Thread: Need cheap solution to deliver 40W 808nm from SMA diode to FC lenses

Thumbs down Need cheap solution to deliver 40W 808nm from SMA diode to FC lenses

I am in a bit of a situation, I am working with several older (Corrected from sma) FC connectorised Spectra Physics Laser cavities many of these are dual fiber pumped originally by either two J20 or J40 rack mount power supplies with one FC connectorised Laser internal to each J20 (20W) or J40 (40W) unit.

All of the Spectra Physics cavities employ either one or 2 FC inlets.

All my lab equipment utilizes one to four 20 to 40 watt SMA connectorised 808nm laser diodes each.

I have seen SMA/ FC butt splices mechanical but am having like no luck finding two FC cables surplus sure thorlabs will sell some for my firstborn.

I am collecting a number of acromat fc and sma fiber lauch lenses , I have seen these used to optically splice two fibers but not having an in depth knowledge of optical engineering is hindering me trying this.

Any suggestions appreciated I wish I could cleave terminate polish my own laser multimode cables and build some mixed connector type cables that are SMA to FC.

Anyone out there with knowledge of steps required to build a mixed cable from an SMA to SMA or FC to FC would be greatly appreciated. I know that the coherent SMA fibers are 800um multimode and have acceptance angles of 0.29-0.37 typically.
    Last edited by frank_1257; 10-21-2008 at 17:30.
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

OK dump all the fiber stuff you have unless it is PM fiber and launches. Use the HOC lens from Limo in Germany. That will get you where you want to be with respect to the pump diodes....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    OK dump all the fiber stuff you have unless it is PM fiber and launches. Use the HOC lens from Limo in Germany. That will get you where you want to be with respect to the pump diodes....
    how much is a hoc in quanity 1 ?

Steve

Around 675.....shipped
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thumbs down Is that $675 WOW I buy used $80K lab lasers for that kind of $

There has got be cheaper ways to efficiently couple things I just bought a bunch 1x4mm approx grin rod lens looking at spherical ball lenses too.

Around 675.....shipped
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.

Default Mike when you have 160 watts of pump laser at a turn of a knob

Whats a little wasted energy? Well a lot of waste heat to tec or water cool, hey might as well lay down with dinosaurs for a few solid tens of watts of converted 532 or a few of blue.