Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: DB-25 ILDA breakout board

i would take one to help the cause and also help on the next projector i build

good idea and it sure would make life much easier!
    -Josh

Ok, I went back and re-worked the board a bit, now it has room for holes to mount the thing to stand-offs, or you can just bolt the db-25 to the side of a projector and let it hang. Either way, it still turned out rather small. Below is the pic of the new board, and a mock up with most of the parts, everything except the LED and resistor. Unless anyone has anything to add, or objections to this model, I'll get it off to be printed next week. You can't see it in the pic, but I labeled just about everything, pins, screw terminals and the switch block, so it should be really simple to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails board2.1.JPG  

mock2.1.JPG  

Put me down for one. This is a great idea!

Hi DZ

I might be interested in one as well

I presume the 16 pin header is ILDA to scanner/Lasers not pass thru, correct?

I have a suggestion that may make it more flexible

If you allow for a 26 pin header to be located directly behind the DB25 so you have access to connect a second DB25 connector for pass thru or provide a different method for connecting to the board

Below is a sketch of what I mean

Also if you are going to include a LED for the interlock, locate it next to the DB25 connector using a right angle mount LED, this way you only need to drill a hole for visibility of it instead of having to mount it in a bezel.

And one other thing to consider is using jumpers instead of the double pole dip switches as they can be hard to acquire in some places. This is unless you’re planning to sell it as a kit with all parts. This is also assuming that the DIP switch is controlling the differential/single ended outputs.

Jumpers should be easy to do:
    Jumper on for single ended – Example =short negative outputs (X, Y, R, G, B) to GND.
    Jumper off for full differential – Example = don’t short negative output (X, Y, R, G, B) to GND.

Does that make sense? (My understanding of converting the differential output to single ended out is too short the X-(for example) to GND then connect to the ground input of the scanner with the X+ to the input of the scanner, please correct me if I’m wrong)

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

I definitely like the "re-worked" compact size - my vote is to go for it!!

Perhaps do an initial batch with the design you have now, and incorporate some of Troy's (loopee) recommendations in a later version?

Either way, I do believe you'll have a product a LOT of us will jump on!

My order stands for now - 2, please!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I'd like one also.....like the idea of a pass through or inline option to allow active probing of signals...or the use of it to test projector wiring in stand alone mode. Opt for a power source to input 5vdc for modulation checks?
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I'd like one also.....like the idea of a pass through or inline option to allow active probing of signals...or the use of it to test projector wiring in stand alone mode. Opt for a power source to input 5vdc for modulation checks?
    YES, what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Hi DZ

I might be interested in one as well

I presume the 16 pin header is ILDA to scanner/Lasers not pass thru, correct?

I have a suggestion that may make it more flexible

If you allow for a 26 pin header to be located directly behind the DB25 so you have access to connect a second DB25 connector for pass thru or provide a different method for connecting to the board

Also if you are going to include a LED for the interlock, locate it next to the DB25 connector using a right angle mount LED, this way you only need to drill a hole for visibility of it instead of having to mount it in a bezel.

And one other thing to consider is using jumpers instead of the double pole dip switches as they can be hard to acquire in some places. This is unless you’re planning to sell it as a kit with all parts. This is also assuming that the DIP switch is controlling the differential/single ended outputs.

Jumpers should be easy to do:
    Jumper on for single ended – Example =short negative outputs (X, Y, R, G, B) to GND.
    Jumper off for full differential – Example = don’t short negative output (X, Y, R, G, B) to GND.

Does that make sense? (My understanding of converting the differential output to single ended out is too short the X-(for example) to GND then connect to the ground input of the scanner with the X+ to the input of the scanner, please correct me if I’m wrong)

Troy
    Hi Troy, thank you for the suggestions. I think I will incorporate the new LED idea. And the way it will work is this, you send a 5 or 12V signal through the interlocks in the projector (cover interlock), then it gets sent to "Loop" screw terminal, which sends it through the pin header to a second projector, then back and down the interlock loop to the DAC (pin 4 and 17), then back to the projector board on "Loop Return" this is where the LED hangs off the "Loop Return" line to common. So if the loop inside and outside the projector is good, the LED will light. There will be two settings on the switch block, which will either turn on and incorporate the path on the ILDA out from the board or just bypass the ILDA out on the board.

Regarding the switch block, I had thought about just using jumpers, my only concern is that it might be somewhat difficult to understand and the possibility of loosing the jumpers. Using a switch block instead I think will make it easier and only raises the cost of the board by about a dollar. Essentially, all it is doing is sending either -XYRGBi to GND. And they will be individually selectable (ignore the photo above of a ganged switch block, the final product will be individually switchable).

Regarding a 26pin header, the only thing I don't like about this is the amount of space it would require, I would have to make the board a bit bigger I think to get all 25pins to pass through. Since, I think, most users will only use XYRGB or XYi (Intensity for single color projectors), I have left the 3 other colors unconnected, there by reducing the pin header to just 16 pins (+XYRGBi, -XYRGBi, loop, loop return, shutter and GND.

or the use of it to test projector wiring in stand alone mode. Opt for a power source to input 5vdc for modulation checks?
    Hmm, I think I see what you mean here Mike, sort of a way to turn on the lasers from the board without a DAC attached? Really in a properly wired projector, that would also mean defeating of interlocks and also sending a signal to the shutter. I'd be worried of someone leaving something like this on and the "test" voltages being fed right into a DAC. A QM2K could handle that since its outputs are protected, but not so sure other boards will. What does everyone else think about that?

Loopee, by the way, I just check out your projector build link in your sig line. Very, very nice work!

Um, I think there are several of us adding a second red. I think I plan to use another color channel for the lower red and maybe a 5th channel for a future 405nm violet. then there is the 445nm blue that we still need to find a killer app for... so we can them afford a couple of them on that sixth and final channel.