Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 3D Webcam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default 3D Webcam

    Hi all

    Saw this over on the holography forum, it's kind of neat

    http://www.minoru3dwebcam.com/

    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  2. #2
    soforene's Avatar
    soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,920

    Talking

    I wonder what the porn industry's take on this will be as they usually lead on web innovations?

    Hmmmm... the possibilities ....................

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    I wonder what the porn industry's take on this will be as they usually lead on web innovations?

    Hmmmm... the possibilities ....................
    It's funny, I was sort of thinking that but decided to be refined and not mention Porn

    You just went straight for the killer app

    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  4. #4
    soforene's Avatar
    soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    It's funny, I was sort of thinking that but decided to be refined and not mention Porn
    Gawd bless ya, Sir.
    You are a true English gent.

    I'll stay in the corner in me dirty raincoat (accompanied by Karl).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cairns, Australia
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Its just really 2 camera's and some good software. The hardest part of a DIY one of those would be the software ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Gawd bless ya, Sir.
    You are a true English gent.

    I'll stay in the corner in me dirty raincoat (accompanied by Karl).


    How big is the corner, cause I bet there'll be lots of people joining you
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Its just really 2 camera's and some good software. The hardest part of a DIY one of those would be the software ...
    Reality check!!!!!!!

    Do we *Really* need to know how it works
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,704

    Default

    Come on Jem as an optician you should be an authority on this.

    I'll let the cat out and spoil the fun (with my limited knowledge).

    Its just stereoscopic vision. By placing the cameras the same distance apart as your eyes, each camera gets a slightly different view of the world that corresponds to the view each individual eye would get.

    By then combining the footage into a single film and colouring one image green and one red, you can then filter the images back out using the coloured glasses so each eye only sees one image from the film thus giving an individual but different image to each eye as seen by the original seperate cameras and as seen normally by the eyes. The result is a 3D image as the slightly different perspective from each eye when combined by the brain gives depth. Or to put it mathematically it gives it vectors. With a single eye you only have a straight line of sight to an object so you don't know how far away it is. With 2 eyes and each with a slightly different view, drawing a straight line of sight from each eye to an object results in the lines crossing which in turn then gives a reference point for how far away an object is. Of course you're brain doesn't see lines as such, but it can judge depth from the "unseen" intersection points.

    Exactly the same principle as those early 3D movies at the cinemas which used the same glasses.

    As for 3D porn, I can see some horrible outcomes, imagine a male performer turning towards the screen!!! Might please James, but I'm not sure about the rest of us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Come on Jem as an optician you should be an authority on this.

    I'll let the cat out and spoil the fun (with my limited knowledge).

    Its just stereoscopic vision. By placing the cameras the same distance apart as your eyes, each camera gets a slightly different view of the world that corresponds to the view each individual eye would get.

    By then combining the footage into a single film and colouring one image green and one red, you can then filter the images back out using the coloured glasses so each eye only sees one image from the film thus giving an individual but different image to each eye as seen by the original seperate cameras and as seen normally by the eyes. The result is a 3D image as the slightly different perspective from each eye when combined by the brain gives depth. Or to put it mathematically it gives it vectors. With a single eye you only have a straight line of sight to an object so you don't know how far away it is. With 2 eyes and each with a slightly different view, drawing a straight line of sight from each eye to an object results in the lines crossing which in turn then gives a reference point for how far away an object is. Of course you're brain doesn't see lines as such, but it can judge depth from the "unseen" intersection points.

    Exactly the same principle as those early 3D movies at the cinemas which used the same glasses.

    As for 3D porn, I can see some horrible outcomes, imagine a male performer turning towards the screen!!! Might please James, but I'm not sure about the rest of us.
    At the risk of sounding a smartass, I already know all that ... But as I said... Do we *really* need to know how it works ???

    In other words it's the result that people are interested in and not the inner workings

    Jem


    P.S... I'm not actually an Optician, but we do employ a few
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,704

    Default

    I rather thought you would know, but I thought it might be of interest to some.

    Result is always good though.

    On a similar topic, they're currently developing a flat screen tv that does the same but doesn't need glasses, it has lenses that somehow seperate out the pixels from each special film's perspective using pixel sized lenses so each eye sees a slightly different view from the sofa.

    http://www.currybet.net/cbet_blog/20...on_wows_me.php

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •