its actually an offence to allow another person access to the key.

Also, the one attack we did have that led to the ban, Dunblane, (think Columbine in the US), was carried out by a man who was derranged, who'd allegedly shown signs of instability prior to the incident but never had his licence revoked, and whom would almost certainly have obtained an illegal weapon to carry out the attack had he not had access to a legal handgun himself as it appears he was extremely determined.

Its unfortunate that crimes like that will always happen occassionally, however a total ban is neither the answer nor an effective means of preventing it given the ease wth which illegal weapons can be obtained.

On the original topic:

Nice pice by the way. Would love to fire the Steyr.
    Last edited by White-Light; 10-20-2008 at 05:11.