Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really really ****** off

Angry really really ****** off

iv been trying to sort out why my scan pro 20s aint working with dave from laser show parts. iv come today to try a few things and someone has put something heavy onto the galvos and snapped the mirrors off them. they dont work at all now and im totally gutted. $320 down the pan

Damn dude, that sucks!!

Hope you got to at least express your discontent with the offending party!!

Hopefully, Dave can help you out with a possible repair - hang in there!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Default re

i normally would have a go at the offending party (my mother) but shes just lost her job so i feel bad saying anything. im emailing dave now to see if i can return them and see if he can repair it all.
    im just really annoyed cause i should have packed the galvos away and i didnt. its my fault really im just so annoyed

Cool

Argh! I feel your pain, Oliver...

At SELEM 2007 someone borrowed my cordless drill. When they returned it, they tossed it into one of the plastic bins I had under my table. Unfortunately, it landed on a set of scanners and broke the mirror off the X galvo! (And yeah, just like you I felt I was mostly at fault for not protecting them against such an impact.)

Lucky for me, Bill Benner was in attendance. He volunteered to fix them right on the spot. He was able to loosen the glue holding the mirror fragment in place on the shaft by using the tip of a soldering iron.

Then he cleaned out the slot with a knife, and inserted the large piece of the mirror that had broken off back into the slot. (He turned the mirror around so the un-broken edge of the mirror was in the slot.) A drop of epoxy held it firmly in place, and after an hour or so the glue was dry.

A quick re-tune of the amp, and I was all set! I ran those scanners for another year without a hitch!

So take heart - the scanners may not be a total loss just yet. Wait and see what Dave has to say.

Adam

DON'T PANIC

get a new set of mirrors

tell your mother what happened so she can be more aware of the value of the stuff she sets heavy things on.

onestoplasershop may have them (they are the cheapest) the mirrors are 1mm (not 1.1)
    the 1.1 mirrors do not fit TRUST ME!

Default re

i tried to repair them similar to what you said buffo but when i turned them on the mirrors did not move so i had a look at the shaft the mirror connected to and it was slightly bent. i tried sorting it but its completly broke. im so gutted. this was only one of the galvos so i only need one. the other only had the mirror snapped. basically i have 1 completly broke galvo with an ok mirror and 1 ok galvo with a broken mirror. all in all im feeling really really stressed and annoyed. you learn from your mistakes i suppose

i had to come on here to calm myself down.

Smile

It's OK man... Take a deep breath. I'm sure you're about ready to punch your fist through a wall or something. (Sorta like I felt when I shorted my 110V rail to ground and blew a couple caps in one of my laser drivers just 3 days before SELEM... I was so mad I felt physically ill!)

You never know what sort of deal might be worked out though. We've got some good folks here. Let's wait and see what turns up.

Adam

those scanners that buffo just talked about are now mine and i ended up breaking the shaft off so they are actually half way to china right now for repair.

i know your pain! you would need to get the shaft replaced and also the mirrors. so sending them back to china will most likely be a must.
    -Josh

Cool re

i know it will get sorted but i just feel like kicking myself
    why why why didnt i pack them away?????????
    its not been the best day cause id planned to go to london this weekend to an event and the coach company cancelled the coach so im trying to find another one quick. it all got a bit much when i looked at my galvos and they were broke.

i nearly threw them thru the window lol

oh well its only one thats totally broke. ill just have to see if they sell them as individual items

cheers i feel less annoyed now.

best of luck and i was pretty down for a couple days due to it but i am not just anxious for them to get finished and sent back
    -Josh