Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new toy, baby Nd:YAG laser

Laser Warning new toy, baby Nd:YAG laser

I got myself a new toy, a baby Nd:YAG module, i use 705µF capacitance and about 650-660VDC to light the flash lamp, an old tv hv flyback transformer provides the trigger pulse that ionizes the flash lamp.

A few pics:

And a short video showing what it can do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gktcs8BQQs
    Last edited by Experimentonomen; 01-12-2010 at 00:49.

definatly, you must clean your room guy !

..... and set the date and time of your camera ......
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

To stick with the relevant part of the thread, that looks like an SSY1.. where did you get it, and for how much $$ if you don't mind my asking? Do you have a PFN?

EDIT: nvm about the PFN. Just reread your first post..

I got it from a friend for 125 dollars + shipping. A PFN is coming, i just need to find a suitable inductor.

No point setting the time ant date on the camera, it resets every time i put in/take out the sd card.

Niceeeeeeeeeee, I've had a lot of fun playng with one of these, unfortnately last shot was fatal for the falshlamp (too many joules )

Are you one of the guys on youtube ?

When my calculation is right 650V @ 705uF is 149 Joules. Definitely too much for the SSY-1, the flashlamp will not survive this for more then a few shots if at all .
    I have two of this lasers and 1kV @ 40uF = 20J electrical is enough to get a nive breakdown in air when focused with f=10mm . You will need a pulsforming network (PFN) to match the impedance of the discharge to the flashlamp.
    I attached an image of my setup, complete with DIY Flayback capacitor charger (with hand wound transformer) Capacitor with PFN (the thick red coil) and trigger. capable of two shots per second, sparks the air with every shot .

Andreas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSY1.JPG  

well, that's exactly what I plan to do with my MK367 which need something like 25J to achieve max performance

I have ready-made flyback transformers from some laser printer psus, and I have the capacitors and inductors needed for the PFN

Did you build your charger/PFN on sam's notes?

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post

Did you build your charger/PFN on sam's notes?
    It's more or less the same, yes. Astable NE555 with totem pole drives an IRF840 Mosfet connected to the Transformer primary. The Primary hast two snubber circuits (not included in Sam's schematics I think) which are important to minimize the negative effects of the parasitic inductance of the flyback transformer. Without them the IRF840 avalanches each time it is switched off.
    The voltage on the capacitor is controlled with a comparator which is connected to the HV with a voltage divider.