Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LFI live Player updated for sound card DACs

I've uploaded the script editor to the ilda swap ftp.
    Don't expect too much, I did this a few years ago to help me with the script creation...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard.jpg  

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    Where are the script files you guys have made?? ilda swap??
    look for my post about 10 posts back, its a attached zip file.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TL View Post
    I've uploaded the script editor to the ilda swap ftp.
    Don't expect too much, I did this a few years ago to help me with the script creation...
    That looks pretty cool TL. How do I access the ILDA FTP swap?

BTW, has anyone discovered my spin-the-bottle "feature" yet? As the preview image is displaying on the screen, take the cursor, click and hold down the left mouse button, and then "spin" the image left-to-right or right-to left, letting go of the mouse button while still dragging. The faster you spin the image, the faster (and longer) it will rotate. The cool part is that it applies to all active tracks, and is "additive" with respect to any other translations or rotations currently being carried out by the script. Lots of fun for "live" control of beams and abstracts. The settings for drag speed and inertia can be found "Options -> Preferences -> Live Control".

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
    That looks pretty cool TL. How do I access the ILDA FTP swap?
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...66&postcount=2

Thanks drlava, and thank you TL. I just tried out your script editor, and it's great! Simple, robust (so far), and having the documentation with the hyper links right there absolutely ROCKS! Much obliged.

As long as I'm doing the "thank yous", I've neglected to thank drlava for creating the EzAudDac.dll, and for assisting me with the LFI Player integration. Without him, the old version of LFI Player would still be languishing on SourceForge. Thanks also to mixedgas for convincing me that I needed to add the EzAudDac support.

And finally, there's been much in this thread about the LFI Player abstracts. While I've said as much in the user manual and LFI Player FAQ on SourceForge, I'd like to again tip my hat to Rick Gebhardt of Laser Illusions. It was with his kind and generous assistance 10 years ago when I first decided I wanted to write my own software for is Graphics Workstation (GWS) DAC card that I was able to not only get things rolling, but eventually add the abstract console as well. While I've made lots of changes over the years, Ricks's basic abstract algorithms are still the foundation.

P.S. I added the samples from mixedgas to the LFI Player "DemoFiles" and live console, and posted on the ILDA swap FTP. I've started looking through my stuff at home for frames that I've created, and as I have time, will create scripts for them and add to them to the "demo".

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
    And finally, there's been much in this thread about the LFI Player abstracts. While I've said as much in the user manual and LFI Player FAQ on SourceForge, I'd like to again tip my hat to Rick Gebhardt of Laser Illusions. It was with his kind and generous assistance 10 years ago when I first decided I wanted to write my own software for is Graphics Workstation (GWS) DAC card that I was able to not only get things rolling, but eventually add the abstract console as well. While I've made lots of changes over the years, Ricks's basic abstract algorithms are still the foundation.
    that is so cool because about 3 years ago when i first got into laser projections i used laser illusions and i really enjoyed the abstract generator the most!

it was a lot of fun!
    -Josh

Smile

One of the things I liked about Rick's Abstract generator was the fact that some of the best patterns arose out of aliasing distortion...

He had two virtual oscillators that could run up to 100Khz. Of course, that's several orders of magnitude too fast for a set of scanners. But that didn't matter. When the resulting waveform was down-sampled to generate points that would be sent to the scanners, the natural aliasing distortion from such a huge step down in frequency would produce all sorts of strange waveforms (remembering that the base waveform was always a sine wave). I got hard angle corners, square shapes, feathery, spikey patterns, and some really crazy stuff that defied description when I played around with his abstract generator.

Of course, for every combination of settings that worked there were a couple hundred that looked like hash, but after a while you got a feel for what would work and what wouldn't. I would set the two oscillators way up in the range at some goofy multiple of each other and then slide them back and forth until I got something that looked promising. Then I'd tweak one or the other until I got a stable pattern, and finally I'd play with the color speed until it synced up.

Great stuff, really. There are things you can do with that old-school Alphalite software that I haven't been able to re-create with the Pangolin abstract editor yet. (Probably because I don't know enough about it yet.)

Adam

Hmmmm...interesting you bring that up. The huge jumps and crazy changes in scanner direction are the very things which drove me nuts...mostly because what was actually displayed by the scanners did look like hash, while what appeared on the screen generally looked cool. For LFI Player, I added extra points along long jumps and extra points at sharp corners. The result is abstracts that look more in laser like they do on the computer screen...but perhaps I should look into adding a checkbox to disable that...to give the "GWS Classic" look. Not sure my scanners would like it much though...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Just checking, do you have the backslash at the end?

From the player I get the same msg.
    Backslash at the end of what?