Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone used AutoTrace?

Thanks. I'll probably drop the idea except for some experimenting on my own.

I am very interesting with autotrace.

But there are too many problems because this software was programed on Linux. So while I use Visual C++ and compile it. too many problems. Has anyone tell me how to solve it?

Quote Originally Posted by shibahime View Post
    Has anyone tell me how to solve it?
    It can't be solved without contacting its creator.
    It's likely to be abandon-ware.

If you look for a free ilda tracer, look at sergeys tools instead.

I actually did some work on autotrace back in the day, adding line thinning and colour quantisation code, but it seems to have been replaced.

It is written in C not C++, so you will want to put your compiler into C mode (C is NOT a subset of C++, they are more then different enough to stop non trivial C code compiling with a C++ toolchain).

I am slightly surprised to hear that it does not build relatively easily on Wintel, as it is mostly vanilla ANSI C. Some of the file IO libraries may be a problem however.

The thing was originally written to trace font glyph outlines and a LOT of the defaults are setup to expect this use, so it may be that changing a lot of the default vales would be needed to make laser tracing work well.

There are also some more modern algorithms that may be much better for our application.

Regards, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post

There are also some more modern algorithms that may be much better for our application.

Regards, Dan.

Can you supply some algorithms? OR some suggestions?