Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connecting an hp tablet to my laptop

Default connecting an hp tablet to my laptop

im looking at buying a hp tablet.

is it possible to remote from the tablets via wifi onto my laptop and see everything on my laptop screen and control it.

i wana use the touch screen on the tablet to control livepro running on my main laptop?

thanks
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

you can do that with no problems,,,,you would want to do a remote desktop and setup a lan inorder to do so.. that should start you off in the right direction
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

Andy
    first off a tablet does not have a touch screen. It has a screen that reacts to the stylus provided - you cant just use you fingers. As LaserGuy216 said you can use remote desktop which is built into Windows XP Pro however the pc you wish to connect to must have a password in use for it to work plus you must enable RDC in the system properties. Its ok for most things but even though it only uses a low bandwidth connection it can be a little sluggish and may not be quick enough for your needs. For example I just RDC'd into my tablet thats sat next to me (connected through wireless - though it is only 11mbps) and loading a show into Mamba is ok but there is a delay from when I click play (or stop) to when it actually reacts. I would test the theory BEFORE you part with any money

Rob

Edit - the other thing to be aware of is that you have only a small screen on the tab so the desktop that you are controlling will assume the resolution of the smaller screen limiting your available area. I think you would be better to buy a touchscreen monitor and use extended desktop
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

ok fair enough, thanks robs.

ive got an iphone coming so i will test how that works wireless before i look at selling it for a tablet
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Andy
    first off a tablet does not have a touch screen. It has a screen that reacts to the stylus provided - you cant just use you fingers. As LaserGuy216 said you can use remote desktop which is built into Windows XP Pro however the pc you wish to connect to must have a password in use for it to work plus you must enable RDC in the system properties. Its ok for most things but even though it only uses a low bandwidth connection it can be a little sluggish and may not be quick enough for your needs. For example I just RDC'd into my tablet thats sat next to me (connected through wireless - though it is only 11mbps) and loading a show into Mamba is ok but there is a delay from when I click play (or stop) to when it actually reacts. I would test the theory BEFORE you part with any money

Rob

Edit - the other thing to be aware of is that you have only a small screen on the tab so the desktop that you are controlling will assume the resolution of the smaller screen limiting your available area. I think you would be better to buy a touchscreen monitor and use extended desktop

Not so anymore Rob, Toshiba’s new line of Protégé actually do Digitizer and Finger Touch on the screen, however you are correct on the small screen although it’s of higher resolution than most tablets.

I have the R400 tablet and it’s brilliant for creating frames with (not that I’ve made that many, Mamba keeps crashing)

“Convertible 12.1” Indoor/Outdoor Display
    Use this machine as traditional notebook with a keyboard. Or twist it into a Tablet PC for the ultimate in freedom. Now you can tap, write and draw with a digital pen―even finger the touch screen to get things done. And get things done, indoors or outdoors.”

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/portege/M750

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

I really wanted to use touch screen so I got a second hand Panasonic Touch screen tough book, but they were in crap condition and I would not recommend getting one.

I did however manage to talk my boss into getting me a Toshiba Protégé M700... http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...Series/144314/

The screen is a little small and it takes about 3 mins to fully boot up, but the swivel screen is a nice feature and you can change the resolution to suit your needs. Can use fingers or stylus.
    My main issue with this tablet is viewing the screen outside. Unless you turn the brightness up to full, you have no way of seeing the screen. The touch screen has a milky layer, that makes reading the screen a nightmare on a partially sunny day.
    Graham

whats the refresh speed like when remoting onto another computer?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

All depends on the network.

lol well wifi to wifi within a good range?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy
    all the remote clients such as RDC and VNC are known as thin clients. This means you dont shift any data across the connection all that passes is a screen image to display locally and control signals (mouse keyboard etc) go the other way. This means that the actual ammount of transfer is minimised and in theory the client will always use the same fixed bandwidth so once connected you should not be affected by network speed - Like I said in theory!
    Its a great method to remotely do jobs on computers without going on site - I log on to my customers servers this way and its very useful. But its not perfect and will be affected by dropped network connections or a busy network. In your case though you should be the only one on the network so you should get the best out of it. Like I said the best way is to set it up yourself and see how it performs. If you can borrow an XP laptop from someone to try that would do. I would say from what ive seen realvnc will be better then RDC for your needs but its not secure (not the free one anyway) so is not suitable for what I do.
    If you need any help just give me a bell

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk