Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing laserboy

Agreed, so the format war argument is moot in this thread.

anyway, i have no clue what format i used.. laserboy is smart enough so i dont have to know

Im telling you, laserboy & spaghetti should unite!!! you guys have something here...... and where one app lacks the other app has......hummmmmmm ,,, lets get it together right now over me..... lol ..... damn music running through my head
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    The common ground is ILDA files.
    From you lips to God's ears!

Thanks for that outstanding comment!

LaserGuy216, was that a Beatles reference?

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 10-23-2008 at 10:08.

There is a difference between "minimize" and "optimize".

Minimize is all about stripping out all of the points that are not absolutely necessary to represent the image. This is to make the data as small as possible for storage and transport.

Optimize adds points as needed to make it possible to display the image with scanners.

If you think about it, it makes sense to first "minimize" and then "optimize"

If you are creating ILDA files for another application, then you do not want to optimize with the default LaserBoy settings, because those settings are best for LaserBoy wave output.

Have a look at the [Tab] system settings menu. The first 5 settings are all about how LaserBoy minimizes and optimizes the vectors.

1 insignificant angle in degrees This is how LaserBoy know if a bunch of vectors are really all on the same line.

2 insignificant distance in points This is how LaserBoy knows if two different points should really be the same one.

3 longest optimized vector in points This is how far LaserBoy will let your scanners travel in any direction in one wave sample.

4 maximum dwell in microseconds This is how long (in wave samples per second) to dwell in the sharpest angle possible angle (180°).

5 lit dwell overhang This is kind of a compromise so that dwell points don't look like bright spots in the projected image.

If you set 3 longest optimized vector in points to something like 2000, then optimize, you'll see it looks a lot more like what you would expect ILDA to look like for another application.

Also note: LaserBoy has a lot of default behaviours. When you save a wave file it will be optimized for display. When you save an ILDA file it will be minimized for size. In the 'u' menu you can turn option 'e' off and LaserBoy will save the data as you see it on the screen.

I hope this helps!